GBModerator

BidWeek: Could IOC’s Agenda 2020 Be Forcing The Collapse Of Calgary’s 2026 Olympic Bid

BidWeek, Reporting From Toronto, Canada – Once again, confusion and misinformation have brought Calgary’s 2026 Winter Olympic bid to the edge of a cliff, but this time less people are reaching out their arms to pull it to safety and more are just turning away and hoping it jumps. The issue this time?  A technicality. […]

The post BidWeek: Could IOC’s Agenda 2020 Be Forcing The Collapse Of Calgary’s 2026 Olympic Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

How was "legacy"" ever going to be an effective narrative when Calgary can't even afford to maintain their existing ski jump already built in their backyard....which resulted in Van-cougar having to co-host for them?

I LOVE Calgary but if you can't afford to host just don't bid this time.....come back later if the pipeline deals get resolved and when the economic and political environment is better equipped.

2 hours ago, paul said:

How was "legacy"" ever going to be an effective narrative when Calgary can't even afford to maintain their existing ski jump already built in their backyard....which resulted in Van-cougar having to co-host for them?

I LOVE Calgary but if you can't afford to host just don't bid this time.....come back later if the pipeline deals get resolved and when the economic and political environment is better equipped.

Calgary's ski jump fell below international competitive standards since they were changed after '88, and could no longer be used for events.  It was too costly to support the venues in the absence of regular events, and it would cost over $100 million to upgrade for 2026.  The Whistler plan is said to cost $10 million.  There is not a need for two ski jumps in Western Canada so the decision was easy.

3 hours ago, paul said:

I agree. I know if I were a Calgary taxpayer I wouldn’t be happy about paying at least $2,000 per household, And that’s without the potential of any cost overruns. 

As has been mentioned before, the Olympics are a luxury that not every municipality in the world can afford to go after. And I don’t blame the people who are skeptical of the proponets who claim that the Olympics are the answer to all of their problems. Cuz quite frankly, I think the average citizen never really gets that much improvement in their personal life bcuz of the Olympics, even in good times.

We've said it here many times before.. Agenda 2020 has always been about getting cities to bid, not necessarily to set them up to be successful in the event they have the winning bid.  Some cities just can't make it work and this bid has always felt a little forced and came about mostly because Canada's hopes for landing another Summer Olympics seem to have been put on the backburner for awhile since Toronto doesn't seem that interested and we're still less than a decade out from Vancouver.

Not just Calgary, but all cities now need to justify why the Olympics make sense for them.  This bid is having trouble with that.  The `88 Olympics left a tangible legacy that continues to be reflected in Canada's medal totals at the Winter Olympics.  Not sure what they're hoping to accomplish here.  And if they can't sell that bill of goods, then maybe they shouldn't bid, even with the IOC as desperate as they are (or at least they should realize they are)

It’s a shame about Toronto because I think if they wanted 2032, they’d have a strong chance. I know it’s North America twice running but the precedent was set with Asia & the IOC would surely jump at the chance to have a supported bid from somewhere like Canada. Next Canadian winter games will surely be Vancouver 2.0, it doesn’t seem to fit Calgary. 

Should've turned these into the first true "Green Games" and let cannabis  and cannabis tourism pay for it.:P

25 minutes ago, yoshi said:

It’s a shame about Toronto because I think if they wanted 2032, they’d have a strong chance. I know it’s North America twice running but the precedent was set with Asia & the IOC would surely jump at the chance to have a supported bid from somewhere like Canada. Next Canadian winter games will surely be Vancouver 2.0, it doesn’t seem to fit Calgary. 

The only precedent that was set there is that the IOC had no choice but to return to Asia for a 2nd consecutive Winter Olympics.  I doubt they'd do that - let alone with a Summer Olympics - if they have a choice.

Toronto needed to get in front of a potential U.S. bid in order to have more favorable conditions to win a bid.  That didn't happen.  I don't see how you can talk about a Vancouver 2.0 (yes, in case another poster is wondering, I :rolleyes:'d at that one) and talk about Canada supporting a bid given the mess they have now with Calgary.  The Olympics don't fit Toronto.  They don't fit Calgary.  That's the problem.. they're just not a good fit right now.

31 minutes ago, yoshi said:

2032 is definitely not happening, I think Toronto is focused on the 2030 Commonwealth Games. 

With Ontario having the largest debt of a sub-national entity in the western world, a bid for the Olympics is at least decades out. 

13 hours ago, yoshi said:

Toronto had their best shot in 2008 unfortunately there was no chance in Beijing being denied that year. Unfortunately now, I thought Toronto would take a shot at 2024 fresh off the success of the Pan Ams, but I think in the end, they simply determined a SOG is just too big and too expensive right now. If Toronto could put forth their plan largely along the lines of the Pan Ams, it could work, but that still leaves them without a plan for a stadium. Toronto's not getting an Olympic-sized stadium unless the NFL moves there.

59 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Oh, and then there is this aloofness to acknowledge their contributions to this mess, and instead say the shrinking pool is due to Climate Change. It glosses over the fact that Summer Bids are also struggling to attract interested cities. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php/articles/1071654/bach-admits-difficulties-in-securing-winter-olympic-hosts-and-suggests-climate-change-has-reduced-candidates

Bach is a huge problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1