GBModerator

56.4% Of Voters Reject Calgary 2026 Olympic Bid, City Council Expected To Cancel Project

More than 56 percent of voters across Calgary voted against a proposed 2026 Olympic Winter Games bid Tuesday, a result that will likely spell the end of the city’s pursuit to host its second edition of the Olympics, and first Paralympic Games. The plebiscite is non-binding, but the federal and provincial offers to fund the […]

The post 56.4% Of Voters Reject Calgary 2026 Olympic Bid, City Council Expected To Cancel Project appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Bach “won’t be too concerned, though. They still have two other excellent candidates” (left)! :wacko:

In the meantime, the rest of the members are like: 

tenor.gif?itemid=10820941

• Haha 2

The Swedish government could be formed in a few hours but looks like it's not looking good and Sweden might have to go to the polls again next year so Sweden might not have a government yet for half of the year, I can see Italy pulling out sometime next month.

The IOC better get on the phone with the President of Kazakhstan and the Mayor of Almaty to get them to host the 2026 Winter Games.  

6 minutes ago, Olympianfan said:

The Swedish government could be formed in a few hours but looks like it's not looking good and Sweden might have to go to the polls again next year so Sweden might not have a government yet for half of the year, I can see Italy pulling out sometime next month.

The IOC better get on the phone with the President of Kazakhstan and the Mayor of Almaty to get them to host the 2026 Winter Games.  

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

ALMATY. IS. NOT. HAPPENING.  They are not ready and have shown no interest in bidding for 2026.  The IOC will not just award them to a previous bidder.  If this was teh case then Salzburg, Annecy, Munich, Sofia, Jaca, Andorra, Berne, Quebec City, Ostersund, Falun, Oslo etc etc etc have just as much chance.

Just now, thatsnotmypuppy said:

ALMATY. IS. NOT. HAPPENING.  They are not ready and have shown no interest in bidding for 2026.  The IOC will not just award them to a previous bidder.  If this was teh case then Salzburg, Annecy, Munich, Sofia, Jaca, Andorra, Berne, Quebec City, Ostersund, Falun, Oslo etc etc etc have just as much chance.

Don‘t give him ideas.

• Haha 1

Good.

The only way the IOC will finally be willing to make changes will be when no city is left. As long as they have one left, even if its your typical eastern world tyranical country, they won't give a damn about it. But it seems not even they want to host this farce anymore.

Maybe this whole disaster will finally make more than one inside the IOC wake up and smell the coffee, thus taking serious actions. At least, I want to hope that will happen.

Like what actions? What can they do if the IOC/Olympic label is so toxic that even Calgary, one of the most successful host cities, doesn’t want to know anymore? The summer games aren’t in as bad a situation now, with it set up to 2028, but I’m sad to say that I can see the Winter Olympics being axed after 2022 if Milan doesn’t come through. The concept is still sound (countries are still bidding  for the Winter Universiades - even from Switzerland) so maybe the winter sports federations will come together (like how the European Games were born) to create a replacement on a better scale - along the lines of the Universiade. If that happens, it might just be the best solution for all. 

17 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Like what actions? What can they do if the IOC/Olympic label is so toxic that even Calgary, one of the most successful host cities, doesn’t want to know anymore? The summer games aren’t in as bad a situation now, with it set up to 2028, but I’m sad to say that I can see the Winter Olympics being axed after 2022 if Milan doesn’t come through. The concept is still sound (countries are still bidding  for the Winter Universiades - even from Switzerland) so maybe the winter sports federations will come together (like how the European Games were born) to create a replacement on a better scale - along the lines of the Universiade. If that happens, it might just be the best solution for all. 

The Winter Games will not be axed they will just re open the bid if Italy and Sweden pulls out to allow Kazakhstan to put in a bid for 2026 then we can have the US host 2030 and Sapporo Japan 2034.

I have been saying all along,  add BALLROOM DANCING (either to WOG or SOG, or BOTH), THAT WILL SAVE the OLYMPICS!

It's worked for DANCING WITH THE STARS!!    B)

The USOC & IOC have probably already started dancing together, all the way to 2026. That phone call from Lausaunne to Colorado Springs, if it hasn’t come yet, will be ringing soon. 

7 hours ago, yoshi said:

There is zero chance of that happening.  One way or another, there will be a Winter Olympics in 2026, even if they have to return to Beijing or come up with some sort of unprecedented measure.  If the IOC were to let the Winter Olympics die, they lose most of their purpose in life.  To say nothing of TV rights they have already sold into the 2030s.  I doubt sport federations would necessarily be able to come together under a new umbrella.  Although I'll certainly grant you that they have to be getting close to their breaking point with what's going on with the IOC these days and their inability to get their act together.

2 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I really hate to do this, but now my trust in order to organize a mass event is going to the Italians ..... read that again..... the italians.....

We have a rocky 7 months ahead of us before this vote. 

assuming the private funding and local funding is there, this might be a shoe in

6 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I really hate to do this, but now my trust in order to organize a mass event is going to the Italians ..... read that again..... the italians.....

Better than Erzurum!