Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

10 hours ago, Rob. said:

Maybe quietly push Coates into a background role now Brisbane have the Games. He's done his bit, the guy's clearly got an ego the size of Uluru and attitudes that better suit the decade of Australia's first Games.

Yes, I was stunned at how all that played out.  Whatever he was thinking, or if it was even planned at all (?) to try and “politcally rescue” the Premier, was still a train wreck as to how it played out in front of the world’s media.

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

I don't get why this was brought up? Surely this conversation could've been held behind close doors not a discussion whether they are attending and the reasons why Mr Coates wants the Premier to attend (btw I think she should attend) the Ceremony. It was a public press conference when you answer questions from the media not have a 'chat'!

Exactly.  I don’t know what on earth he was thinking belittling the Premier like that.  Very poor judgement at a time which should have been uplifting and celebratory.

13 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

One technical observation from these links. If I read the link correctly, it appeared to suggest the Gabba's (main stadium for anyone who isn't into cricket) capacity during the Games will be 50,000. That seems historically low for an Olympic Stadium. I know there's much greater emphasis (rightly) on utilising existing venues at the moment and I can well imagine the 2012 election would have been very different if similar priorities had been in place then. But, even allowing for that, it still seemed slightly conservative, particularly given the big stadium development in Perth recently, unless there's something I'm missing.

Just now, arwebb said:

One technical observation from these links. If I read the link correctly, it appeared to suggest the Gabba's (main stadium for anyone who isn't into cricket) capacity during the Games will be 50,000. That seems historically low for an Olympic Stadium. I know there's much greater emphasis (rightly) on utilising existing venues at the moment and I can well imagine the 2012 election would have been very different if similar priorities had been in place then. But, even allowing for that, it still seemed slightly conservative, particularly given the big stadium development in Perth recently, unless there's something I'm missing.

Low or not they are still planning on dropping a cool $1 billion AUD onto rebuilding the thing before 2032. Not exactly a No Frills model for other cities to follow. 

Its going to be interesting to see whether the budget-creep can be held at bay over the coming 11 years. 

After the mess Tokyo has become, I don't want to be cocky ever again. While Australia, a country with good organizing reputation was elected, lets pray this doesn't become a mess too and costs manage to get controlled. Are any of the venues from Gold Coast 2018 going to be used for these games?

I must admit although obviously it's good to reduce unnecessary spending and spending on stuff that won't get much future use, there's surely a case for spending a slightly bigger slice of budget on a stadium that you know (as Brisbane does) will get loads of use for years to come. I understand that they don't want a Sydney or Melbourne size stadium but surely SEQ can take a 60k at least AFL/cricket stadium? Possibly even 70? Going to 50 won't even change its position in the Ashes capacity order will it?

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

I must admit although obviously it's good to reduce unnecessary spending and spending on stuff that won't get much future use, there's surely a case for spending a slightly bigger slice of budget on a stadium that you know (as Brisbane does) will get loads of use for years to come. I understand that they don't want a Sydney or Melbourne size stadium but surely SEQ can take a 60k at least AFL/cricket stadium? Possibly even 70? Going to 50 won't even change its position in the Ashes capacity order will it?

They're limited by land availability.

Added because I can't edit - they're spending $1bn on the Gabba to only gain what, 10k capacity? Doesn't seem like great value for money :ph34r:. I don't know Brisbane's geography or prices in general but I'd be surprised if there's not somewhere in the region where you could spend a billion and get a brand new stadium at least as good and big as Perth's. Even if that means flattening and rebuilding Carrara and seeing if the IOC really mean what they say about regional Games. 

26 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I understand that they don't want a Sydney or Melbourne size stadium but surely SEQ can take a 60k at least AFL/cricket stadium? Possibly even 70? Going to 50 won't even change its position in the Ashes capacity order will it?

theres very few times a stadium of 60 or 70k will be filled outside the games. perhaps AFL finals (if the lions are performing) and when we play England and India in the cricket - on average not even once a year.

The geography of the Gabba is also a massive limiting factor  - theres major roads on 3 sides, with a heritage listed school on the other. 

