The Milan Cortina Italy thread

Not even a picture yet? Sigh...remember when a logo launch was a big deal?

I loghi delle olimpiadi e delle paralimpiadi tratti dal profilo Fb di MilanoCortina © Ansa

Olympic logo is still dull, but that Paralympic logo really transforms it - you can see it, it's not just grey - and the colours are subtly Italian, shades of red & green. Still nothing really Milanese, but then with being combined with a town almost being eaten by Slovenia it wouldn't be easy to cover both. And the font is still ugly as hell. But the Para one there is the best version yet.

6 hours ago, yoshi said:

Not even a picture yet? Sigh...remember when a logo launch was a big deal?

I loghi delle olimpiadi e delle paralimpiadi tratti dal profilo Fb di MilanoCortina © Ansa

Olympic logo is still dull, but that Paralympic logo really transforms it - you can see it, it's not just grey - and the colours are subtly Italian, shades of red & green. Still nothing really Milanese, but then with being combined with a town almost being eaten by Slovenia it wouldn't be easy to cover both. And the font is still ugly as hell. But the Para one there is the best version yet.

Whats the point when Minimalism is forced everywhere as much as possible, be it in sport logos or rebrands of companies which I can make in 2 minutes in Photoshop for free but they decide to pay millions for them.

Could it be better? Certainly. Still better than London or Sochi. Based on the results, it looks as if I didn't need to stuff the ballot box to keep that other option from winning. Though more colorful, something just looked off about it, Then I actually read what it was supposed to be and I found out it was a video game joystick which would allow all of us to play and that just came off as tacky.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, yoshi said:

So apparently the Paralympic logo is based off the northern lights over Cortina...not disputing that it looks better, as I said earlier, but do they really get that far south or is it artistic license?

'Artistic license."  Not even the French Alp cities have made that claim.  Fake iItalian claims.  

So they are not going to colorize the Olympic one? One of the things that msde the London interesting was that you could adapt it into many things. Multiple colors and the British flag were the fun things.

• 4 months later...

Milan-Cortina 2026 loses one major partner.  Alitalia announces its imminent closure.  

'A piece of flying Italy around the world': The rise and fall of Alitalia | CNN Travel 

Who will be its new airline partner?  I guess, even the Pope will now have to stay home -- not unless the Vatican opens its own airline?  Maybe a Vatican-San Marino airline (since partnerships are such in vogue) -- but using 3rd country airports?  Italy's??  :wacko:

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Milan-Cortina 2026 loses one major partner.  Alitalia announces its imminent closure.  

'A piece of flying Italy around the world': The rise and fall of Alitalia | CNN Travel 

Who will be its new airline partner?  I guess, even the Pope will now have to stay home -- not unless the Vatican opens its own airline?  Maybe a Vatican-San Marino airline (since partnerships are such in vogue) -- but using 3rd country airports?  Italy's??  :wacko:

I remember Etihad invested and subsequently lost quite a bit of cash when they bought a controlling stake in Alitalia years ago. That cash probably staved off an earlier collapse. I thought Air Italy, a subsidiary of Qatar Airways might be the successor as Italy's national airline by Qatar cut bait when the pandemic hit. Not sure where things go from here regarding Italian aviation TBH

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

1 hour ago, stryker said:

I remember Etihad invested and subsequently lost quite a bit of cash when they bought a controlling stake in Alitalia years ago. That cash probably staved off an earlier collapse. I thought Air Italy, a subsidiary of Qatar Airways might be the successor as Italy's national airline by Qatar cut bait when the pandemic hit. Not sure where things go from here regarding Italian aviation TBH

Alitalia has been a hot financial mess for decades. The Italian government has already announced their replacement airline ITA (Italia Trasporto Aereo), directly operated by the Ministry of Economy and Finance. ITA has also begun applying for a few international routes that Alitalia used to fly, so I'd expect them to be a pretty equivalent successor + airline partner since the government has an interest in holding a successful Olympics

• 1 month later...