Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

Brisbane transport infrastructure improvements    This post is related to transport infrastructure improvements that will greatly contribute to the smooth operations and comfort of users during the 2032 Brisbane and Paralympic Games.

Final Brisbane Metro vehicle design revealed ahead of 2022 pilot launch - 9 Sep21- Brisbane Times

h7hJDTB.jpg

Brisbane Metro Fly-Through Jan-21 - click to view

The Brisbane Metro will provide high frequency rapid transit transport along 21 kilometres of existing busway between the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital and Eight Mile Plains. The project will include 18 stations, of which 11 will be interchange stations, and two of which will link to Cross River Rail stations.

The Metro will use 60 trackless rubber-tyred metro vehicles, each with a capacity of 150 passengers, along two routes:

• Metro 1: Eight Mile Plains busway station to Roma Street busway station, and
  • Metro 2: RBWH busway station to UQ Lakes busway station.

8 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Looks like a bus to me.

7 hours ago, yoshi said:

Very clearly a bus - I remember when they introduced similar, but shorter, things in York...let's just say I hope the routes they'll run in Brisbane don't have too many corners :ph34r:

Thought I’d pop in the overall picture of public transport Queensland, which has Translink and includes buses, trains, ferries and trams across South East Queensland as follows:

• the Brisbane Metro are high frequency buses and the coming long articulated high frequency vehicles (which resemble trams) running on busways, and
  • the Queensland Rail network which is an integrated passenger and rail access service that extends from the centre of Brisbane, south to Beenleigh and Varsity Lakes on the Gold Coast, north to Ferny Grove, Shorncliffe, Doomben, Caboolture, Gympie and Kippa-Ring, east to Cleveland and west to Richlands, Ipswich and Rosewood, and Springfield.
  • CityCat, SpeedyCat and monohull Ferry Services a network of 23 terminals stretching from The University of Queensland at St Lucia to Northshore Hamilton,
  • GLink Gold CoastLight Rail.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:01 PM, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane transport infrastructure improvements    This post is related to transport infrastructure improvements that will greatly contribute to the smooth operations and comfort of users during the 2032 Brisbane and Paralympic Games.

Final Brisbane Metro vehicle design revealed ahead of 2022 pilot launch - 9 Sep21- Brisbane Times

h7hJDTB.jpg

How boring, olympics biddings/organizing had became that we are literally posting now bus degins on this forums, as if watching how brisbane transport look was interesting to anyone

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

If the feds refuse to fund the Gabba where will the main stadium be then? The feds look like they will screw up these games...

The worst thing is that in any scenario which is not the gabba getting redeveloped (although I believe the design is the same as london stadium redevelopment), we are going to end up with carrara and its fabulous 35,000 seats (for the main venue)

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

If the feds refuse to fund the Gabba where will the main stadium be then? The feds look like they will screw up these games...

1 minute ago, Chris_Mex said:

The worst thing is that in any scenario which is not the gabba getting redeveloped (although I believe the design is the same as london stadium redevelopment), we are going to end up with carrara and its fabulous 35,000 seats (for the main venue)

I’m sure The Gabba will remain the main stadium and this funding speedbump will be worked out - it’s the old Labor vs Liberal ego huffing and puffing about who is funding what and it will be resolved.

But I can’t see any way that The Gabba won’t get refurbished and will remain the Olympic Stadium with a new train station right there which Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast does not have.

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

How boring, olympics biddings/organizing had became that we are literally posting now bus degins on this forums, as if watching how brisbane transport look was interesting to anyone

Life in lockdown ….  keeping ourselves (me) occupied ……if people want, I’m happy to start a separate thread on infrastructure developments and updates which will contribute to a successful 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games … (?)

"Where the deal was almost lost was where the state government made a very poor judgment call and announced a $1 billion upgrade to the Gabba in Brisbane," he said. 

"It wasn't so much the breach of trust — it was annoying that they did just go out and make an announcement because we were trying to do things on a unity ticket, that was annoying — but that in itself wasn't enough to kill the deal.

"The problem was we were selling a proposition to the International Olympics Committee (IOC) about the 'new norms' … no big, new, flashy, glossy investments. We're going to leverage our existing facilities. And then, out of nowhere, front page."

On 4/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, AustralianFan said:

The Australian and Queensland Governments are both members of the Bid’s Candidature Leadership Group with the Australian Prime Minister very prominent.  

However, the purse strings are not held only by the Australian Government, but are held equally between the Queensland and Australian Governments - hence this 50/50 funding split.

With the final vote to award the Games looming this July, there’s no sign of both Governments not cooperating, continuing as a united Candidature Leadership Group and supporting the PM’s proposed Olympic infrastructure delivery authority, which will include the new Gabba Olympic Stadium.

There was every sign of arguments behind the scenes and that those arguments were getting problematic for the bid, which is what I pointed out at the time. I also pointed out that the Gabba announcement seemed very sudden.

Interesting we've now got an article confirming this, despite your insistence at the time that all was well.

