Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

2 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

first of a few i would think. i would think the various screens the council has - King George Square and Queen St Mall will be carrying it as well. would also not be suprised if the bridges across brisbane are lit again in the colours of the rings

Is there one in Brisbane? I want to travel up to Queensland from Victoria for it. I think it’ll be quite special

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Is there one in Brisbane? I want to travel up to Queensland from Victoria for it. I think it’ll be quite special

not officially yet. i am speculating about the 2 permanent big screens the council have  

Brisbane 2032
Key Moments that Shaped the Opportunity

February 2019 - Feasibility Study 2019
Council of Mayors South East Queensland (COMSEQ) released a Feasibility Study into hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032, along with a People Mass Movement Study looking at the region’s transport needs. Feasibility Study released February 2019.

May 2019 - Sport Accord Gold Coast Visit by IOC President
IOC President Thomas Bach met with the leadership of COMSEQ and business leaders prior to Sport Accord and with Qld Premier Palaszczuk during Sport Accord. President Bach makes complimentary remarks regarding Australia’s love of sport and capacity to host world-class events.

June 2019 - IOC Further Changes to “New Norm” Processes

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session met in June 2019, approving further changes to its New Norm process designed to make bidding for and hosting Olympic Games cheaper and more flexible. Key changes were that potential hosts could come from multiple cities, regions and even countries, rather than a single city. Also, a host city could also be selected earlier than seven years out from a Games, providing a potential decade or more lead-in to a Games.

June 2019 - Prime Minister Morrison meets with IOC President at G20 Osaka
AOC President facilitates a meeting between IOC President and Prime Minister during the G20 meeting in Japan on June 30. Federal Government subsequently commits $10 million towards candidature process.

July 2019 - Queensland Government Taskforce – Value Proposition Assessment
Queensland Premier establishes a Taskforce on July 23rd to examine the economic benefits and risks associated with Queensland hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032.

August 2019 - Olympic Candidature Leadership Group (OCLG) Meets

The first meeting of the OCLG, chaired by the Prime Minister, is held in Cairns on August 8 2019 with leadership of Queensland Government, Council of Mayors South East Queensland and the Australian Olympic Committee affirming their commitment to exploring a candidature. The OCLG is the group charged with carrying a candidature forward to the IOC. The Group meets monthly.

September 2019 - Delegation to IOC Headquarters, Lausanne Switzerland
Queensland Premier leads a delegation representing OCLG to the IOC Headquarters, meeting with IOC President Thomas Bach and receiving a briefing from IOC staff on key aspects of the candidature process. (Monday September 10th)

September 2019 - AOC Provides Update
On 15 September, John Coates writes to the IOC updating on progress since the Lausanne visit.

December 2019 - Queensland Government Commits to Olympic Games Candidature

On December 9th 2019, Queensland Government confirmed the Games could deliver two decades of benefits and were feasible with the financial support of all levels of Government . This conclusion was made after considering a Value Proposition Assessment designed to assess the risks and opportunities of hosting the Games. The VPA indicates the creation of 130,000 direct jobs and a $20 billion in international tourism expenditure.

The AOC 's response can be found here.

March 2020 - Discussions suspended due to COVID Pandemic
In March 2020, the OCLG agreed to suspend discussions with the IOC Future Host Commission as both the state and federal governments were dealing with the impact of the COVID Pandemic.  All parties agreed and consequently the IOC was advised of the pause.

November 2020 - Prime Minister Morrison meets
with President Bach and John Coates in Tokyo

On Tuesday 17 November, Prime Minister Scott Morrison agreed to meet with IOC President Thomas Bach and AOC President John Coates while all parties were in Tokyo in unrelated visits to Japan. At the meeting the PM reaffirmed the federal Government’s commitment to a Queensland Games.

December 2020 - Discussions to resume
On December 7, 2020 Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk met with John Coates in Brisbane and the Continuous Dialogue process recommenced.

