Idea: could the IOC make LA the semi-permanent home of the Summer Games?

By that I mean, with nearly 98% of the venues in place + the 2 gigantic campuses which can be vacated with perhaps' 2 years notice, what if the IOC made LA the every-other-quadrennium home of the Summer Games -- to give itself and the small pool of Tier A+ cities wanting to host The Big One, some breathing room?   
So, after 2028, 2032 will be a free-for-all.  And then everyone catches their breath for a respite for 2036, which would go to LA; while the fight for 2040 starts as early as 2030 & among the losers of the 2032 bid??

Too bad, Russia messed up their own 2014 Games; otherwise, Sochi would make a good semi-permanent home for the WOGs.  

Other ideas?   This is just for discussion's sake.  

On 11/21/2018 at 2:04 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

By that I mean, with nearly 98% of the venues in place + the 2 gigantic campuses which can be vacated with perhaps' 2 years notice, what if the IOC made LA the every-other-quadrennium home of the Summer Games -- to give itself and the small pool of Tier A+ cities wanting to host The Big One, some breathing room?   
So, after 2028, 2032 will be a free-for-all.  And then everyone catches their breath for a respite for 2036, which would go to LA; while the fight for 2040 starts as early as 2030 & among the losers of the 2032 bid??

Too bad, Russia messed up their own 2014 Games; otherwise, Sochi would make a good semi-permanent home for the WOGs.  

Other ideas?   This is just for discussion's sake.  

Nope.  LA is still spending over a billion dollars in venue construction, including $300 million to get the Coliseum ready for track & field.  I doubt LA wants to go through that every decade or so.  Doing it once could be a boon for the city.  Repeating it on a fairly regular basis seems like a bad idea for the city and the likes of USC and UCLA may not want the disruption to happen so often.

It makes a little more sense on the Winter side since those venues will see less use.  Maybe Salt Lake, but even then, going there more than once every 20 years or so would seem like overkill.

• 1 month later...

I've often thought about whether each continent has a designated city, and what cities that may be.

Europe - Paris?

Asia - Tokyo (or Beijing?)

Oceania - Sydney (or perhaps Melbourne which is arguably more 'Olympic ready' in 2018 than Sydney is, despite not hosting recently)

Africa - Hmmm... Durban..?

Americas - Los Angeles. 

It does make you think...Perhaps having LA, London, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo on a permanent standby basis?

I'm grateful that I will be alive for LA to bookend the "Commercial/OTT" era that city began.  The Olympics need to evolve into a "nationwide" like event simply to handle costs. 

I know that LA will set a new standard...It needs to...LA seems to be the benchmark that sets the Games.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Nope.  LA is still spending over a billion dollars in venue construction, including $300 million to get the Coliseum ready for track & field.  I doubt LA wants to go through that every decade or so.  Doing it once could be a boon for the city.  Repeating it on a fairly regular basis seems like a bad idea for the city and the likes of USC and UCLA may not want the disruption to happen so often.

I think Los Angelenos might be OK with it. The key point is that LA does not need to build a new athletes village, and that is the biggest obstacle for the idea of permanent hosts.

It's not a bad idea if we are talking about saving; above all if the IOC will fully pay for the games (we all know or imagine how wealthy the IOC or any other sports international organization) and tax payers stop getting committed to such costly two-weeks sport party debt. Amid this host cities crises, my interest on the Olympics is fading away as well as most of people around the world who evidently don't care the OG are hosted, but we all now care about austerity. about the WOG, they should stay in SLC. Then we could avoid stressing the environment anywhere else in the world. after all, most people don't even understand opening ceremonies, so the IOC and Hollywood may focus on lovely fireworks and Broadway-like shows.