DENVER 2030

paul

.....well Denver is much bigger and richer than SLC...it would be way more fun to throw a big fat curve ball and put Denver forward and watch what happens. Oh and they definitely should build a sliding track and ski-jump.

why rinse and repeat the past glory of SLC just for the sake of the IOCs failed agenda....mile high makes rice-eccles looks so cute. ....let's have a monster winter games in DENVER!

Dronegenuity-Denver-Broncos-74.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

This is more a Seattle thing.  But hey, we may still see a Murano-made glass torchiere if Milano-Cortina do stage 2026.  

It isn't really my subculture, but I think Seattle is more into edible marijuana since you aren't allowed to smoke marijuana indoors in public buildings in Seattle, and most apartments don't allow you to smoke indoors either. I have heard from various potheads that Colorado is more popular with marijuana tourists for that reason, and we need to change the laws here or we will "lose out" on people coming to our state to do drugs.

Personally I am OK with "losing out" on the stoners. Seattle has the highest per capita spending on the arts in the USA, and I would rather be known for that than vice.

Edited by Nacre

1 minute ago, Nacre said:

It isn't really my subculture, but I think Seattle is more into edible marijuana since you aren't allowed to smoke marijuana indoors in public buildings in Seattle, and most apartments don't allow you to smoke indoors either. I have heard from various potheads that Colorado is more popular with marijuana tourists for that reason, and we need to change the laws here or we will "lose out" on people coming to our state to do drugs.

Oh, my comment was based more on Chilully and his glass-blown sculptures.  

Ah. Gotcha.

The Chihuly thing is weird. His exhibit at the Seattle Center is the top rated attraction in the city on TripAdvisor. I can't think of any other postmodern artists who are more popular with the general public than with art critics. 

And on a serious notice...... it will cost a lot to build a sliding track and a ski jump hill and probably will have to ask SLC to use their anyway. However the bigger problem is a strong opposition in Denver to the olympics, just look on twitter, i can send you some links. Add to that the memory of Denver being the only city to refuse an olympics after winning the bid and i don't think that USOC will take that chance (especially that SLC might be asked to host 2026)

I will be all for it but i dont think it will happen

1 hour ago, Maximf83 said:

However the bigger problem is a strong opposition in Denver to the olympics, just look on twitter, i can send you some links. 

Yeah, share the links. If they’re anything at all like Calgary’s 2026 twitter feeds,’then lol. 

1 hour ago, Maximf83 said:

Add to that the memory of Denver being the only city to refuse an olympics after winning the bid and i don't think that USOC will take that chance (especially that SLC might be asked to host 2026)

Not only that, but the fact that Boston 2024 was such a shamble for the USOC, due to lack of support there (& then had to run to L.A. as the replacsment bid), & seeing how Calgary 2026 defeated in a referendum there just last week, Denver is now a lame duck, IMHO. Especially when the USOC is expected to pick between SLC & Denver next month for “2030” (but “inside memos” say that 2026 is a possibility, if that race completely falls apart). 

Yeah, I say it’s not happening either. Any bid that has the mention of a “public vote” attached to it these days, the USOC (& IOC) will want to stay as far away as possible. And with it especially being Colorado, it’ll most certainly trigger those bad memoriess of the rejection of 1976.

2 hours ago, Maximf83 said:

And on a serious notice...... it will cost a lot to build a sliding track and a ski jump hill and probably will have to ask SLC to use their anyway.

Hence why theres strong opposition these days towards the Olympics (& the problem now of why lots of cities in democratic countries just don’t want them anymore,  including in Denver). People are tired now over the expensive white elephant venues that just sit there once the Games are gone. And it’s the reason why SLC just makes the most sense (just like L.A. 2028 did in the end). Everything needed is already there with a much higher level of support, too..

6 hours ago, Maximf83 said:

And on a serious notice...... it will cost a lot to build a sliding track and a ski jump hill and probably will have to ask SLC to use their anyway. However the bigger problem is a strong opposition in Denver to the olympics, just look on twitter, i can send you some links. Add to that the memory of Denver being the only city to refuse an olympics after winning the bid and i don't think that USOC will take that chance (especially that SLC might be asked to host 2026)

Anyone with memory of what happen back then is at least in their 60s now.  Denver and Colorado were in a different place back then, so that history is meaningless.  The present is what matters and yes, there will likely be resistance to an effort to bring the Olympics there, especially when there's another city 1 state over that's in much better shape to host.  And as you noted, has 2 key venues that Denver would probably have to borrow from anyway.

Shouldn't be a difficult decision for the USOC.  I know some folks with bellyache that it's more of the same old from the USOC and the IOC.  Given the state of the Olympics these days, that's probably a good thing, and not a bad thing.

42 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Shouldn't be a difficult decision for the USOC.  I know some folks with bellyache that it's more of the same old from the USOC and the IOC.  Given the state of the Olympics these days, that's probably a good thing, and not a bad thing.

Unfortunately for the longest time USOC are not known for someone who makes good decisions and rather thinking of the exotic bid.   Boston needed so much work and clearly wasnt the right choice.  Then they were serious also about SF or DC.     I believe Boston is what brought the situation of public opposition to what it is now.   If someone want to thank someone go tweet to Chris Dempsey.  

Btw check out 

Someone started an Denver Olympics support account and he was jumped by opposition in Denver.  Along with support from people who took down Boston and Nolympics LA.   And the guy shut down his account quickly.       

Chris Dempsey is only part of the problem. People were already souring about the (Winter) Olympics before the Boston bid came about. Virtually all of the 2022 (& potential 2022) bids had already been defeated by referendums by the time Dempsey started his thing in Boston. He’s certainly perpetuated things, but people were already getting turned off by the huge expense that was Sochi 2014. If anything, Sochi is what made Dempsey surface.

8 hours ago, Maximf83 said:

I think they are talking about a temporary sliding track and it's interesting to note the US Bobsledded federation is headquartered in Colorado Springs. And with US training ctr in Colorado springs.......I mean the proximate to Denver is one big thing that sort of makes a games in Denver sort of compelling. There is a jump hill over near Steamboat that is in use, but it would need a rebuild.......I think it's a pretty active hill and lots of Olympians train there.....and maybe lots actually came form that area. The issue would be the maintenance cost after.......but lets imaging that DENVER 2030 could make a huge profit (like many US games seems to)....they could conceivably have a legacy plan to cover maintenance cost.

6 hours ago, FYI said:

Hence why theres strong opposition these days towards the Olympics (& the problem now of why lots of cities in democratic countries just don’t want them anymore,  including in Denver). People are tired now over the expensive white elephant venues that just sit there once the Games are gone. And it’s the reason why SLC just makes the most sense (just like L.A. 2028 did in the end). Everything needed is already there with a much higher level of support, too..

In fairness part of this is simply the result of demographic and macroeconomic issues in the western world. It was lot easier to spend money on sports venues when 1) a big chunk of the population is the right age to use them, 2) governments aren't spending huge amounts of money on debt servicing, and 3) when sports are one of the biggest forms of entertainment.

Now we have an aging population and will eventually have to raise the retirement age or face economic ruin, Western governments have fallen into a massive hole of debt, and people prefer to spend their free time binging tv shows or playing video games (or wasting their time on online forums!) instead of getting out and exercising.