paul

DENVER 2030

15 minutes ago, Maximf83 said:

LA had same numbers and you saw that the anti groups claimed those as fake and I put the polls that they "conducted"       

How'd those anti groups work out with LA?  I imagine they'll have the same lack of success with Salt Lake.  Not because of poll numbers, but because SLC is likely to have their act together and can offer a plan with minimal risk to taxpayers of the city and state.  

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

How'd those anti groups work out with LA?  I imagine they'll have the same lack of success with Salt Lake.  Not because of poll numbers, but because SLC is likely to have their act together and can offer a plan with minimal risk to taxpayers of the city and state.  

I sure hope so.  we need finally Olympics without troubles.  Cost overruns.   Problems.   So maybe the world will embrace the olympics once again

The world already embraces the Olympics, it always has. It’s hosting the expensive damn thing that people in western cities/countries have revolted against. It’s no longer seen as a wise investment as it once was (well, if it ever was). And for that perception to change, looks like it’ll need a lot of frugal work.

3 hours ago, FYI said:

The world already embraces the Olympics, it always has. It’s hosting the expensive damn thing that people in western cities/countries have revolted against. It’s no longer seen as a wise investment as it once was (well, if it ever was). And for that perception to change, looks like it’ll need a lot of frugal work.

That's why you need games like l.a and slc (and possibly Paris though I dont know their entire plan yet) that will show that it's possible to do it on a budget without building extravagant venues like Sochi or Beijing

4 hours ago, FYI said:

Eh, I don't know if that's as true as we would like to believe.  Recent Olympics have had to deal with doping scandals (not that prior Olympics were free of them).  There are athlete shenanigans like with Ryan Lochte from Rio.  The whole USA Gymnastics sex abuse scandal.  Maybe it's an American viewpoint that the Olympics aren't quite as embraced as they once were, but I don't think they're as idyllic as they used to be.  Hosting is a separate issue altogether, even though a lot of the host city issues tend to be over-dramatized in the media.

Yes, an Olympics with less negative press than normal would be a welcome sight.  Easier said than done, of course.

1 hour ago, Maximf83 said:

That's why you need games like l.a and slc (and possibly Paris though I dont know their entire plan yet) that will show that it's possible to do it on a budget without building extravagant venues like Sochi or Beijing

Those are 2 polar ends of the spectrum though.  When London followed Beijing, there was never a notion that they could or should try to replicate that level of spending as it was completely unnecessary to do so.  Ditto for Sochi.  It's not just the costs that are scaring cities off but the demands placed upon them by the IOC.  A lot of cities are rejecting them as much as it's about the cost of an Olympics.  Again, hopefully Paris and LA help the cause.  But it's not going to mean much if the IOC doesn't take a good long look in the mirror and realize that not only are there problems that need to be fixed but that they are 1 of those problems.

Eh, I don't know if that's as true as we would like to believe.  Recent Olympics have had to deal with doping scandals (not that prior Olympics were free of them).  There are athlete shenanigans like with Ryan Lochte from Rio.  The whole USA Gymnastics sex abuse scandal.  Maybe it's an American viewpoint that the Olympics aren't quite as embraced as they once were, but I don't think they're as idyllic as they used to be.  Hosting is a separate issue altogether, even though a lot of the host city issues tend to be over-dramatized in the media.

Yes, an Olympics with less negative press than normal would be a welcome sight.  Easier said than done, of course.

Sure, but what sporting enterprise doesn’t have their own set of scandals/drama? Plus, I think those scandals get exacerbated by the internet nowadays than they did 20-30 years ago. 

But I think you’d agree that when the Olympics are on, the ratings on NBC tend to be very good in general. And hence why NBC still pays mega-Billions in rights-fees to the IOC & have done so ‘til at least 2032 here in the U.S. Plus, when the Games are on, perhaps many watch to see what kind of new scandals/drama can emerge to keep us watching lol.

There are athlete shenanigans like with Ryan Lochte from Rio.

Speaking of, I thought of him the other day when we were all making those Denver MJ puns. He would be the perfect one to light the cauldron at a Denver Olympics. Ryan-made-goofy-face-2004-Olympics.jpg

:lol:

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Sure, but what sporting enterprise doesn’t have their own set of scandals/drama? Plus, I think those scandals get exacerbated by the internet nowadays than they did 20-30 years ago. 

But I think you’d agree that when the Olympics are on, the ratings on NBC tend to be very good in general. And hence why NBC still pays mega-Billions in rights-fees to the IOC & have done so ‘til at least 2032 here in the U.S. Plus, when the Games are on, perhaps many watch to see what kind of new scandals/drama can emerge to keep us watching lol.

