Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

6 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Quartz - July 22, 2021 - Brisbane 2032 is the first test of the Olympics’ new host-city bidding system

The choice of Brisbane as host city for the 2032 Olympics is symbolic in more ways than one.

it feels like since Rio, IOC has consistently veered towards what are considered “safe hands” allocations (all Olympics since 2018 are given to countries that have previously and successfully organised games South Korea, Japan, China, France, USA, Italy, Australia. It may be sometime before they attempt again a “new borders” allocation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Europe said:

it feels like since Rio, IOC has consistently veered towards what are considered “safe hands” allocations (all Olympics since 2018 are given to countries that have previously and successfully organised games South Korea, Japan, China, France, USA, Italy, Australia. It may be sometime before they attempt again a “new borders” allocation. 

Not that hard when apart from Istanbul in all these years no „risky“ candidate was on the ballot.

• Like 1

Click to read more:

• The push for the Brisbane Olympic Games began with a group of Queensland mayors
  • The population in the state's south-east was set to boom, but many of the train lines were built in the late 1800s
  • The bid coincided with a massive cultural change inside the IOC

Well there was Almaty as well and the late dropouts of preferable choices (e.g. Oslo) etc. Furthermore,  the 2028 as well as the 2032 Games allocations were strongly “curated” by IOC (This has nothing to do with the worthiness of the bids, I do believe they are good solid choices, however, over and above IOC wanted to safeguard the next few games in hands they consider safe. It remains to be proven if it is the case, although I believe it is). 

14 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

One prediction I’ll make now is the anthem will be sung - at the very least least in parts - in indigenous languages.

And Acknowledgement of Country as part of protocol (something that is now very common practice at all public events in post-2000 Australia). Hopefully the IOC step aside and make room for it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Go Europe said:

It is a real shame South Africa screwed up the hosting of the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Had it been progressing well I can easily envisage an alternative reality where Durban was just named host of the 2032 Olympics.

• Like 1

Ive seen the first signs of the games in brisbane this weekend on a digital billboard.

across the top 1/3d it says "and the winner is... Brisbane" and underneath it says 2032 Olympics and Paralympics host city

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, Sir Rols said:

Bit (far) too early to think of the mascot(s), but I doubt it will be Matilda. That said, i wouldn’t be surprised to see her make a cameo - more likely in the closing ceremony - like Mischa did at Moscow. On the other hand, do remember Matilda was a Commonwealth Games item, so maybe really not relevant to the Olympics.

One prediction I’ll make now is the anthem will be sung - at the very least least in parts - in indigenous languages.

Yeah I think the ceremonies will be largely focusing on indigenous Australia. Whether I agree with it (to be the majority focus) that might be a different story. I’d like to see songs such as Waltzing Matilda. I still call Australia home, I am Australian, and Love you Queensland but I doubt it unfortunately. 

20 hours ago, Go Europe said:

Nothing wrong with that! They will provide awesome spectacles and great Olympics. My tip is Brisbane 2032 to pass Sydney 2000 and become the best Olympics ever.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah I think the ceremonies will be largely focusing on indigenous Australia. Whether I agree with it (to be the majority focus) that might be a different story. I’d like to see songs such as Waltzing Matilda. I still call Australia home, I am Australian, and Love you Queensland but I doubt it unfortunately. 

I think a lot of that stereotypical hokey stuff was certainly well done at Sydney. In some ways I think the 2000 ceremony was more about pandering to stereotypes rather than what Australia is really about. I hope Brisbane demonstrates a bit more complexity - and perhaps puts Indigenous voices and stories in the centre and not as a prop of a white man's version of events to foreign audiences. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nothing wrong with that! They will provide awesome spectacles and great Olympics. My tip is Brisbane 2032 to pass Sydney 2000 and become the best Olympics ever.

It won't be - because that was Samaranch's thing. Glad it's no longer a thing because all it does is diminish the efforts of previous hosts. 

20 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I think a lot of that stereotypical hokey stuff was certainly well done at Sydney. In some ways I think the 2000 ceremony was more about pandering to stereotypes rather than what Australia is really about. I hope Brisbane demonstrates a bit more complexity - and perhaps puts Indigenous voices and stories in the centre and not as a prop of a white man's version of events to foreign audiences. 

Yeah but it can't completely deny and shut out what has happened in Australia since 1788. I hope there is a mix. Also expect to see a nod to multicultural Australia as that has helped shape our country too.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah but it can't completely deny and shut out what has happened in Australia since 1788. I hope there is a mix. Also expect to see a nod to multicultural Australia as that has helped shape our country too.

Absolutely - I don't think ignoring our past is a good way to go however I don't think we will see Captain Cook and the Union Jack being celebrated quite like it was at Sydney 2000. 

Captain Cook was hardly celebrated in Sydney’s OC - it was more a brief, humorous blink and you’ll miss it reference. Even in 2000 it would have been problematic to make too much of it, much less now when his statues need police protection come Australia Day.

The way Olympic ceremonies are evolving, the opening will be a more solemn affair mainly dedicated to all the set pieces - the rings. anthems, flag railings, parade of nations, speeches, cauldron etc. What cultural elements there will be - well Sydney did the national history and such, so I think it may be more universal. There’s inevitably gonna be some indigenous elements but otherwise I think there’s gonna be more peace, harmony, togetherness, bringing everyone together, look after the environment etc etc. It’ll be the closing we’ll get a bit more laid back, fun, mocking and Aussie stereotypical.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Businesses urge early insight into historic 4000-day Games project pipeline - Brisbane Times - July 22, 2021

Queensland’s peak business body is calling for improved tender processes and swift clarity on what projects are in the pipeline ahead of the 2032 Olympics in the south-east, to allow the much-touted potential benefits of the Games to be fully realised.

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This would be perfect for the ceremony IMO

The Flame was great, however Heroes live for ever was for me one of the highlights of the Sydney ceremony. Actually all the music on that opening ceremony was great. We need a nice Olympic Anthem again, last ones I can recall are Heroes and Amigos para siempre (Barcelona 1992)!

Gold Coast development: City’s skyline to dramatically change by 2032 - Gold Coast Bulletin - July 23, 2021  

“It is July 23, 2032 and southeast Queensland is about to host the opening ceremony of the 35th Olympiad.”

“Leading social researchers and demographers have painted a picture of the Gold Coast 11 years in the future as a “gleaming cosmopolitan city” that will have blossomed dramatically.”