Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

This is the IOC Voting device as used by IOC Members in 2019 at the election of the 2022 Winter Host and is expected to be used again in the Brisbane 2032 Vote.

This is a freely available youtube video for the public on youtube by the IOC of the 2026 (2h 30m into the video): 

Election of Host for Winter Olympic Games 2026.

This electronic form of voting apoears to have replaced the previous “Show of Hands” voting method used in 2017 to elect Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028.

3q2M92c.jpg

Queensland Premier To Still Attend Tokyo Vote

Barring a lockdown in the State of Queensland, it’s abundantly clear that the Premier Anastasia Palaszczuk will attend the IOC Session in Tokyo despite a petition which at last count was around 80,000 - very much a minority of a total state population of 5.185 million.

Too much is at stake with the Premier, the leader of the State of Queensland and the primary head of government responsible for delivering the Games is highly likely to be involved in presenting and then signing the Host Contract.

The Australian Government controls the borders and as the Australian Prime Minister is himself a member of the Brisbane 2032 Candidature Leadership Group, there is no way that they will give in to a minority petition such as this is. He is himself participating in the Presentation by video while his Sports Minister Richard Colbeck is attending in person and representing the Australian Government.

There is also nothing indicating a shift away in public opinion of the majority of Queenslanders supporting the Bid and all the sporting opportunities, growth, jobs, economic stimulus that comes with it for this thrifty new age Bid.

10 days to go
Brisbane’s date with destiny

Ash Barty to Light the Cauldron in 2032 ?

Last year she handed a premiership trophy to her beloved Richmond Tigers at the Gabba – will a greater honour await her there in 11 years’ time?

Imagine if Ash Barty played for another 11 years and finished her career at the Brisbane Olympics at age 36.

It’s a big stretch, but you never know. Serena and Roger are still chugging along at 39. 

Imagine if she played until sometime near the Olympics, won a couple more Grand Slams and lit the flame at the opening ceremony at the Gabba in the same place she presented the AFL Trophy to her beloved Richmond Tigers last year.

Now we’re talking serious possibility. 

This fun and provocative thought is gaining traction on social media and so it should because while Brisbane haven’t officially got the Games and they are 11 years away a city does not toss up popular global sports heroes very often.

As far as cauldron lighters go it’s a ridiculously small field with no specific qualifications except that you have to be truly special in some way. 

A hero that makes your Games look good just by being attached to them as opposed to the other way around.

Even if she never hits another tennis ball Barty is firmly in contention for the cauldron lighting role if Brisbane gets the Games as the athlete who represents the best virtues of the Games and sport itself.

Unassuming. Gifted. Modest, polite and devilishly hard to beat. A role model for Indigenous athletes. 

It is a rare and almost irresistible amalgam of qualities. And universally popular. Other candidates will emerge before the Games as potential cauldron lighters but they’d need to be good to pip Barty, especially when you think of the honours that may lay ahead of her.

The contrast between Barty and Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon spotlighted the contrast between sideshows and substance, fibre and flightiness.

While Kyrgios talks about himself being a part-timer player who burns brightly but briefly at Grand Slams, Barty is the polar contrast, the consummate professional who travels with a large team to address every possible nuance that will take her to the top of the world.

Barty’s success should be a spur to Kyrgios.

He can have all the social media likes in the world and the rich sponsorship dollars that come with being cutting edge but nothing beats true Grand Slam gravitas.

In the first week of Grand Slams quirky sideshows have their place but nothing shakes the publicity tree more than actually winning the thing. And he can win things when Federer, Nadal and Djokovic fade. 

It’s the heavy duty Saturdays and Sundays of week two when true reputations are forged. 

Barty is one year younger than 26-year-old Kyrgios but he still has the time to make his mark.

n 2014, when Kyrgios made the Wimbledon quarterfinals as a 19-year-old, Barty, with a singles rankings in the 200s, was a month away from taking a two-year break from the game.

