GBModerator

Milan-Cortina And Newly Branded Stockholm-Åre Submit 2026 Olympic Bid Books To IOC

Bids from Milan-Cortina in Italy and Stockholm-Åre in Sweden submitted electronic versions of their 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid books to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Friday, meeting the important scheduled milestone in an unusually low-key way. The recently re-branded Stockholm-Åre 2026 bid, renamed to recognize the role Åre will play in the regional concept as […]

The post Milan-Cortina And Newly Branded Stockholm-Åre Submit 2026 Olympic Bid Books To IOC appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

A big departure whatever they choose - it’ll either end in tears or be the reboot the Winters need. Out of interest, any idea why Cortina chose Milan for the indoor stuff rather than nearby places like Venice, Trieste & Udine? (If any of those have any arenas) Heck, even Ljubljana is nearer - & Stockholm also has (one, admittedly) international venue. 

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

A big departure whatever they choose - it’ll either end in tears or be the reboot the Winters need. Out of interest, any idea why Cortina chose Milan for the indoor stuff rather than nearby places like Venice, Trieste & Udine? (If any of those have any arenas) Heck, even Ljubljana is nearer - & Stockholm also has (one, admittedly) international venue. 

Wasn't it Milan having to choose Cortina actually to avoid using St Moritz? They seemed to be very ambitious with any kind of Olympics for years already (summer 2020 also discussed, I think), and Cortina isn't fit to be an anchor city itself in the 21st century anyway. Apart from Ljubljana (I'm still waiting for a Slovenian bid - if financially reasonable - to come forward one year because they basically fulfill all the IOC requirements), I doubt any of the other cities you mentioned would ever think about a Winter bid: certainly not Venice which is actively trying to reduce its number of visitors, so why fill the city also in lower season (or risking to be in parallel to the carnival in February/March), Udine has roughly 100,000 population only and isn't touristy and Trieste? That would seem as bizarre as Sochi, I guess.

Ljubljana/Cortina could’ve been a good test of binationalism - & potentially a good Games too. And much closer than Milan. Does Slovenia already have the facilities to host alone, even if not the financial ability/political will right now?

Looks all good apart from the ceremonies plan there will be 4 ceremonies venues for Italy 2026, If I was in the IOC and IPC I would say that all ceremonies must be at San Siro stadium looks like they will bring the Winter Paralympics Games backwoods which is not good at all.  

I would also require Stockholm 2026 to have all their ceremonies at Friends Arena let's not go back to the past with different ceremonies venues, Italy 2026 want to bring the Winter Paralympics Games back to the 1990s with it's ceremonies plan.

21 hours ago, yoshi said:

Ljubljana/Cortina could’ve been a good test of binationalism - & potentially a good Games too. And much closer than Milan. Does Slovenia already have the facilities to host alone, even if not the financial ability/political will right now?

Slovenia doesn't have a luge track, and I'm not sure about 800m vertical drop (both of which could indeed be done in Cortina), but otherwise the country has a huge winter sports tradition, and is regularly hosting World Cups and World Championships in alpine/nordic/biathlon. Indoor venues in Ljubljana and maybe Maribor, and there you have it.

Well if Stockholm win 2026 they’ll have their track in Latvia (!) so we’d know IOC wouldn’t mind them using one of the tracks in Italy, Austria or even Sarajevo if they fix it up. Hopefully if the IOC really do reduce costs we might see a Slovene bid in the 30s - it’d be a good human-scale games there.

PS: Why Latvia? What have they got against Norway that makes them refuse to use the one at Lillehammer? :lol:

Stockholm-Åre 2026 bid chief Richard Brisius has a very difficult job, with low approval from citizens and lack of govt guarantees I guess the committee feels they know what is best for everyone. Is there a risk taking sides with the IOC and forcing a bid with so much opposition?

16 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

Looks all good apart from the ceremonies plan there will be 4 ceremonies venues for Italy 2026, If I was in the IOC and IPC I would say that all ceremonies must be at San Siro stadium looks like they will bring the Winter Paralympics Games backwoods which is not good at all.  

I can understand where you are coming from, but I don't fully agree

While I'm a little iffy about the indoor arena concept for the Para's opening, it's entirely workable and has potential dependent on who is involved. As for the closing ceremony concepts, the Verona Arena would be so iconic for the Games , and likewise I think Buenos Aires showed that outdoor public venues can produce some innovative spectacles (especially when you integrate the historic landmarks surrounding the areas). Don't forget it's only been in recent times that the Winter Para Closing ceremonies have been hosted in a stadium. Both Salt Lake and Vancouver held their closing in their medals plaza . 

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

PS: Why Latvia? What have they got against Norway that makes them refuse to use the one at Lillehammer? :lol:

Norway can host on their own. Latvia cooperating with Sweden (or some other country) is the only way their country will ever get to host the Olympics. And the Latvians are trying to build ties to Sweden to diminish the influence of Russia in their country.

I suppose it also might be easier to move heavy equipment between Riga and Stockholm with cargo freighters and the Baltic ferries.

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, yoshi said:

Well if Stockholm win 2026 they’ll have their track in Latvia (!) so we’d know IOC wouldn’t mind them using one of the tracks in Italy, Austria or even Sarajevo if they fix it up. Hopefully if the IOC really do reduce costs we might see a Slovene bid in the 30s - it’d be a good human-scale games there.

Its common sense really... Latvia is closer then Lillehammer.

45 minutes ago, 2018 said:

Its common sense really... Latvia is closer then Lillehammer.

The common sense is what Nacre posted.  The distance from Stockholm to Lillehammer and Stockholm to Sigulda is pretty similar.  In both cases it's either a flight to a nearby city (Oslo or Riga) and then travel up into the mountains.

More importantly though.. Latvia has no aspirations about hosting a Winter Olympics.  This would allow them to get a small piece of one.  As opposed to Norway which was ready to bid for 2022 until they pulled back and could be in the running for 2030.  So that would complicate matters for them if they got in on the Sweden bid and then tried to get their own Olympics the next cycle.

Oh that’s sensible then. Plus I hadn’t thought that transport etc would actually be easier by ferry than by land over mountain roads. Plus it’d be nice for Latvia to get a piece of the action, & in the sport they’re best at too :) 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:22 AM, mattygs said:

I can understand where you are coming from, but I don't fully agree

While I'm a little iffy about the indoor arena concept for the Para's opening, it's entirely workable and has potential dependent on who is involved. As for the closing ceremony concepts, the Verona Arena would be so iconic for the Games , and likewise I think Buenos Aires showed that outdoor public venues can produce some innovative spectacles (especially when you integrate the historic landmarks surrounding the areas). Don't forget it's only been in recent times that the Winter Para Closing ceremonies have been hosted in a stadium. Both Salt Lake and Vancouver held their closing in their medals plaza . 

It's all about having an equal footing the Verona Arena will be hard with disability issues so it will be the best to have all the ceremonies at San Siro Stadium.