Jump to content

Brisbane 2032


AustralianFan
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

What’s the alternative?

 

The Bandits orignally played at the showgrounds which was a good venue. There are also baseball fields in richlands and in Darra

 

Darra has 4 fields, it's within walking distance of the station and is in a commercial area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Victorian said:

So venues missing form the original feasibility study are

State Netball Centre (Nissan Arena) for Boxing

Larapinta Flatwater Centre for Rowing/Canoe Spirnt

Sunshine Coast Convention and Entertainment Centre for Basketball

It looks also like the Whitsundays are not in the frame anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Victorian said:

What has happened to Surfing, Karate, Skateboarding, Sportsclimbing, Baseball/Softball and the potential addition of Cricket?

Surfing would be a hostly contested venue battle between the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast? Maybe one hosts Men's Surfing and the other hosts Women's Surfing?

Karate could take place at the Queensland State Netball Centre (Nissan Arena) in South of Brisbane

Baseball/Softball could take place at Holloway Field in the Herston Cluster or Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast in the Carrara Cluster if it isn't used for cricket.

Stateboarding and Sports Climbing I have no clue where- Maybe a temporary venue on the Sunshine Coast?

Cricket has lots of options- Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast, Allan Border Field in Brisbane, Riverway Stadium in Townsville, Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns

It seems that some of these sports are not yet permanent in the IOC schedule. They are possibly in some sort of IOC “trial” or “probationary” category.  Sportclimbing and Surfing for instance are making their debuts in Tokyo.

Baseball and softball have been oddly in and out of the Olympics in recent decades but its good they’re back - but for how long?

I think the demonstration sport, eg cricket, might be negotiated once the Host Contract is signed, but not absolutely sure.

Perhaps Metricon Stadium at Carrara is being held in their backpocket just for now(?).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Baseball and softball have been oddly in and out of the Olympics in recent decades but its good they’re back - but for how long?

 

They're allowing hosts from Tokyo onwards to add a few sports which don't add much in terms of new venues. Baseball being in for Japan and the USA but out for France makes sense. I find it hard to believe it'll back for Australia's Games. It might be that baseball isn't picked for a while after 2028.

I'm not sure what criteria these sports must meet to be eligible for inclusion as a one-off (or two-off, as in the case of baseball). But I'm sure cricket is monitoring things.

I'm not sure that applies to the other sports listed (climbing, surfing etc), which I think are new, permanent  additions to the core programme.

 

Edited by Rob.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

  

 

They're allowing hosts from Tokyo onwards to add a few sports which don't add much in terms of new venues. Baseball being in for Japan and the USA but out for France makes sense. I find it hard to believe it'll back for Australia's Games. It might be that baseball isn't picked for a while after 2028.

I'm not sure what criteria these sports must meet to be eligible for inclusion as a one-off (or two-off, as in the case of baseball). But I'm sure cricket is monitoring things.

I'm not sure that applies to the other sports listed (climbing, surfing etc), which I think are new, permanent  additions to the core programme.

 

Does anyone know what the rules are as in what sports are core and how many (and what ones) sports the host city (or in this case cities) can choose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Victorian said:

Does anyone know what the rules are as in what sports are core and how many (and what ones) sports the host city (or in this case cities) can choose?

best i can find is here

 

25 core sports with t

  1. Archery
  2. Rowing
  3. Badminton
  4. Basketball
  5. Boxing
  6. Canoeing
  7. Cycling
  8. Equestrian
  9. Fencing
  10. Football
  11. Golf
  12. Gymnastics
  13. Handball
  14. Hockey
  15. Judo
  16. Modern pentathlon
  17. Rugby
  18. Sailing
  19. Shooting
  20. Swimming (aquatics)
  21. Table tennis
  22. Taekwondo
  23. Tennis
  24. Track and field
  25. Triathlon
  26. Volleyball
  27. Weight lifting
  28. Wrestling

hree “floating” sports. This new system was set to start from the Olympics from 2020. The cap of 28 sport was then lifted to a more flexibile model.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Good Old Aussie Inferiority Complex Never Hurts

You gotta laugh.

The awarding of a big sporting event to Australia, whether it be an Olympic Games, World Cup, World Championship, Commonwealth Games etc will always bring out the supporters and the whingers, even Aussie ones.

In another Olympic blog similar to this one at Skycrapercity, there was this one post, actually from an Aussie, who displayed all the hallmarks of good old Aussie inferiority complex and insecurity about how we’ll look on the world’s stage. And in another good Aussie tradition forgetting in an instant all that history that came before it.

The post:

“You have to go back to Helsinki 52 to find a smaller host. Brisbane lacks prestige. Has the feel of a glorified Comms Games. Bit of a pisstake really.”