January 2021 - IOC Presentation to Brisbane Candidature representatives
The IOC Future Host Commission provided an update on Monday Jan 18 attended by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, John Coates, Federal Sports Minister Richard Colbeck and Brisbane Mayor Adrian Schrinner.

February 2021 - Presentation to IOC Future Host Commission
On February 8, 2021, the Brisbane 2032 Candidature presentation was made to the Future Host Commission – Presenter were Catherine Freeman, John Coates, Federal Sports Minister Richard Colbeck, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Brisbane Mayor Adrian Schrinner, PA President Jock O’Callaghan & outlining progress on the candidature.

February 2021 - IOC Executive Board Instructs Future Host Commission to enter into “Targeted Dialogue” with the Brisbane candidature

On Wednesday February 24th (Lausanne time) the Executive Board received a presentation from the Future Host Commission on its ongoing dialogue (Continuous Dialogue) with potential Games candidates, including Brisbane, Queensland. Following that presentation, the Executive Board instructed the Future Host Commission to enter into “Targeted Dialogue” with the Brisbane candidature which now receives “preferred host” status.

March 2021 - John Coates on Brisbane’s ambition for Olympic Games 2032
On Friday 19 March, AOC President John Coates AC addressed the Committee for Brisbane 2033 Legacy Taskforce providing more detail into Brisbane's bid to host the 2032 Olympic Games and how sustainability would be managed.  Read full speech

April 7 2021 - Brisbane 2032 submits answers to FHC Questionnaire

The questionnaire covers key requirements for the Host including - Vision and Legacy (Olympic and Paralympic Games), Games Master Plan and Venues, Transport, Games Experience for Athletes and spectators, Sustainability, The Economics of the Games, Governance and Guarantees

May 10-12th, 2021 - IOC Conducts “Virtual Visit” to Brisbane
Held over three days, with live presentations from the Queensland Premier, Brisbane Lord Mayor, AOC President, PA President and the Prime Minister (on tape), Brisbane 2032 presented on a range of topics including Games’ Vision, the Games Masterplan and Venues, Transport, Games’ Experience for Athletes and Spectators, Sustainability, Economics of the Games, Governance and Guarantees.
The group also answered further questions from the Future Host Commission.
This was the last formal presentation ahead of the Executive Board Meeting on June 8-10th

June 8-10, 2021 - Future Host Commission recommends
preferred candidate to IOC Executive Board

On June 10, the Future Host Commission recommended to the IOC Executive Board that Brisbane host the Summer Olympic Games in 2032, presenting its final report. The IOC Executive Board consists of the IOC President, four Vice-Presidents and ten other IOC members including the Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission. It is elected by the full membership of the IOC. It has general responsibility for the administration of the IOC and management of its affairs.After considering the FHC report and posting questions in relation to the report, the Executive Board recommended that Brisbane 2032 should host the Summer Olympic Games in 2032. That recommendation will be voted on by the Members of the IOC
at the Session prior to the Tokyo Olympic Games 20-21 July.

July 2021 - IOC Session votes on Games’ hosts

The IOC Session consists of all IOC Members.

They will receive a presentation from Brisbane 2032, ask questions
and provide comments before a final decision is taken on whether
Brisbane will host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032.

Credit: AOC - Australian Olympic Committee

Cannot wait for this announcement! I have just booked my flights to the Gold Coast (ends up cheaper than Brisbane). Will hold off on the accomodation (Brisbane or Gold Coast) until I know what Brisbane will be doing.

Where should I be for the announcement? Party central Gold Coast or the heart of the games Brisbane?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Where should I be for the announcement? Party central Gold Coast or the heart of the games Brisbane?

I'm waiting to hear back from the Brisbane City Council to see what they are doing (I've sent an email to them and as soon as i know I'll post here) 

• Thanks 1

Leaner, cost-effective, practical: how the 2032 Brisbane Games could save the Olympics

“The 2032 Brisbane Games have the opportunity to showcase a new and improved model of Olympic hosting. The new “Brisbane model” for Olympic hosting could be one the IOC and future host cities will praise and seek to replicate.”