Edited by Rob.

34 minutes ago, Rob. said:

"Where the deal was almost lost was where the state government made a very poor judgment call and announced a $1 billion upgrade to the Gabba in Brisbane," he said. 

"It wasn't so much the breach of trust — it was annoying that they did just go out and make an announcement because we were trying to do things on a unity ticket, that was annoying — but that in itself wasn't enough to kill the deal.

"The problem was we were selling a proposition to the International Olympics Committee (IOC) about the 'new norms' … no big, new, flashy, glossy investments. We're going to leverage our existing facilities. And then, out of nowhere, front page."

There was every sign of arguments behind the scenes and that those arguments were getting problematic for the bid, which is what I pointed out at the time. I also pointed out that the Gabba announcement seemed very sudden.

Interesting we've now got an article confirming this, despite your insistence at the time that all was well.

As at 29 April 2021, there was indeed there was no sign of both Governments not cooperating exactly as I posted.   It was all unity back then.

As at 11 September 2021, I get out of bed this morning to this developing story so I posted it.  I am just a poster on an Olympic blog called Gamesbids.com - I just post what I see reported.

But my gut feeling is that this speedbump funding-split issue will be resolved and The Gabba will remain as the Olympic Stadium.

Thanks for posting the new article

But in April the fallout surrounding the out-of-the-blue Gabba announcement by the state was clearly threatening the unity of the bid, a fact now confirmed by today's article where a government minister is speaking of what happened at the time.

That this has now developed into a funding row isn't surprising (again, I pointed this possibility out in April).

Funding arguments are hardly new territory for Olympic host cities. I hope they manage to resolve it.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

I’m sure The Gabba will remain the main stadium and this funding speedbump will be worked out - it’s the old Labor vs Liberal ego huffing and puffing about who is funding what and it will be resolved.

But I can’t see any way that The Gabba won’t get refurbished and will remain the Olympic Stadium with a new train station right there which Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast does not have.

I read the article on insidethegames.biz and the dust up seems to be more that the local officials in Brisbane prematurely made the announcement about rebuilding the Gabba. This wouldn't be the first time though someone spoke up about grandiose sports venue plans though since it happens quite frequently in the U.S. It'll take some negotiations but I expect with a common interest things will work themselves out.

I do think the initial figure of $736 million for the new Gabba might be a but on the low side. I would expect a new Gabba would have to include all the modern bells and whistles (luxury suites) so I do wonder if the project might be pushed closer to 1 billion USD which seems to be the going rate for new state of the art stadiums these days. Regardless it ticks all the boxes in terms of a lasting legacy for what is a difficult issue (athletics stadium) for many prospective bidders today.

• Like 1

State Government to renovate Clive Berghofer Stadium in Toowoomba for football at 2032 Olympic Games - 16 Sep21 - The Chronicle

“The State Government has confirmed it will turn a Toowoomba sporting venue into a 20,000-seat stadium for the Olympic Games. But local leaders are wanting more than just one event.”

“Toowoomba is set to host football matches as part of the 2032 Brisbane Olympic Games, but local leaders are wanting far more for the city than what the State Government has promised.”

“Clive Berghofer Stadium will be upgraded to a 20,000-seat ground to host the group round football stages as part of the Olympic Games feasibility assessment report.”

“This was backed up by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk’s office, with a spokeswoman saying Toowoomba should “expect” to hold some events.”

“While this was welcomed by Mayor Paul Antonio, he believed the stadium selections were not set in stone and that Toowoomba deserved a bigger slice of events.”

Lang moves into Queensland Government Architect role - 17Sep21 - Architecture & Design

“The Queensland Government has appointed its first female into the role of QLD Government Architect, with Leah Lang assuming the role.”

“Formerly holding the role of Gold Coast City Architect, Lang guided much of the infrastructure for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Lang will play a role in devising much of the river city’s projects in the lead up to the Brisbane Olympic Games in 2032.”

With Brisbane 2032, the Games return to the country that loves sport

TOKYO - The Brisbane Games guarantee one thing: if 2032 does not surprise the world with a new pandemic or similar catastrophe, the stands will be packed with people who understand and love sport. Few countries are as sporty and as athletic as Australia, that huge island that will host the Olympic Games for the third time in history.

Besides Melbourne 56, the memory of Sydney 2000 is the great parameter. Those days between September 15 and October 1 -the end of winter and the beginning of spring in the southern hemisphere- bring back the memory of Australian pop-rock delightfully bursting from the speakers in the huge, sunny, windy and often cool Olympic Park.

NIsTHqw.jpg

Click to read more - With Brisbane 2032, the Games return to the country that loves sport - Around The Rings

• Like 1

Sports capital of Australia: AOC confirms shift to Brisbane - 21Sep21 - The Courier Mail - subscription article

“Hot on the heels of the Australian Institute of Sport and others, the Australian Olympic Committee has confirmed it will make itself at home in the River City ahead of the 2032 Games.”