They all do, but when the NFL has scandals to deal with, there are games being played 3-4 days a week for the better part of 5 months.  It's not an event like the Olympics that comes and goes in a flash and features sports and athletes most people barely know exist outside of the Olympics.  To that end, for all the negative press that NBC gets for their coverage of the Olympics, credit them for getting millions of people to still care about the Olympics when it has lost some of the clout that it used to have in this country.  And yea, the Internet and social media definitely can over-do it on the negative press (just like with every host where there are all these problems in the lead-up to the Games that never really materialize and then somehow are completely forgotten about afterwards).  But that's the day and age we live in.

Salt Lake Population: 1,300,00 / Vancouver Pop 2,460,000 /Denver Population 2,900,000

GDP(billions): Turin+77 / SLC=84 / Calgary=98 / Vancouver=109 / Denver=198

I-70 Denver to Vail = more capacity currently than Vancouver upgraded Sea to Sky highway to Whistler

Colorado send more athletes to 2018 Oly/Para games than any other state and won 39% of medals

Birds Of Prey

DH-hero-2018.jpg

GS-hero-2018.jpg

SuperG-hero-2018.jpg

GS-race-hero-ted-ligety.jpg

BOP-River2018-Carousel.jpg

Edited by paul

23 minutes ago, paul said:

Salt Lake Population: 1,300,00 / Vancouver Pop 2,460,000 /Denver Population 2,900,000

I-70 Denver to Vail = more capacity currently than Vancouver upgraded Sea to Sky highway to Whistler

Colorado send more athletes to 2018 Oly/Para games than any other state and won 39% of medals

Not right now it doesn't..

Numerous crashes shut down I-70 in the Colorado Mountains

As a passionate boarder who goes to Colorado regularly, I emphasize it is an absolute nightmare driving 70.  The past 4 times ive gone to vail and breck it has taken no less than 3 hours to get there with the traffic and crashes.  

Now, if there was a state that NEEDED the games purely from an infrastructure perspective, it would be Denver.  If it were to widen 70 alone it would be worth the the cost.  I dont think there is a stretch of highway in the country that needs such a desperate upgrade as that stretch of road.  I know Denver will vote it down, but in a sense of practicality, Denver needs the games to justify that much needed interstate expansion.  Its flat out insane that it hasnt happened yet, and that Colorado voters keep voting it down.

Denver has been kicking and screaming about just expanding 70  IN THE CITY itself, let alone into the mountains, and its been a very vocal protest.  I just dont get it, it is such an asspain driving in that city, they really dont like being taxed.  So if they are so vicious about interstate expansion in the city, imagine how much protest there will be in the mountain portion, or an olympics

I can just imagine that any protest in Denver would make the stink show that we just saw in Calgary pale in comparison.

...i ski/board extensively in the western US and Canada.....Utah, Tahoe, Colorado, Jackson, Montana, New Mexico, Whistler, Alberta etc etc......spend weeks each year in Breck, or Vail with family another couple in Aspen w/friends. Of course I've skied everything between Aspen and Steamboat extensively......I will say Colorado is not my favorite destination partial due to travel times from DIA if you can't fly into Eagle or Pitkin. When I ski alone I'm always in Utah...super easy airport and drive up to little cottonwood. But I don't think the drive to summit country is any worse than to whistler......and there's a hell of a lot more to do once you are up the 70. I've been known to get bored at Vail...get up early and do the trek over to Aspen....of course there a lot of places in between too. I always feel a bit trapped in Whistler.....cuz well you are.

Anyway........I LOVE SLC..........but Maybe it would be more fun to see Denver go for it and have a profitable games that could add something to the region.....I'm sick of the fake winter cities hosting.....this is a real BIG winter city in a world caliber snow sport region......I mean it's sorta the LA of US winter cities.

41 minutes ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

Denver has been kicking and screaming about just expanding 70  IN THE CITY itself, let alone into the mountains, and its been a very vocal protest.  I just dont get it, it is such an asspain driving in that city, they really dont like being taxed.  So if they are so vicious about interstate expansion in the city, imagine how much protest there will be in the mountain portion, or an olympics

........traffic is bad in EVERY city these days. I never have that much trouble in Denver.........I'm in the city on occasion for business, I always have a car and honestly I've not been in a snarl often.

27 minutes ago, FYI said:

I can just imagine that any protest in Denver would make the stink show that we just saw in Calgary pale in comparison.