25 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I don't know Brisbane's geography or prices in general but I'd be surprised if there's not somewhere in the region where you could spend a billion and get a brand new stadium at least as good and big as Perth's

there was talk of the albion railyards. I'm not keen on this for a few reasons

1 - the gabba is being connected by cross river rail and will have a dedicated train station opening in 2025. adding another station would need more infrastructure to access it, adding even more to the cost. the gabba is already well served with buses and will be (by the time of the games) served by the Brisbane metro

2 - The gabba needs a rebuild anyway -- we almost lost the first test multiple times thanks to the state of the stadium. people complain it's 1 billion for 8000 seats. it's not just adding 8000 seats. its better media facilities. its better corporate facilities. better facilities for people going to matches.

i get the idea of a new stadium but from a financial and legacy perspective it makes no sense to build one

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kcbworth said:

My mind immediately goes to:

Squash, Cricket, Netball, Lawn Bowls, Surfing.

And if love to see Surf Lifesaving included as a demonstration sport

Surfing’s already in from this games (Tokyo)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Added because I can't edit - they're spending $1bn on the Gabba to only gain what, 10k capacity? Doesn't seem like great value for money :ph34r:. I don't know Brisbane's geography or prices in general but I'd be surprised if there's not somewhere in the region where you could spend a billion and get a brand new stadium at least as good and big as Perth's. Even if that means flattening and rebuilding Carrara and seeing if the IOC really mean what they say about regional Games. 

An alternative to the Gabba is a new stadium at vacant land in Hamilton (toward the Airport).

Alternatively they knock down and rebuild QE2 Stadium - the site of the 1982 Commonwealth Games. 

I doubt they'd go with Carrara. That would be like having LA28's Ceremonies and Athletics in Orange County. 

27 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Alternatively they knock down and rebuild QE2 Stadium - the site of the 1982 Commonwealth Games. 

please no.

Its in a way worse location with absolutely terrible public transport - everyone would need 

Just now, Tejas57 said:

please no.

Its in a way worse location with absolutely terrible public transport - everyone would need 

oops. slipped and hit enter.

everyone would need bussing in to QEII as there is no way for a train line to be built. it is also on top of a hill and is windy and frankly shocking. 

The Gabba makes sense. it will be an 8 min train ride from the city, has extensive bus network links as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

An alternative to the Gabba is a new stadium at vacant land in Hamilton (toward the Airport).

I doubt they'd go with Carrara. That would be like having LA28's Ceremonies and Athletics in Orange County. 

Everyone was expecting a 50,000 seat stadium in Albion but as Tejas57, they have already opted for a rebuilt Gabba with 50,000 capacity with a train station right there in a central location.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:50 AM, AustralianFan said:

Actually, there are more Reports on Brisbane under this new system and more transparent than ever there has ever been with the old single bid book under the old system.

It took me some getting used to but glad to list them here for ya :) 

I suppose these reports/pieces of news raised more attention in the medias of Australia than everywhere else - until the announcement I wasn't aware that the awarding of the 2032 Summer Olympics were on the agenda of the iOC (especially before the 2030 Winter Olympics had been awarded).

Just for clarification I esteem Brisbane as a good choice - but the announcement came as surprise at this time...

• Like 1

Nine Wide World of Sports: CEO Matt Carroll rejects myth that Brisbane 2032 was a one-horse - - click here to read

July 24, 2021

"The system now is a candidature, it's not a bidding process. So countries, cities around the world put up their hand.

"For this particular edition of the Games, it was Qatar, Indonesia expressed interest. India was expressing interest, three states in Germany were expressing interest.”

On 7/23/2021 at 9:59 PM, AustralianFan said:

Let’s turn our minds to the most important aspect of Brisbane Olympics 2032: the mascot

Bit (far) too early to think of the mascot(s), but I doubt it will be Matilda. That said, i wouldn’t be surprised to see her make a cameo - more likely in the closing ceremony - like Mischa did at Moscow. On the other hand, do remember Matilda was a Commonwealth Games item, so maybe really not relevant to the Olympics.

One prediction I’ll make now is the anthem will be sung - at the very least least in parts - in indigenous languages.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1