Sign in to follow this  
AustralianFan

Brisbane 2032

Government Decision To Pursue Queensland 2032 Olympic Bid Possible By December

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 1:13 PM by Robert Livingstone in FeaturedFuture Summer Bids

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said that her government should have what it needs to determine whether to move forward with Australia’s Olympic bid by December this year.

She told the Brisbane Times Tuesday that a proposal and feasibility study funded in part by the federal government should be delivered before the end of the year, and in time for the cabinet to consider the results.

But Palaszczuk warned that if the findings weren’t positive for the region, she would abandon the project.

“If the Games do not offer real benefits to this state then, of course, we will not pursue them,” she said.

Bid promoters hope to leverage a potential USD $1.8 billion (AUD $2.6 billion) investment from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) combined with existing venues from across Queensland to host a cost-neutral Games.  In return, it is hoped the region will be able to hasten the development of much-needed transportation infrastructure upgrades and create new jobs and private investment.

“If it delivers these things sooner than they would otherwise, then so much the better,” she said.

“This is not just about a couple of weeks of competition. It is about accelerating decades’ worth of jobs investment.

“It’s about getting things off the drawing boards and into our lives,” she said, according to the Brisbane Times.

Palaszczuk led a high-level Australian delegation that traveled to IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland last week to meet IOC President Thomas Bach and site selection officials to discuss a possible bid.

Both sides reported positive results from the preliminary meeting.

“We clearly have the attention of the International Olympic Committee,” Palaszczuk said.

Along with transport upgrades, the bid bid team will need to identify an Olympic Village for athletes staying in state capital Brisbane, as well as develop plans to construct a nearby stadium that can seat at least 60,000 spectators at Games time.

The Queensland bid, expected to be led by Brisbane if plans move forward, is already considered a strong favorite to be elected to host the Games in 2032.  Plans to open the race in 2023 were dropped in June when the IOC voted to change bidding rules and open a dialog with interested cities immediately.

In the past, host cities were chosen seven year in advance, but now a host can be elected at any all-members session.

Queensland could face rivals on the International stage including from India, Indonesia, China and jointly between North and South Korea.

Last week IOC President Thomas Bach said that he was “confident” a bid from Germany could be organized to pursue the Games in 2032 or 2036.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:54 AM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Two factors - the IOC's apparently non-negotible hosting window and the AOC's refusal to back a Melbourne bid.,  The first is due to TV rights, the second is due to the head of the AOC being a bit of a dick and Melbourne has a relatively mild - yet wet - winter.  July/August has fog, rain. sometimes snow on the higher hills and day time temperatures rarely above 18 degrees celcius.  Never mind that the vast majority of sports are indoors and long distance athletes have repeatedly stated they'd rather run a marathon in cooler weather...

So that is it.  Climate, John Coates and NBC basically.

I would lean more towards the latter with the AOC along with the fact that Melbourne never really seemed to actually show any interest. I have a colleague from Melbourne and I asked him not long ago if there was ever any interest from local officials in a bid and he said no. In terms of the weather issue, while it's a factor, I highly doubt if Australia said Melbourne is our host city, that the IOC wouldn't bend the rules a bit. Australia is too large a media market and with the whole bidding process on shaky ground anyway, I could've seen it happening, but, if Melbourne was never interested it's a moot point.

The troubling issue is the push for Brisbane seems like putting a square peg in a round hole. Brisbane needs lots of work in terms of venues and transportation upgrades to make this work and frankly, it would not surprise me the least if the costs got out of hand very quickly. In terms of Bach's comments about electing a Brisbane bid early, well, I take that with a grain of salt at this point, but it fits in line with a targeted approach and a desire for a safe bid considering the potential competition: Korea, Jakarta, Shanghai, India, or Germany. Jakarta and India are out. There's no way the IOC is going to a developing country again anytime soon and I'd also rule out all of Africa and South America as well (that's what the YOG are for). I can't see the IOC going back to China so soon after Beijing 2022 and the joint Korea bid requires so much to fall into place besides the political problems (Pyongyang's infrastructure is archaic) that it's a fantasy. I'd say a Brisbane bid's biggest competitor would be a German bid, the Rhine-Rhur regional bid, but then there's the old referendum issue which hasn't gone well for German bids recently. As I've stated before, I doubt for a while the IOC considers a SOGs from anyone other than the USA, Western Europe, Russia, China, Japan, Australia, or Korea. 

