The Milan Cortina Italy thread

Since there's only two left, I figure by transitive law we should have one, especially since other opponent is Sweden and has an even less of a hope and a prayer.

So looking at this, trying to be optimistic, since they are probably the favorites now.  What are the strengths of this bid?  I actually think refurbing the cortina stuff is going to be beneficial to them down the road (not like the IOC can say no to it anyways).  Doing it purely local government is pretty audacious, but it sounds like it actually could be done.  They are unquestionably the last resort before the SLC phone-a-friend-plan-B.  It seems like a less than wise way to spend money when Italy is facing such crippling debt, but they might like the prestige of it given its theirs if they want it.  

12 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

Doing it purely local government is pretty audacious, but it sounds like it actually could be done.  

Looks like the Italian government will provide some assistance afterall:

Government offers to help Milan-Cortina bid for 2026 Games

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newsobserver.com/sports/article221697570.html

12 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

They are unquestionably the last resort before the SLC phone-a-friend-plan-B.  

I still say that Salt Lake will be getting a phone call regardless, for “a future Games”.

37 minutes ago, FYI said:

Looks like the Italian government will provide some assistance afterall:

Government offers to help Milan-Cortina bid for 2026 Games

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newsobserver.com/sports/article221697570.html

I still say that Salt Lake will be getting a phone call regardless, for “a future Games”.

The USOC has already given their letter of intent for 2030.  So the IOC knows they are out there.  But yea, once the USOC has selected a candidate (which we all assume will be Salt Lake.. well, "all" except for those in La-La-Land), the IOC will likely be making that phone

.....well Denver is much bigger and richer than SLC...it would be way more fun to throw a big fat curve ball and put Denver forward and watch what happens. Oh and they definitely should build a sliding track and ski-jump.

why rinse and repeat the past glory of SLC just for the sake of the IOCs failed agenda....mile high makes rice-eccles looks so cute. ....let's have a monster winter games in DENVER!

Dronegenuity-Denver-Broncos-74.jpg

Edited by paul

Denver is pretty much the US's Calgary, that ones not gonna fly.

One of the big reasons is the city is already at infrastructure critical mass.  I love colorado, but my goal is to gtfo of Denver as quick as scientifically possible and into the mountains.  It truly is a nightmare waiting in traffic in that city.  An olympics would already make a diabolical traffic situation exponentially worse.  If that makes its way to voters, and sure as hell will, itll be lucky to get a 30 percent yes vote.  

But this is the Italy thread....???  Dedicated to why italy is awesome as a bid and/or sucks as a bid.  Its a slim shot, but the Italian bid might have a shot.

Even if that was possible, just forget about Denver. Any bid that mentions “public vote” these days is DOA. The demise of Boston 2024 & Calgary 2026, on this side of the Atlantic, doesn’t help Denver, either.

I’m sure that also would bring back nightmares to the IOC the last time Coloradans voted about the Winter Olympics. Not to mention that these votes in general make the IOC quiver to the core, regardless of what positive/nonchalant spin they say in public. 

12 hours ago, Dezcrafty said:

I wish a country could have two separate bids at the same time. Then we’d really see both Salt Lake and Denver in “action.”

That wouldn't work so well because it would put the USOC in a position of having to support both bids and it would probably be hard for them not to pick a favorite.  Better for them to make the decision first about which is the better bid and then throw all of their support behind that one.

Glad to see a Milan-Cortina thread was started so it could be full of important discussion on Denver vs Salt Lake :lol::P

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Any bid that mentions “public vote” these days is DOA.

......having a public vote should be required of all bids...the IOC is totally insincere by ignoring that in any reform agenda they developed.

2 hours ago, FYI said:

I’m sure that also would bring back nightmares to the IOC the last time Coloradans voted about the Winter Olympics. Not to mention that these votes in general make the IOC quiver to the core, regardless of what positive/nonchalant spin they say in public. 

...that's the fun part about DENVER.......first they tell the IOC to shove it after they won the 76 games.....then they bid with a monster games against agenda 2020.....it's just perfect.

11 minutes ago, paul said:

......having a public vote should be required of all bids...the IOC is totally insincere by ignoring that in any reform agenda they developed.

That's a choice of the cities and their bid leaders to decide on, not the IOC.  In certain cities, it's necessary.  But that's still their decision.  Not something that needs to be mandated.  Don't know exactly what a regulation like that would accomplish.

52 minutes ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

is there any indicators on the horizon someone in Italy might pull one of these nifty referendums too?  Havent really heard much from folks on the ground in Milan or anything on their thoughts of it.

If we took a shot each time a potential 2026 host city said "referendum", we would be drunk until 2026.