Jump to content
mountainboarder_530@yahoo.

The Milan Cortina Italy thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Shadowriver said:

Well milano wins gz ;]

With Milan, 2026 will be big for the Italian Olympic team because it is the year where both games held in 2006 and 1956 will have their anniversaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WD96 said:

With Milan, 2026 will be big for the Italian Olympic team because it is the year where both games held in 2006 and 1956 will have their anniversaries.

Also Torino was in 2006 :>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw Val di Fiemme ski jumping hill is considered lucky to Polish jumpers so im happy in this in this perspective ;]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Marco Ballich supervised the Milano-Cortina bid presentation?  But I bet he's more than happy now that Milano will host (again)!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great choice. Hopefully the increased train service to Cortina become a regular thing so Italy can capitalize on the skiing business during the season for years to come. That makes it very easy for tourists to fly into MXP, a major airport, and then take the train right to Cortina. Ensures longevity with tourism.

 

Ultimately, this was the right choice. Stockholm/Are/Latvia was not in favor of the people and opened up a marketing nightmare we all know the IOC did not want to have to deal with if they didn't have to. Milan/Cortina's "two cluster" approach is very similar to those of Vancouver, Sochi and Pyeongchang, which I personally think is an good way to utilize existing infrastructure from an urban area, develop a smaller winter resort town nearby, and hope a tourism business sticks. Also, the support in Italy is immense, and the proximity to nearby countries ensures full venues for events like speed skating (the dutch), curling (the swedes), downhill skiing (Germans, Austrians, French, and the Italians themselves), and Ice Hockey (Germans, Swedes, Finns, and even the Italians since it's growing so much). Really a win to get back to the Alps and as long as all goes well, we should see cities like Calgary, Sapporo, and even Salt Lake coming back eager to host - which would make the IOC elated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 8:16 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

Great choice. Hopefully the increased train service to Cortina become a regular thing so Italy can capitalize on the skiing business during the season for years to come. That makes it very easy for tourists to fly into MXP, a major airport, and then take the train right to Cortina. Ensures longevity with tourism.

 

Ultimately, this was the right choice. Stockholm/Are/Latvia was not in favor of the people and opened up a marketing nightmare we all know the IOC did not want to have to deal with if they didn't have to. Milan/Cortina's "two cluster" approach is very similar to those of Vancouver, Sochi and Pyeongchang, which I personally think is an good way to utilize existing infrastructure from an urban area, develop a smaller winter resort town nearby, and hope a tourism business sticks. Also, the support in Italy is immense, and the proximity to nearby countries ensures full venues for events like speed skating (the dutch), curling (the swedes), downhill skiing (Germans, Austrians, French, and the Italians themselves), and Ice Hockey (Germans, Swedes, Finns, and even the Italians since it's growing so much). Really a win to get back to the Alps and as long as all goes well, we should see cities like Calgary, Sapporo, and even Salt Lake coming back eager to host - which would make the IOC elated.

I'm not convinced Milan-Cortina is the bid that saves the WOGs and gets some traditional winter sports powers back into bidding. For starters, this bid was originally supposed to include Torino because many of the sports venues either need extensive renovations (Cortina sliding track) or have to be built from scratch (ice hockey arenas, speed skating oval). Torino had the venues for ice hockey and speed skating already and they'd only need minor renovations. Unfortunately, the respective city governments couldn't agree so now Milan is going to foot the bill and the price could easily get of hand. In fact, I predict that once cost figures start coming out, you will see a movement to get Torino on board. I find the public support in Milan to be a bit of a head scratcher and that we've only seen one poll that gave any numbers. 

In terms of seeing whether or not the IOC's reforms could truly work, IMO Stockholm had the better bid, but as has been mentioned, the public support simply was not there and the IOC probably didn't want a nightmare scenario where the games were given back because of an upswell of people against hosting. I wouldn't call Milan-Cortina a great choice, rather it was the best of a bad lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 6:16 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

Great choice. Hopefully the increased train service to Cortina become a regular thing so Italy can capitalize on the skiing business during the season for years to come. That makes it very easy for tourists to fly into MXP, a major airport, and then take the train right to Cortina. Ensures longevity with tourism.

Nobody will ever fly to Malpensa for going skiing in Cortina. That’s madness to assume people would do this.

I haven’t studied exact plans for this “increased train service” to Cortina, but certainly the topography there doesn’t really lend itself to high speed connections unless at absolutely extreme financial and environmental costs. Even getting there by road was quite a stretch (from Verona/Venice), as far as I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Nobody will ever fly to Malpensa for going skiing in Cortina. That’s madness to assume people would do this.

I have done this, LOL.

 

It's not unheard of to fly into the major regional international airport for the region and then take a train or rent a car and drive to the slopes. Cortina is about 4 hours by car from Malpensa, just as Vail is about 2 hours from Denver Intl Airport, and Whistler is 3 hours from YVR. Granted, there are closer, smaller airports, but it's not unheard of to take the direct flight to the major airport and drive.