There was a credible push from the Victorian state government for a Melbourne bid for 2028/2032 however the AOC flat out said no (there is a lot of back story to the AOC basically hating Melbourne). Thus the Melburnians know until Coates is ousted (and they tried to do that a couple of years back) there is no point.

• Sad 1

NEW 80,000-SEAT BRISBANE STADIUM TO BE CENTREPIECE OF 2032 OLYMPICS BID

Australian Leisure Management

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/new-80000-seat-brisbane-stadium-centrepiece-of-olympics-bid/

September 11, 2019

Plans for an 80,000 capacity Olympic stadium in Brisbane have been revealed as the centrepiece of a Queensland bid for the 2032 Games.

The stadium, which would host the athletics and opening and closing ceremonies of a south east Queensland Games, features as part of a 2032 Olympics and Paralympics masterplan that included two athletes villages - one in Brisbane and the other on the Gold Coast - a faster rail network linking the region and a second M1 Highway between the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Potential locations for the new venue include the RNA Showgrounds, QEII Stadium at Nathan, the Mayne Rodd Rail Yards at Bowen Hills and Albion Park.

The plans were announced as an Australian delegation that included Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Australian Olympic Committee President John Coates and Star Entertainment Group Chairman John O’Neill met with International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach in Switzerland overnight.

Premier Palaszczuk told IOC executives that Queensland would stage a “safe and welcoming” Games.

Speaking to Bach she advised “we will provide a safe and welcoming Games, … there is no other place like Queensland on the planet.’’

In a new approach to for bids to host the Games, Bach has invited host cities and nations to develop plans with the IOC executive to work out whether bid are feasible.

Bach has previously advised that he wants “very few losers’’ from the new bidding process.

If Queensland’s pitch impresses the IOC, it will proceed on its final bid, which will go before the IOC just before the Tokyo Olympics in July next year before a final decision by 2022.

Annastacia Palaszczuk said a 2032 Queensland Olympics would be ‘the People’s Games’

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/brisbane-olympic-stadium-stirs-ioc-questions/news-story/5f1d0df9594b6c7bf42e4ad3ab1f2928

By JACQUELIN MAGNAY LAUSANNE September 11, 2019

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said a 2032 Queensland Olympics would be ‘’the People’s Games’’ and foreshadowed a golden age for the state as an Olympic bid took a giant leap amidst effusive praise from the International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach.

Mr Bach used the word “impressive’’ at least six times about the Queensland 2032 plans when speaking to reporters on Tuesday evening and when questioned if there were sticking points the team needed to work on, he said simply: “no’’.

Mrs Palaszczuk has even brought forward a final deadline about making a decision whether to bid for the Games. At the beginning of the week the plan was to decide by the end of the year, but yesterday she brought it forward by a month.

Standing beside Mr Bach, Ms Palaszczuk said: “the expansive presentations of the International Olympic Committee has been beneficial (to help us understand) what we need to do to complete the value assessment as soon as possible. I would like to see it completed by the end of November.’’

She then added: “I would like to see these as the People’s Games, for the people and inclusive of our people’’.

The Prime Minister’s Queensland Olympic Candidature Leadership group is due to meet in early December and could then sign off on the Olympic bid proposal as soon as it is passed by the Queensland government.

If the bid proceeds, Queensland would work with the IOC’s Future Candidature Commission for the Summer Olympics to fine-tune their proposal. The announcement of who will be on this all-important commission is due to be announced next month. The commission will scrutinise the plans of Queensland and other interested bidders before putting together a recommendation to an IOC session of its 100 plus members, which could occur in 2021.

Mr Bach said the questions from the Australian team were in-depth and showed a high level of preparedness, which was unusual, but which gave him confidence that a decision about the 2032 Olympics would be definitely made well before 2025.

