Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

Olympics Unleashed renewed in Queensland with 100,000 students and counting

Author imageAOC  5 May 2021

Queensland Sport Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said Olympics Unleashed brought many benefits to schools across the state.

“It’s important for students to get involved in programs like Olympics Unleashed from a young age to encourage them make healthier choices and a life-long commitment to leading active lives,” Mr Hinchliffe said.  “Helping Queenslanders to be more active more of the time starts with getting involved in sport from a young age.

“With the possibility of a Queensland Olympic Games in 2032, it was inspiring to talk with students at Taigum State School about their ideas for the future.”

Credit:AOC - click to read more

How Brisbane almost lost out to Gold Coast as centre of attention for Olympics

Screen-Shot-2021-04-20-at-7.51.25-am.png A pedestrian plaza would link a refurbished Gabba stadium to South Bank and the Cross River Rail network (Pic: Supplied)

INSIGHTS 

Brisbane almost missed out to the Gold Coast as the centre of activities for the 2032 Olympics, reveals Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner.

Thankfully, common sense has prevailed and Brisbane’s Gabba will be at the heart of the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics Games, if our proposal to the International Olympic Committee is successful.

Wednesday May 05, 2021

By Adrian Schrinner / Lord Mayor of Brisbane

In Queensland - click to read full story

Australia sends Brisbane 2032 bid guarantees to IOC

April 28, 2021

Australia has sent the International Olympic Committee (IOC) funding guarantees for Brisbane's 2032 Games bid following confirmation of federal government support, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Tuesday.

Credit: Japan Today - click to read more

• Like 1

Funding lifeline for delayed Broadbeach to Burleigh light rail
By Lydia Lynch  May 7, 2021

The next stage of the Gold Coast light rail, linking Broadbeach and Burleigh, will secure a $126 million federal rescue package when the budget is handed down on Tuesday.

A contract dispute between the Queensland government and builders, John Holland Group, has triggered delays and a budget blowout on the light rail extension.

Stage three of the Gold Coast light rail has suffered a budget blow out an d construction delays.

Stage three of the Gold Coast light rail has suffered a budget blow out an d construction delays.

Credit: Brisbane Times - click to read full story

Cowboys open $40 million training centre

“The opening of the Cowboys’ High-Performance Centre is another important asset in the Palaszczuk Government’s continuing ‘targeted dialogue’ with the International Olympic Committee about Queensland as a potential host of 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

“It makes Townsville an attractive option for pre-Games training for competitors not only preparing for a possible 2032 Queensland Olympics, but also Paris in 2024 and the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.”   

7 May 2021

Credit: Queensland Government - click to read more

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS HIGH-PERFORMANCE TRAINING CENTRE OFFICIALLY OPENS

North Queensland Cowboys high-performance training centre officially opens
MAY 7, 2021

“The North Queensland Cowboys’ new $40 million high-performance training centre was today officially opened in Townsville, providing state-of-the-art sports medical and research facilities for the city and north Queensland.”

Credit: Australasian Leisure Management - click here to read more

Stage 3 of Gold Coast light rail back on track but at a huge cost 

by Matt McDonald  May 7, 2021 2:11

“The state and federal governments have been forced to cough up millions more in funding to get the stalled light rail extension to Burleigh up and running.”

“The extension is now not expected to be open until late 2024.”

Gold-Coast-Light-Rail-Stage-3-Proposed-B

PHOTO: Supplied

Gold-Coast-Light-Rail-Stage-3-Map-1030x5

Credit:  My GC.com.au - click here to read more

(Bruce Highway is the main road route from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast and where several Olympic venues will be located)

More Bruce Highway lanes on the way as massive road upgrade revs up

SUNSHINE COAST NEWS  6 MAY 2021

“The overall upgrade will involve widening the 11-kilometre section of Bruce Highway from a four-lanes to six-lanes divided carriageway. It will also replace 10 bridges over five creek crossings with wider and higher bridges.”

bruce-highway-six-lanes-696x357.jpg

The unique circumstances that have put us in the firing line for a history-making growth spurt

“The Sunshine Coast’s population is on an explosive new growth trajectory unlike any time or place in Australia’s history, a property analyst has revealed.”