Though the official vote won’t happen until next month, Brisbane has already unofficially been awarded the hosting of the 2032 Summer Olympics.

This is potentially a great opportunity for Brisbane, Queensland and Australia. It will also be a catalyst to speed up long-term planning agendas for the fast-growing South East Queensland (SEQ) region.

Credit: The Conversation - click here to read more - June 21, 2021 

By Misha Ketchell

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Leaner, cost-effective, practical: how the 2032 Brisbane Games could save the Olympics

“The 2032 Brisbane Games have the opportunity to showcase a new and improved model of Olympic hosting. The new “Brisbane model” for Olympic hosting could be one the IOC and future host cities will praise and seek to replicate.”

By Misha Ketchell

Fully agree, I think Brisbane 2032 could be the most important games since 1984 (and possibly of all time)  if it goes well and is not too expensive it opens the options for host cities wide open

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 12:15 AM, Tejas57 said:

I'm waiting to hear back from the Brisbane City Council to see what they are doing (I've sent an email to them and as soon as i know I'll post here) 

this is the response i got

Hi  we are working with the Australian Olympic Committee to celebrate this very important date. Stay tuned for more information soon! Thanks, Emma.

• Thanks 1

Olympics to reheat council push for underground Brisbane Metro station

Lord mayor Adrian Schrinner has raised capacity concerns over the above-ground design for his council’s flagship Brisbane Metro stations south of the CBD, after “settling” on the option with the state government last year.

The site of the Cultural Centre station has been a long-running sore point between the two levels of government, now set to re-emerge should the Queensland capital win hosting rights for the 2032 Olympic Games next month.

QqhjyGY.jpg

Credit: Brisbane Times - click to read more - June 17, 2021

Metricon Stadium at Carrara with a Games Capacity crowd of 40,000
during the Opening Ceremony of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. 

The Stadium was initially a contender for Track and Field 
at the 2032 Olmpics, but since has since been overlooked in favour of the new Gabba Stadium with an increased 50,000 capacity and next to a train station

FeuvwR3.jpg

26 days to go
                                                    IOC Vote, Brisbane 2032
                                                              21 July 2021

this might sound a little stupid, but i was driving this morning across the story bridge and i saw the city all lit up (it was 5am) and I got a little emotional thinking about it. This view (and i don't doubt a cam will be mounted on the bridge for beauty shots) will be seen all over the world, if things go well in 26 days.

I know it sounds dumb, but having lived in large cities myself (Melbourne, Sydney and Toronto) the thought that Brisbane would host the Olympics was never a thought. I never thought it would happen, as it doesn't have the international clout for it. 

I think this morning i went from knowing it could happen to feeling it 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

this might sound a little stupid, but i was driving this morning across the story bridge and i saw the city all lit up (it was 5am) and I got a little emotional thinking about it. This view (and i don't doubt a cam will be mounted on the bridge for beauty shots) will be seen all over the world, if things go well in 26 days.

I know it sounds dumb, but having lived in large cities myself (Melbourne, Sydney and Toronto) the thought that Brisbane would host the Olympics was never a thought. I never thought it would happen, as it doesn't have the international clout for it. 

I think this morning i went from knowing it could happen to feeling it 

Don’t feel embarressed.  You’re not alone   It’s a great feeling, and just incredible knowing that the Greatest Show on Earth is very likely to be coming to Brisbane and Queensland and back Down Under for a 3rd time in 11 years time.

Bloody amazing I say!  and they’ve worked bloody hard for it.

The Games will set Brissie and Queensland alight with genuine warmth and our great Aussie spirit.  

One of the most unique set of circumstances in. history, World Wars aside, to be Bidding for an Olympic Games.  

Despite the knockers, Brisbane read the room, quickly grasped the new bidding rules and just hell for leather went for it, leading from the front, dotting the ‘i’ s,  crossing the ‘t’ s.      