“My only advice is to keep going,’’ he said.

“I must say its innovative to have all parties united and behind this big project and sport in Australia.

“This shows this project is not only about the elite athletes and elite sport but about the communities and also informed the Queenslanders themselves are highly supportive of the project, if you add to this the enthusiasm for sport of which the Aussies are famous … I think it is fair to say this project has all the ingredients to become a successful candidature. So the ball is in your court now to digest all this information, to see what it means for you and make a good decision.’’

After the series of meetings which were held at the new Olympic headquarters in Lausanne Ms Palaszczuk was enthusiastic about the economic benefits and fast tracking of much needed transport infrastructure to South East Queensland that a Games would bring.

Ms Palaszczuk said she was able to show the IOC that about 85 per cent of venues were already in place and could be used for a 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games. But one venue not yet decided on was the main stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies and athletics.

She was also satisfied that the Olympic Movement and Queenslanders shared common values about opportunities for young people, the environment and sustainability. Crucially the IOC also confirmed they would be contributing around $2.5bn to the operating Games budget that is projected to be $5.3bn.

“I believe we share common values and the ideals and values of the Olympic Movement,’’ Ms Palaszczuk said.

“The pride that (a 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games) will bring to Queensland and across our nations as well, it could be a golden age for Queensland and it sets Queensland’s future up with jobs and investment for decades to come.’’

Mr Bach said he was happy to have met “optimistic and forward looking politicians’’.

“That was a very good experience,’’ he noted.

Australian Olympic Committee President John Coates said the exchange was both successful and a critical next step for Queensland. “Across a range of critical areas, the delegation gained vital insights into the IOC’s thinking about what a Games candidature looks like and how the IOC’s vision for the Game can align with Queensland’s vision for the state’s future,’’ he said.

“The overwhelming message the Queensland team can take home is that putting together a viable candidature is very much a partnership between the potential host and the IOC.

“The IOC team could not have been more helpful in providing expert insight into where the Olympic movement is heading, how the Olympic sports program works, Games funding and the risks and opportunities Queensland should consider.’’

Mr Coates said it was useful for all delegation members to hear first-hand the IOC’s focus on reducing costs, reducing complexity, risk and waste.

“I think we all understand that the Queensland community must be kept informed and engaged throughout the process ahead,’’ Mr Coates said.

“The warmth and welcoming attitude of the Queensland people is a wonderful asset.

“To have the united leadership at federal, state and local government level sends a powerful signal. The delegation showed great unity of purpose and demonstrated that Queensland can make a compelling case.

“Today’s exchange of information will certainly help strengthen that case, should Queensland decide to proceed with a candidature,” Mr Coates said.

Sounding increasingly like the hosting deal is done in principle, & it’s just waiting on formal agreement by the Queensland government. Hopefully it works, there’s not much that could do the Olympics more good than if they could prove that cities in that 1-3 million range can still host the Games. 

I know people are a little wary and Brisbane isn't exactly known for the glitz and glamor you expect from most host cities. But if this bid really does make it through and Queensland is the host, I really hope it blazes a trail for a new era of regional bids and reintroduces smaller cities in the 1-3 million range as potential hosts for the games. 

This type of expansion and inclusion is sorely needed in today's era of the games. 

reintroduces smaller cities in the 1-3 million range as potential hosts for the games

Auckland 2040 here we come! 

Anyways, I expect that Brisbane will at least put up a very strong bid. 

I disagree that a new stadium should be built, I think upgrading The Gabba or Suncorp stadium would be ideal.

16 hours ago, Vill said:

Auckland 2040 here we come! 

Anyways, I expect that Brisbane will at least put up a very strong bid. 

I disagree that a new stadium should be built, I think upgrading The Gabba or Suncorp stadium would be ideal.

Neither of which is possible.

Suncorp is not a modular stadium - it would require a complete rebuild.

The Gabba cannot accommodate a track in it's current configuration and there is no land nearby to expand into.  It is completely surrounded by major arterial roads and residential areas. Furthermore Cricket Australia have flat out stated they will not allow it.