Sunshine-Coast-News-Mooloolaba-main-Warr

Push for major upgrade to Cairns' Smithfield mountain bike trails

“Smithfield was the first mountain bike park in Australia and home to World Cups in 1995, 2014 and 2016, and the World Championships in 1996 and 2017.”

csm_mountain_bike_2df1cf7026.jpg Source: Ride North Queensland

By Annabel Bowles, Tropic Now journalist 

12/4/21

Credit: Tropic Now - click to read more

9 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Stage 3 of Gold Coast light rail back on track but at a huge cost 

by Matt McDonald  May 7, 2021 2:11

“The state and federal governments have been forced to cough up millions more in funding to get the stalled light rail extension to Burleigh up and running.”

“The extension is now not expected to be open until late 2024.”

The plan is to eventually link to the gold coast airport with a spur to metricon stadium. this should be done asap if the games go ahead

• Like 1

Saturday 8 May 2021:

John Coates answers reporter’s questions on the Brisbane Bid progress

Part of a media conference primarily about Tokyo 2020 but with reporter’s questions on Brisbane 2032 which starts at 12:45 mins into the media conference:

12:45 Reporter’s Question (inaudible)

12:58 John Coates:    We’re exclusively the preferred candidate.  The IOC has parked the other cities.  They (the IOC) didn’t even tell me who all the others were. I’ve read a bit.  But they’ve parked them and on 25 February they (IOC) said, 

“From what we’ve read, from what Australia and Brisbane have submitted, a feasibility (study) by the Mayors of South East Queensland, a Value Proposition Assessment by the Queensland Government, further work by the AOC with all the International Federations. ...   we then did a presentation, as did the other cities, on the 8th of February and we got the nod then for .. they said, right this Bid’s ready to go to Targeted Dialogue and that’s an exclusive thing. 

So the others have been parked.  If we fell over, they would have an opportunity again.  We’re just going through now, it’s a very very detailed due diligence and we’ve got to get through that.

14:05 Reporter’s Question (inaudible)

14:20 John Coates:    No, you can’t say that (laughing).   We’ve got a lot of work to do, you know, submission of documentation, guarantees. I don’t want to tell you how many questions we received early last week to answer on Friday night, so it’s a lot of work.

14:30 Reporter’s Question:  Is it possible they could vote on Brisbane?

14:34 John Coates:  I don’t want to speculate. I won’t speculate because we’ve got to come through the diligence, it has to go to the IOC Executive Board and they’ll decide.   And I’m out of it. Recused.

CREDIT: 7News Australia - click to view the media conference

Coates says Brisbane 2032 on "last lap" as IOC begins due diligence prior to awarding Games

Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) President John Coates says Brisbane 2032 is on the final lap, with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) conducting due diligence ahead of confirming the city as host of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Coates said confirmation of the funding, as well as the commitment to a shared governance model and an Olympic Infrastructure Authority, allowed Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to submit priority guarantees to IOC President Thomas Bach.

The AOC President said the IOC is now evaluating the project.

"IOC due diligence testing of every element of the Brisbane project is now underway," Coates said.

"If this diligence yields a positive final report, the proposal to host the Games in 2032 will go to a vote of the full IOC membership.

"Friends, this is the pathway for Brisbane to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032.

"And the reality is this: for Brisbane and Queensland, the bell for the last lap has rung.

"We have final hurdles to clear before the tape is breasted.”

(continues .... )

By Michael Pavitt   Saturday, 8 May 2021

Credit: Inside The Games - click to read full story

Olympics: Brisbane on the verge of securing 2032 Games

Brisbane, May 8: Brisbane is on verge of securing 2032 Olympic Games after Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) chief John Coates said that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is 'conducting due diligence ahead of confirming the city as host' of the quadrennial event.

Updated on : Saturday, May 8, 2021, 6:43 PM IST 

Dan Ryan Exclusive: Leeds Rhinos’ coach speaks on Netball’s future in the Olympics

“Speaking exclusively to GiveMeSport Women, the 36-year-old said he feels the best chance netball has on being an Olympic sport in the future is if Brisbane win the right to host the 2032 Games.”

“Well, I think netball's one and only chance to break into the Olympics will be if Brisbane gets the rights for 2032,” he said.”