Sydney 2000 seemed like yesterday, but now we’re looking toward Brisbane 2032, if we get the numbers, to Welcome the World in the best possible Aussie way in stunning Queensland, cheering on all athletes no matter from where they’ve come.

It will beat Sydney’s amazing magic even more and Brisbane 2032 will be the best possible Games ever, because that’s what we do, we can’t help it.

• Like 1

GAMES SHOW WARM SIDE OF AUSSIES

September 24, 2000

“The crowd on its feet cheering Moussambani to the pool wall gave event to that strange Australian quality that makes people here go overboard and reach into their wallets to help the underdog.. “

By Uli Schmetzer, Tribune Olympic Bureau CHICAGO TRIBUNE

Eric the Swimmer was tailor-made as the accidental hero of the first week of the Olympic Games. Australians, after all, love the underdog, cheer "the battler" and nurture a genetic distaste for rigid regulations.

Click to read more>  Chicago Tribune

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Eric the Swimmer was tailor-made as the accidental hero of the first week of the Olympic Games

Eric the Eel. one of the massive highlights of Sydney for me, along with Cathy, The beach volleyballers, and of course the 4 x 100 relay team 

• Like 1

The uncomfortable truths of Brisbane’s bidding rivals

If Brisbane Bid’s was to fall over, and it won’t, but just pretend it did, the IOC would not be able to recommend a single one of Brisbane’s parked bidding rivals because every single one has big problems with their bids and so their chances.

No disrespect intended to these BIdders or to anyone else.  This is only my understanding of these so happy to be corrected if innaccurate:

Budapest, Hungary - lack of majority support of it’s citizens. Withdrew it’s 2024 bid because of this. In Jan this year, it formed a committee to “explore a possible bid” but support from it’s citizens is as far away as ever. Has had 6 failed bids so far. Wishful thinking.

Chendu and Chonqqing, China - announced their bid in November 2020 and around the same time, the previous 2032 Shanghai bid mysteriously went very quiet. The boycott movement against the 2022 winter games and the debate about China’s human rights is heavily weighing against their chances.

Doha, Qatar - too hot.  new IOC rules now require the Summer Games must be in July/August.  Airb-condtioned stadiums used for the 2022 Wolrd Cup are not going to help the outdoors sports and spectators, even if events were run at midnight, it would still be running in an oven.

India - initially interested in 2032 but have announced recently they are aiming for 2048 instead.

Indonesia - very late. Meryl Streep’s line equally applies. Announced an Olympic bid commmittee ti be formed in January this year. An announcement of a bid committee one month before Brisbane was the only bidder invited into Targeted Dialogue in February.

Madrid, Spain - lack of government support and citizen support after 3 failed bids. The national olympic committee at one stage, wanted to bid for both winter and summer games in 2030 and 2032.

Rhine-Rhur, Germany - this bid was the biggest disappointment and sadly is a train wreck, in-fighting, majority of citizens don’t want it, lack of government support. Attacked the IOC this year - big mistake. The IOC promptly returned fire.

St Petersberg, Russia - Russia continues to be banned from the Olympics for wide-spread doping. In the norty corner now means forget bidding for a long time.

Toronto/Montreal, Canada -  too little, too late.  Reported in March this year to be “interested in 2032 or beyond” as a joint bid.  As Meryl Streep said, “Going at a glacial pace”.  Not a serious contender for 2032 but would be avgenuine contender for 2036 or beyond.   Should have started their 2032 bid when the gun went off 3 years ago like Brissie did.

South and North Korea - this Bid never got to the startline.  The relationship between the two countries both too erratic and unstable.

Did I leave anyone out (?) As I said, happy to be corrected on these, but these are my understandings of Brisbane’s rivals and why the IOC has not recommended them.   

All COVID did, was to mask the uncomfortable truths with these Bids.

Post-poning next month’s vote 6 months or a year won’t magically solve their problems. 

They know it, and the IOC certainly knows it. 

The IOC are hoping to lock in Brisbane next month so they can breathe and sleep again.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

India - initially interested in 2032 but have announced recently they are aiming for 2048 instead.