 

More so of what I was going for was that international ski tourism should increase for Italy. From an American perspective, France, Switzerland and Austria are the usual go-tos for Euro skiing, as they're the most well-connected by air routes and popular with the Brits, so we can speak English. Not that the Olympics have been known to turn every host city into a lasting premier destination, but maybe now Italian skiing will cross the mind of more international tourists. You're right, Cortina may be hard to get to, but maybe that will land more tourists at other Italian ski towns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 3:07 PM, stryker said:

I'm not convinced Milan-Cortina is the bid that saves the WOGs and gets some traditional winter sports powers back into bidding. For starters, this bid was originally supposed to include Torino because many of the sports venues either need extensive renovations (Cortina sliding track) or have to be built from scratch (ice hockey arenas, speed skating oval). Torino had the venues for ice hockey and speed skating already and they'd only need minor renovations. Unfortunately, the respective city governments couldn't agree so now Milan is going to foot the bill and the price could easily get of hand. In fact, I predict that once cost figures start coming out, you will see a movement to get Torino on board. I find the public support in Milan to be a bit of a head scratcher and that we've only seen one poll that gave any numbers. 

In terms of seeing whether or not the IOC's reforms could truly work, IMO Stockholm had the better bid, but as has been mentioned, the public support simply was not there and the IOC probably didn't want a nightmare scenario where the games were given back because of an upswell of people against hosting. I wouldn't call Milan-Cortina a great choice, rather it was the best of a bad lot.

This is true, but I'm not too sure the building of these arenas in Milan is necessarily a bad thing. Milan has 3.6 million people, so there is a population there to uphold the venues. Italy won 3 golds at Pyeongchang after 0 in Sochi, and support for their ice hockey team has grown out of IIHF Worlds. While it may not be directly what the IOC wants in terms of arena recycling, it's not like Milan (and its metro area in North Italy, where the country's money is) will leave these venues empty. Vancouver was able to upkeep their venues and it's a much smaller city. Granted, Canada has a larger emphasis on the winter sports, but Italy also has other strong sports like Volleyball that could keep these small arenas functioning. 

 

However, I would also be okay with the incorporation of Turin. The IOC's goal should not be glitz, glamour, and new arenas. It should be getting host cities back and redefining what it means to host a sustainable Olympics. We will see what route Milan goes with this, but you are right in that including Turin would've been the responsible choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 12:16 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

Great choice. Hopefully the increased train service to Cortina become a regular thing so Italy can capitalize on the skiing business during the season for years to come. That makes it very easy for tourists to fly into MXP, a major airport, and then take the train right to Cortina. Ensures longevity with tourism.

 

Ultimately, this was the right choice. Stockholm/Are/Latvia was not in favor of the people and opened up a marketing nightmare we all know the IOC did not want to have to deal with if they didn't have to. Milan/Cortina's "two cluster" approach is very similar to those of Vancouver, Sochi and Pyeongchang, which I personally think is an good way to utilize existing infrastructure from an urban area, develop a smaller winter resort town nearby, and hope a tourism business sticks. Also, the support in Italy is immense, and the proximity to nearby countries ensures full venues for events like speed skating (the dutch), curling (the swedes), downhill skiing (Germans, Austrians, French, and the Italians themselves), and Ice Hockey (Germans, Swedes, Finns, and even the Italians since it's growing so much). Really a win to get back to the Alps and as long as all goes well, we should see cities like Calgary, Sapporo, and even Salt Lake coming back eager to host - which would make the IOC elated.

What stryker said.  What exactly about Milan/Cortina getting the 2026 Olympics is going to change anything for other prospective candidates?  Especially considering they won't actually be hosting for another 6 1/2 years.  Plus, look at the cities you listed.  Salt Lake is already as eager as could be.  They would have bid for 2026 if they could have and they'll 100% go for 2030 if the USOC gives them the green light (easier said than done due to LA 2028).  Sapporo will likely get in line right behind them.  Calgary?  Their 2026 bid effort was an absolute disaster.  I don't think we'll see them again for awhile.  Why would Milan/Cortina change anything for them?

You mentioned a key point.. Italy has support.  That may or may not translate over to other cities and countries.  This is not LA in 1984 where several previous hosts were plagued by political and financial issues.  The problem these days isn't with the hosts, it's with the IOC.  Italy is taking a leap of faith.  Sweden was going to although it may have been a somewhat half-hearted effort.  The IOC is in a good position that potentially Salt Lake and Sapporo are there for the next 2 cycles which give them 2 potentially low risk hosts.  Who else out there is willing to take that chance is the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key success of the next Olympics will be related of how successful are the new host cities. At least in this time, both Olympics may count safe countries and cities which can develop proper projects without ending in white elephants and still they keep a respectable level of support. I think, for now, we may see returning hosts (especially on winter Olympics). Salt Lake City and Sapporo are ready, and then I can see next a French expansive Alpine host with Lyon as the main center (As becoming in the second most populous French metropolitan city. In an idea of Milan-Rome)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×