....well yes it's gonna be epic probably, but that rag-tag Calgary organization never made any sense and made an easy target (no offense Calgary....love ya so much). I'm pretty sure Denver would be a waaaaaaay better oiled machine.......and if they can figure out how to deliver a games and profit that would benefit the city then maybe some can be persuaded. (but yes there is cute little salt lake over there holding their skit above their head.)

Edited by paul

1 hour ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

As a passionate boarder who goes to Colorado regularly, I emphasize it is an absolute nightmare driving 70.  The past 4 times ive gone to vail and breck it has taken no less than 3 hours to get there with the traffic and crashes.  

Now, if there was a state that NEEDED the games purely from an infrastructure perspective, it would be Denver.  If it were to widen 70 alone it would be worth the the cost.  I dont think there is a stretch of highway in the country that needs such a desperate upgrade as that stretch of road.  I know Denver will vote it down, but in a sense of practicality, Denver needs the games to justify that much needed interstate expansion.  Its flat out insane that it hasnt happened yet, and that Colorado voters keep voting it down.

52 minutes ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

You know what the irony about that is.  You know where they could have received money to improve infrastructure?  By hosting the 1976 Winter Olympics.  Hindsight tells us the future of Colorado would have benefited from using federal funding to build up the area.  But residents there were against it because they wanted to prevent the building boom in Colorado that happened anyway.

Nowadays, it's a bad idea to tie a major infrastructure project to the Olympics.  Because then you're doing it on their timeline and you have to deliver at almost any cost.  Denver had their opportunity to use an Olympics to benefit the region.  They said no because it was a different time and place.  For reasons that have nothing to do with that whole scenario, it's not the right time and place to do it now either.

30 minutes ago, paul said:

Anyway........I LOVE SLC..........but Maybe it would be more fun to see Denver go for it and have a profitable games that could add something to the region.....I'm sick of the fake winter cities hosting.....this is a real BIG winter city in a world caliber snow sport region......I mean it's sorta the LA of US winter cities.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WTF does that even mean?  Yea, it would be fun for Denver if they had a profitable games.  You know what wouldn't be fun for Denver?  Having a non-profitable games full of cost overruns.  I agree that the management of a Denver bid would likely be head and shoulders above what we just witnessed in Calgary.  But it would be taking a big risk for them where the odds of a positive outcome may not be that great.  Especially since they'd still have to build a lot.  Denver had all the arenas they'd need save for speed skating.  The ski resorts in Colorado already have venues that are more than up to code for a Winter Olympics.  But those missing pieces plus the transportation element of it make it a tough sell.  Especially when Salt Lake is right next door with virtually everything they need ready to go.

what does it mean..............it means Denver is a big rich sexy compelling city that is the gateway to one of the most extensive and diverse mountain sport regions on earth that has produced world class athletes for decades and decades. I mean all hail SLC and all..........snowbird/alta I worship at your alter.........but jeez it's frikin' Denver. It could be an amazing games....somebody need to manage the process and find a way to make a HUGE profit that would benefit the city. This aint Rio.

40 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Nowadays, it's a bad idea to tie a major infrastructure project to the Olympics.  Because then you're doing it on their timeline and you have to deliver at almost any cost. 

.....I don't think there is a plan to rebuild the 70 for it.....maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by paul

Can’t see Denver getting the USOC on board all the while SLC’s there, & could host the Winter Olympics next February if they wanted to :p

1 hour ago, FYI said:

precisely.  If it went to a vote, you can quote me on saying that it wouldnt break 30 percent Yes.  The only way this thing breaks 50 percent is if everyone in denver got a pound of weed as incentive to vote yes.  Other than that, there would be democratic and republican bipartisanship to absolutely scuttle this.

21 minutes ago, paul said:

what does it mean..............it means Denver is a big rich sexy compelling city that is the gateway to one of the most extensive and diverse mountain sport regions on earth that has produced world class athletes for decades and decades. I mean all hail SLC and all..........snowbird/alta I worship at your alter.........but jeez it's frikin' Denver. It could be an amazing games....somebody need to manage the process and find a way to make a HUGE profit that would benefit the city. This aint Rio.

I think we just found their bid slogan..  "We're frikin' Denver!"

Yea, it could be amazing.  Or it could be prohibitively expensive.  So is it worth the time and effort in the first place to make it work when Salt Lake is making their pitch as well?  Most people know about Colorado's connection with Winter Sports (and not just because that's where the USOC has their headquarters), but that doesn't mean you can snap your fingers and and say there will be HUGE profits.  And even if that's the case, we've learned a lesson from Calgary.. who benefits from those profits.  Is it citizens of Denver and Colorado or is it all going to go to corporations and the tourism industry?  That's the question every potential bid city needs to ask.