Indonesia - very late. Meryl Streep’s line equally applies. Announced an Olympic bid commmittee ti be formed in January this year. An announcement of a bid committee one month before Brisbane was the only bidder invited into Targeted Dialogue in February.

After the issues in Rio, it will be a long time before a country like India, Indonesia and South Africa get the games. it will only happen if there is no other bidder, and it feels like one of the reasons for the new bid process is to avoid cities like this.

Toronto/Montreal, Canada -  too little, too late.  Reported in March this year to be “interested in 2032 or beyond” as a joint bid.  As Meryl Streep said, “Going at a glacial pace”.  Not a serious contender for 2032 but would be avgenuine contender for 2036 or beyond.   Should have started their 2032 bid when the gun went off 3 years ago like Brissie did.

The legacy of 1976 still looms large over Montreal. The cost was 13 times more than budgeted and was not fully paid off until 2006. This puts the public against any future bid. As someone who has lived in Toronto I have no doubt they could pull off a great games, but i don't think the public support is there.

Madrid, Spain - lack of government support and citizen support after 3 failed bids. The national olympic committee at one stage, wanted to bid for both winter and summer games in 2030 and 2032.

Be a bit of a slap to Brisbane if they lost out again to a Spanish city (given Brisbane bid for 1992) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tejas57 said:

After the issues in Rio, it will be a long time before a country like India, Indonesia and South Africa get the games. it will only happen if there is no other bidder, and it feels like one of the reasons for the new bid process is to avoid cities like this.

The legacy of 1976 still looms large over Montreal. The cost was 13 times more than budgeted and was not fully paid off until 2006. This puts the public against any future bid. As someone who has lived in Toronto I have no doubt they could pull off a great games, but i don't think the public support is there.

Be a bit of a slap to Brisbane if they lost out again to a Spanish city (given Brisbane bid for 1992) 

The comoforting thing for the Brisbane 2032 Bid Team, who are doing the one and only presentation, is that they will be there but not  a single one of Brissie’s rivals will be there.

We just need 51 Votes of 101 available votes (102 total minus the IOC President who abstains unless it is a tie) and the Games are ours.

Can the Brisbane 2032 vote on 21 July be tied?

With only Brisbane recommended for election and only the Brisbane Bid Team present, I believe that there are now circumstances under which the IOC President must cast a deciding vote.

Brisbane must secure 51% of the IOC Members to be elected Host.

If all IOC members are present, ie not away sick, etc, then

102 Members minus 1 (IOC President) = 101 members vote Yes or No to Brisbane

So the closest a vote can possibly can be if all members are present and no-one else abstains except the IOC President, is:

• Yes: 51 Votes and No: 50 votes - Brisbane elected by 1 
  • No: 51 Votes and Yes: 50 votes - Brisbane not elected by 1

But

If just one IOC Member is not present, that brings the total available votes down to 100 - an even number.

If the vote is then tied at 50/50, the IOC President casts the deciding vote.

This is the first time in Olympic history that a Host will be elected this way under the IOC’s Agenda 2020+5 / New Norm changes.

This is my understanding of how it will under the new system anyway :rolleyes:

From the previous report re the 21 July Vote:

Brisbane 2032 Games confirmation vote set for July 21

“All of this together made it irresistible for the Commission as well as for the executive board today. But we are not there yet. It’s in the hands of the IOC members now to a vote on July 21.”

There are 102 IOC members. It is unlikely they would vote against the recommendation, which will be subject to a yes or no vote and will not offer IOC members an alternative to Brisbane.  

Mr Bach declined to be drawn on what would happen if members voted down the proposal.”

Credit: Australian Financial Review - click to read more - June 11, 2021

Nothing new though. It’s always been the case that’s a host vote could go to a tie, with the president then having the tie-break vote.

We’ve even used that as the model for our logo comps since they began.

And it’s not like the July vote is even likely to be deadlocked anyway. Pure rubber stamp.

• Thanks 1