Since then she has reassessed her life, stormed to the No. 1 ranking in the world, won two Grand Slams and will live happily ever after no matter what happens now. Kyrgios has never bettered that finish at a Grand Slam but he still has the time to do so.

Credit: The Courier Mail - by Robert Craddock - 12 July 2021

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Just over a week to go and we still don’t know if Brisbane are dong an event for next weeks announcement. Is there any update on this?! 

I'm following up with Brisbane City Council on this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tejas57 said:

I'm following up with Brisbane City Council on this

I think it’s to do with the current level of COVID Restrictions by the Queensland Government in Brisbane.

These restrictions are on track to be eased in the next few days and so that’s when the Brisbane City Council may, or may not, announce a “live site” or a celebration of some sort.

The deteriorating COVID situation in neighbouring NSW will also be on the minds of the Queensland State Government with any such decision.

58 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

I think it’s to do with the current level of COVID Restrictions by the Queensland Government in Brisbane.

These restrictions are on track to be eased in the next few days and so that’s when the Brisbane City Council may, or may not, announce a “live site” or a celebration of some sort.

The deteriorating COVID situation in neighbouring NSW will also be on the minds of the Queensland State Government with any such decision.

There is a live site planned for the Tokyo games at southbank with a large screen and activities. i would expect if anything that is where something would happen

• Like 1

Fortitude jusr posted this on Skyscrapercity.com re the telecast of the Vote:

Here is an update on viewing the presentation. Seven Network Australia (QLD) will be broadcasting the entire presentation and voting procedure. 4pm to 6pm AEST. Seven news will begin at 6pm AEST and will reveal the final result during the broadcast.
The IOC youtube channel will also broadcast the presentation and vote”

If Melbourne goes into lockdown I will be very disappointed as that will mean I miss out on the dream of being in the city when an Australian city is announced as Olympics host. I have 6 days until I travel to Queensland. I desperately hope I can go.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Fortitude jusr posted this on Skyscrapercity.com re the telecast of the Vote:

Here is an update on viewing the presentation. Seven Network Australia (QLD) will be broadcasting the entire presentation and voting procedure. 4pm to 6pm AEST. Seven news will begin at 6pm AEST and will reveal the final result during the broadcast.
The IOC youtube channel will also broadcast the presentation and vote”

How about seven network outside Queensland in other states?

49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

its not scheduled - whislt i would not expect it to be on the main channel, perhaps on a secondary digital channel but tis not listed for them either. 

1 minute ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I didnt think about going to Brisbane for the vote- but I was in Sydney and Beijing when they won!

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and would mean the world for me to be there so I am hoping like hell that I can still go

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and would mean the world for me to be there so I am hoping like hell that I can still go

if you make it up to the annoucement at southbank, i'll buy you a beverige of your choice at the pub (assuming your over 18)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tejas57 said:

if you make it up to the annoucement at southbank, i'll buy you a beverige of your choice at the pub (assuming your over 18)

I am over 18 but don't drink! 

I have butterflies in my stomach thinking about the prospect I could be locked out of being amongst the thick of the celebrations in Brisbane. six days to go. It will be a very long six days. 

The Vic govt appear not to be going for lockdown which could mean that they think they know where the cases are from and there isn't a need for a lockdown. Hopefully the QLD government doesn't shut the border. Last time, they shut the border when we officially went into lockdown. Atm we aren't going into lockdown.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Hi Victorian (from another Victorian), I feel for you as you’ve been looking forward to this trip so much. 

The event will be telecast live on the IOC YouTube channel so you will be able to see it if you can’t be in Brisbane at the live site. You can also select a different “home” state as Queensland on the 7plus app. You should then be able to watch it on there as well.

The Victorian lockdown 5-day lockdown just announced starts midnight tonight and is due to lift on Tuesday, and subject to any Queensland border restrictions, fingers crossed there might be a chance for you.