The only feasible existing stadium is QSAC - however access via public transport of spotty at best and the entire area is completely built up now. 

The best immediate option is Metricon Stadium down on the Gold Coast but there is no way the IAAF or the IOC will let that happen.

Australian Olympic boss rules out NZ element to Queensland's 2032 bid

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/australian-olympic-boss-rules-out-nz-element-to-queensland-s-2032-bid-20191121-p53cwl.html

By Stuart Layt , Brisbane Times, November 21, 2019 — 5.15pm

New Zealand will not form any part of a possible Queensland bid for the 2032 Olympics, after the Premier and the Australian Olympic boss rejected the suggestion from the state's former Commonwealth Games minister.

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates said on Thursday there was no suggestion New Zealand would be included in any bid.

“It’s never been suggested and when you stop and think about it, the reason we’ve come to Queensland is the weather,” Mr Coates said.

“Are we going to go to the Arctic, are we?”

Mr Coates said rules existed defining how much of a games could be held in a different country if decent facilities couldn’t be found in the host country, and Queensland would be able to provide excellent facilities.

“There are options for [a new stadium site]. There are four options for the rowing course, not all is finalised yet,” he said.

“And it may well be that we get to December when it goes to cabinet and there will be some things that will change in the six months before a final submission is made to the IOC.”

State Tourism Minister Kate Jones mentioned New Zealand in connection with the Queensland Olympic bid while taking questions at the Queensland Media Club on Wednesday.

"[The International Olympic Committee’s] willingness to allow us to host it over more locations, either in Queensland or indeed Australia, there’s been some talk about New Zealand..." Ms Jones said, then realised she’d mis-spoken.

"I shouldn’t say that in front of a whole bunch of journos, should I?" she said, laughing.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk also hosed down the New Zealand suggestion at a media conference earlier on Thursday.

“There is no entertaining at all of New Zealand at all being part of the Queensland Olympics bid,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

The Premier and Mr Coates were both due to attend a meeting of the Olympics taskforce putting together the potential bid on Thursday afternoon, along with a number of other stakeholders including south-east Queensland mayors.

The final assessment on whether the bid will be viable, and whether it will potentially include any events held across the ditch, is set to be made to state cabinet before Christmas.

Mr Coates said the AOC was firmly behind a Queensland bid, as opposed to any other Australian-based Olympic bid, as long as the state could make the logistics work.

“[The Premier] is quite correctly saying that she needs to look at the cost to Queensland, and that is what she needs to take to cabinet in December,” he said.

Australia’s Business And Sport Leaders Urge Queensland To Proceed With 2032 Olympic Bid

Posted on Dec 2, 2019 9:29 AM by Robert Livingstone in Featured, Future Summer Bids

A letter endorsed by 32 business and sport leaders in Australia’s Queensland has urged Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to continue moving forward with a 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid, as a decisive announcement looms this month.

The letter, penned by state capital Brisbane’s Mayor Adrian Schrinner, was prompted by rumours that some cabinet politicians are trying to push back against the bid amid pressure from unions that fear the costs and risks of the Games.

Some prominent bid boosters signing the letter include Rugby footballer and television commentator Darren Lockyer, Olympic Champion swimmer Duncan Armstrong, venue operator and AEG Ogden CEO Harvey Lister, cricketer Ian Healy and Australian construction mogul Scott Hutchinson.

They say stopping short of submitting a bid for the Games will be “the state’s biggest regret.”

“We are not talking about millions of dollars in investment – it’s billions,’’ Schrinner said said, according to the Sunday Mail.

“We are not talking about flow-on benefits for years – we are talking decades.

“You only need to look south to Sydney to see the positive lasting legacy of hosting an Olympics.’’

Organizers are expecting an International Olympic Committee (IOC) cash and in-kind gift of US $1.7 billion (AUD $2.5 billion) should Queensland be chosen to stage the Games, and that will help the event run deficit free and deliver a new 65,000 seat stadium to Brisbane.

An initial feasibility study revealed that 85 percent of the needed venues are already in place.