The reply:

“Wow, sounds like a good dose of insecurity on the world’s stage coming out there … but that’s ok.”

“Don’t worry mate, we’ll be right because Aussies doesn’t do things by halves … and we’re damn good at putting on world sporting events.”

“This is shaping to be the best Olympics ever … just like Sydney,… only better, because we always set the bar high and we always deliver, whereever it is in Australia.”

“Aside from our world famous proven technical track record, Aussies love sport and we will always throw on the best party of sport, warmth and togetherness which will welcome the world and make them feel right at home.”

“Look at our stunning Games in Melbourne in 1956 when similar things were said about this “small” city in a “small” country down under on the other side of the planet. We Aussies even changed the previous Olympic tradition at the Closing Ceremony of all athletes and officials warmly marching into the stadium as one whole worldwide group of people, no longer separated into separate groups or separate countries.”

“That said it all and the world dubbed those Games as the Friendly Games. Aside from stunning the world at those Melbourrne Games in the best possible way with our party of sport, that tradition of marching in together as one group as been adopted ever since by the IOC and every Olympic Games since.”

“The various World sporting championships, Commonwealth Games, Olympics Games, World Cups have hosted here have always been praised as huge successes both technically but more importantly really welcoming the world in a party of Aussie warmth, spirit and sportsmanship.”

“We always win the world over.”

“So have no fear mate … we’re bloody good at this, always have been.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tejas57 said:

best i can find is here

 

25 core sports with t

  1. Archery
  2. Rowing
  3. Badminton
  4. Basketball
  5. Boxing
  6. Canoeing
  7. Cycling
  8. Equestrian
  9. Fencing
  10. Football
  11. Golf
  12. Gymnastics
  13. Handball
  14. Hockey
  15. Judo
  16. Modern pentathlon
  17. Rugby
  18. Sailing
  19. Shooting
  20. Swimming (aquatics)
  21. Table tennis
  22. Taekwondo
  23. Tennis
  24. Track and field
  25. Triathlon
  26. Volleyball
  27. Weight lifting
  28. Wrestling

hree “floating” sports. This new system was set to start from the Olympics from 2020. The cap of 28 sport was then lifted to a more flexibile model.

 

 

Excellent research. I was wondering about that too,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Under Agenda 2020 the host country/city/entity of the Games can select a few sports that have regional/national importance, sports they wish to grow nationally, or sports they wish to showcase. These sports are not core sports on the program, and thus might be best described as “one-offs” in principle. However, as we’ve seen with Tokyo and Paris, some countries will choose the same sports under this criteria.

So as a hypothetical, Brisbane could ask for the likes of Cricket, or Lawn Bowls, or Netball, or Surfing, etc. to be added to the official sports program for that edition of the Games.

There’s also a possibility the core sports program will have changed by the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games. The IOC is supposed to hold a vote every 4 (or 8, can’t remember which) years to remove one sport from the core sports program, and then have an open election for that spot (the sport that is removed can run to be reinstated, which is what happened to wrestling before Rio).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

$50m to be spent on Brisbane sports facilities, spurred by 2032 Olympics bid

“Brisbane’s likely selection as host of the 2032 Olympics, and the increasing number of women and girls playing sport, have led to a $50 million boost to sporting facilities across the city.“

“At Giffin Park, $750,000 will be spent on improving the grounds and spectator facilities, while on Brisbane’s northside, Emerson Park at the Grange will receive $459,000 to improve the fields.”

“”At Kangaroo Point’s Raymond Park – which will be used as a warm-up field for athletes if Brisbane wins the 2032 Olympics – funding will improve fields used by the Kangaroo Point Rovers Football Club and the Brisbane City Quidditch Club.”

“More than $19 million has been earmarked for new sports parks, including the facility at Nudgee Recreation Reserve, while $16.8 million will go towards upgrading the city’s existing sporting clubs and fields.”

Credit: Brisbane Times    June 13, 2021

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rowing, Canoe/Kayak (Sprint)

  • existing venue at Lake Wyaralong Flatwater Centre, Queensland
  • 2024-2026 upgrade works will bring it up to international standard
  • 40 minutes away is the “Olympic Village 4” at an existing Kooralbyn resort + temporary units
  • back-up option: Sydney International Regatta Centre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tejas57 said:

from what i can tell from the report, this cream colored building will be demolished and the IBC will take it's place

Excellent find.   Yes, until now, haven’t seen much about the IBC and MPC.

 From the Future Commission’s Report:

IBC

  • in temporary 57,000m2 structure, South Brisbane
  • within walking distance of media accommodation, 5 venues and public transport,
  • 800m from the MPC

 

MPC

  • 30,000m2 in Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
  • shuttle busses between MPC and IBC

Tlu9UXm.jpg

Credit: 10 June 2021 - IOC Future Commission Report on Brisbane

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Excellent find.   Yes, until now, haven’t seen much about the IBC and MPC.

