baron-pierreIV

Would a 10-day WOGs seem "cheaper" than a 17-day extravaganza?

It might be a matter of optics, but if the IOC said that the WOGs would only run 10 days (say, from a Friday to the following Sunday), might it seem cheaper and therefore attract more serious bidders?  I mean the Summer Games are humongous -- stretched out over 17 days (altho, technically, they are so big, they even start 2 days before Opening Ceremony).  

Now, since the WOG slate is also smaller, what if they really cram it into 10 days -- just to remind everyone that the WOGs are smaller logistically, and therefore, should be CHEAPER to stage than the Summer one, might this help the IOC -- even if it were really only optics??  (And the Paralympics should likewise be shrunk accordingly.  Even the Summer Paralympics should also be shrunk; they are merely riding on the IOC's coattails, so they shouldn't be adding more events.)  

(I know that certain days in the 17-day sked allows for back-up days should many of the outdoor events be cancelled due to weather conditions, but that is something organizers will jsut have to adjust to accordingly.  I think the striking contrast between a 17-day festival vs. a 10-day one (without sacrificing any events currently), should impress people as a cheaper show than ANOTHER 17-day extravaganza as well.  

Still wouldn’t change the cost of any needed venue construction &/or refurbishment, or infrastructure upgrades/improvements, though. 

giphy.gif

They can't cram it into 10 days.  Certainly not without sacrificing events.  That would create more problem than it solves.  The issue is what to do with a sliding track or a speed skating oval after the Olympics.  Only so much that can be done with those types of venues where they'll have much of any value.

• Like 1