The Games are being viewed as a possible catalyst to much needed transport infrastructure upgrades in the region, and according to government reports the vent will result in a AUD $22 billion overall economic stimulus.

Earlier this year IOC Vice President John Coates, who also leads the Australian Olympic Committee, told organizers that he would only back a bid from Queensland if needed transport upgrades were already approved by the state.

Palaszczuk is expected to approve the bid this month with a formal application expected to be delivered to the IOC in the middle of next year.  Under new IOC rules introduced in June, a Future Host Commission will vet the application among those from other countries and determine which cities to recommend to the IOC Executive Boards and the IOC membership for a vote.  The exact timing is at the discretion of the IOC.

Currently considered the front runner, Australia was the first serious bid to leave the starting block when a delegation traveling to IOC headquarters in Lausanne met with President Thomas Bach earlier this year.  Continued speed will give the Queensland bid a significant competitive advantage.

A potential joint bid between North and South Korea has made diplomatic overtures during the past year but the project seems to have stalled as tensions on the Korean Peninsula continue to create uncertainty.

Indonesia has also hinted at bidding for the Games using the Jakarta-Palembang 2018 Asian Games as a springboard, but a recent decision to move the Capital to Borneo could create friction to move forward.

India is considering launching a bid from one of its major cities while Germany is proposing a regional project across several municipalities.

Queensland Push for 2032 Olympics

https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/queensland-push-for-olympics-2032

The Urban Developer.com, 2 December 2019

A collection of 32 prominent business and sports personalities have urged premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to commit to south-east Queensland's bid for the 2032 Olympics, which is due by the end of the month. 

The state government previously unveiled soft infrastructure plans and confirmed the bid would go beyond just Brisbane to involve other parts of the state.

In an attempt to fast track the process, Brisbane lord mayor Adrian Schrinner has written an open letter to the premier encouraging the bid in order to bring the “world’s most spectacular event” to the region.

The open letter is signed by business leaders such as Brisbane Airport Corporation chief executive Gert-Jan de Graff, Aria Property Group founder Tim Forrester, Hutchinson Builders chairman Scott Hutchinson as well as sporting figures Darren Lockyer, Ian Healy and Duncan Armstrong.

Schrinner explained that nearly 85 per cent of the proposed venues for Queensland's bid currently exist, pointing at the outlay of 2020's hosts, Tokyo, which is spending upwards of $37 billion on its own Olympic preparations.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and prime minister Scott Morrison are both on the Olympics taskforce that is putting together the potential bid, alongside Brisbane lord mayor Adrian Schrinner and Australian Olympic Committee boss John Coates.

“We are not talking flow on benefits for years—it will be decades—you only need to look south to Sydney to see the lasting positive legacies of hosting an Olympics Games,” Brisbane lord mayor Adrian Schrinner said.

“We are not talking about millions of dollars in investment—it’s billions.”

The government’s own research estimates more than $22 billion in flow-on benefits for Brisbane and the regions from staging the Olympics, while there will also be a direct cash injection of $2.7 billion by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) once selected as the host city.

Earlier this year, a new 80,000 seater stadium was proposed in alignment with the potential bid, sounding out Victoria Park golf course as the potential location. 

Parkland alongside Ballymore along with the Roma Street railyards, could also see $2 billion worth of redevelopment plans fast-tracked in order to create new sporting arenas, while Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba would be used for secondary sporting events.

“We believe that our state and region have more than adequately shown an ability to host major events and deliver results that far exceed the expectations of organisers and participants,” Schrinner said.

“We get to build and keep lasting infrastructure, gain world-wide attention and reap the economic benefits through tourism and investment for decades to come.”

The final assessment on whether the bid would be viable, and whether it would potentially include any events held across the ditch, is set to be made to state cabinet before the end of the year.

The decision by the International Olympic Committee would not need to be made public until 2025 with the bidding process normally placed by 2023, with China and Russia looming as the main rivals.

The initial bid will be assessed by the IOC executive committee, before finally being signed off by the more than one hundred IOC delegates.