 From the Future Commission’s Report:

IBC

  • in temporary 57,000m2 structure, South Brisbane
  • within walking distance of media accommodation, 5 venues and public transport,
  • 800m from the MPC

 

MPC

  • 30,000m2 in Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
  • shuttle busses between MPC and IBC

Tlu9UXm.jpg

Credit: 10 June 2021 - IOC Future Commission Report on Brisbane

 

What’s the point of having it temporary?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tejas57 said:

theres probally no need post games for a 57,000m2 space that near to the city post games

I was thinking about this and also its also probably because that area is going though gentrification. i have no doubt, given its location that it will be made into residential towers. it's right on the river, and walking across the bridge will take you to lang park (the site of the football finals)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2021 at 9:34 PM, Victorian said:

So venues missing form the original feasibility study are

State Netball Centre (Nissan Arena) for Boxing

Larapinta Flatwater Centre for Rowing/Canoe Spirnt

Sunshine Coast Convention and Entertainment Centre for Basketball

  • Yes, looks like the State Netball Centre is off the radar with Boxing switching to the new Moreton Bay Indoor Sports Centre.
  • The Lake Wyaralong Flatwater Centre with upgrades being preferred over Larapinta, may have something to do with the location of a satellite Olympic Village in the form of an existing resort at Kooralbyn only 40 minutes from the venue.
  • the IOC are saying that Basketball preliminaries and Finals can all be held at the one venue like Tokyo is doing (Brisbane Indoor Sports Centre - capacity 15,000).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Transport Infrastructure

The IOC Future Host Commission Report lists the supporting Transport Infrastructure for the Games:
 

  • SEQ Rail Network
  • G-Link Gold Coast Light Rail
  • SEQ Motorways
  • Kingsford Smith Drive
  • Brisbane Metro
  • Beerburrum to Nambour Rail Upgrade
  • Bruce Highway (M1) Upgrade
  • Pacifc Motorway (M1) Upgrade
  • Centenary Motorway (M1) Upgrade
  • Warrego Highway Upgrade
  • Cross River Rail
  • Eastern Priority Bus Corridor
  • Coomera Connector

u6QG4lW.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Transport Infrastructure

The IOC Future Host Commission Report

 lists the supporting Transport Infrastructure for the Games:
 

 

  • SEQ Rail Network
  • G-Link Gold Coast Light Rail
  • SEQ Motorways
  • Kingsford Smith Drive
  • Brisbane Metro
  • Beerburrum to Nambour Rail Upgrade
  • Bruce Highway (M1) Upgrade
  • Pacifc Motorway (M1) Upgrade
  • Centenary Motorway (M1) Upgrade
  • Warrego Highway Upgrade
  • Cross River Rail
  • Eastern Priority Bus Corridor
  • Coomera Connector

u6QG4lW.jpg

 

I wonder if this will spark better transport to Metricon Stadium? The bus service at the moment is pathetic. They've got to find a way to get the G Link tram to Metricon quick fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Transport Infrastructure

The IOC Future Host Commission Report lists the supporting Transport Infrastructure for the Games:
 

  • SEQ Rail Network
  • G-Link Gold Coast Light Rail
  • SEQ Motorways
  • Kingsford Smith Drive
  • Brisbane Metro
  • Beerburrum to Nambour Rail Upgrade
  • Bruce Highway (M1) Upgrade
  • Pacifc Motorway (M1) Upgrade
  • Centenary Motorway (M1) Upgrade
  • Warrego Highway Upgrade
  • Cross River Rail
  • Eastern Priority Bus Corridor
  • Coomera Connector

u6QG4lW.jpg

 

It needs to be known that all of this infrastructure isn't being done just because of the games and pretty much all of it was already planned or already in the process of being done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I wonder if this will spark better transport to Metricon Stadium? The bus service at the moment is pathetic. They've got to find a way to get the G Link tram to Metricon quick fast.

Yes true at any time a tram service is needed to Metricon Stadium for AFL.

For the Games, they might be keeping that Stadium free because they might use it for a new or demonstration sport to be added to Brisbane Games in the coming years, eg cricket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ulu said:

It needs to be known that all of this infrastructure isn't being done just because of the games and pretty much all of it was already planned or already in the process of being done.

Fully agree, was much needed even if no Games, with the population in SEQ ballooning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes true at any time a tram service is needed to Metricon Stadium for AFL.

 

 

the plan is always to add a spur to Metricon - this has been on the books since 2013, but the priority is the airport. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...