By Aiden Beswick  07/05/2

Credit: Give Me Sport - click here to read full story

due to kids sport and family business i did alot of driving all over Brisbane this weekend including in the CBD and there was nothing to indicate we are close to getting 2032  - no "bid city" flags on light poles or anything. I would expect though that should we be awarded the games in July the rings will go up quickly

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

due to kids sport and family business i did alot of driving all over Brisbane this weekend including in the CBD and there was nothing to indicate we are close to getting 2032  - no "bid city" flags on light poles or anything. I would expect though that should we be awarded the games in July the rings will go up quickly

Yes I think that you might start to see some Olympic symbols or banners starting to appear after the final vote if it goes our way which it should.

Did you also mean the style of the massive big rings as was on Sydney Harbour Bridge in 2000?

Those might not appear for a while yet, probably around 2031-2032 (?). My guess is the Storey Bridge whenever they go up.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes I think that you might start to see some Olympic symbols or banners starting to appear after the final vote if it goes our way which it should.

Did you also mean the style of the massive big rings as was on Sydney Harbour Bridge in 2000?

Those might not appear for a while yet, probably around 2031-2032 (?). My guess is the Storey Bridge whenever they go up.

i was thinking more of this sort of thing:

5576a10821c59e6b397c455b62cfde49.jpg

which i see around for the Brisbane Lions and Broncos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

My guess is the Storey Bridge whenever they go up.

i would think so as well - i also suspect we might see some quickly on the end of the brisbane sign at southbank - perhaps the first place we might see them

800px-The_Brisbane_sign_in_South_Bank_Pa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

i was thinking more of this sort of thing:

5576a10821c59e6b397c455b62cfde49.jpg

which i see around for the Brisbane Lions and Broncos

Could be a while for that as they don’t yet have a logo. Once the Games are awarded, then it should not be too long a wait for an official logo to emerge which would then go on all Banners, Flags, merchandise. I should think they will want to have this done reasonably quickly to maximise revenue from merchandise sales.

Usually there is a ‘candidate city logo’ during the bidding phase which is then superseded with a new updated whiz bang Logo some time after the Host City contract is signed.

But in Brisbane’s case, being the first Summer Games to be awarded under the new rules, there is no logo at all so far.  But not a concern.

On of the key decisions they will also need to announce once we’ve won the Games is what will the Games ‘be known’ ?

Will the Games Organising Committee want the 2032 Games to be known as:

Brisbane 2032  ?

Brisbane/SEQ 2032 ?

SEQ 2032 ?

Queensland 2032 ?

South East Queensland 2032 ?

etc etc

58 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Could be a while for that as they don’t yet have a logo. Once the Games are awarded, then it should not be too long a wait for an official logo to emerge which would then go on all Banners, Flags, merchandise. I should think they will want to have this done reasonably quickly to maximise revenue from merchandise sales.

Usually there is a ‘candidate city logo’ during the bidding phase which is then superseded with a new updated whiz bang Logo some time after the Host City contract is signed.

But in Brisbane’s case, being the first Summer Games to be awarded under the new rules, there is no logo at all so far.  But not a concern.

On of the key decisions they will also need to announce once we’ve won the Games is what will the Games ‘be known’ ?

Brisbane 2032  ?

Brisbane/SEQ 2032 ?

SEQ 2032 ?

Queensland 2032 ?

etc etc

Just Brisbane would be best.

30 minutes ago, ulu said:

It would be the simplest solution, but the South East Queensland mayors might have a view on this as they were the impetus behind this Bid with their Feasability Study.

Bids covering  several regions can be tricky to name but Milano-Cortina 2026 have managed it.

Whether the state government wants to include ‘Queensland’ in the title somehow to share the love and ‘ownership’ remains to be seen I guess.

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane 2032  ?

Brisbane/SEQ 2032 ?

SEQ 2032 ?

Queensland 2032 ?

etc etc

1 hour ago, ulu said:

SEQ is a meaningless initialism outside of Australia. Either of Brisbane 2032 or Queensland 2032 would be fine, depending on whether you want to go the traditional route or emphasis the regional nature of these Games.

As for the logo, it's normally the case that it's unveiled 5 years prior to the Games, in the non-Olympic year before the preceding Games. I guess from the IOC's point of view it means they've not got a plethora of logos to be dealing with at any one time - there will only ever be a maximum of three 'in the wild' as it were. So that would put Brisbane on schedule for a 2027 unveiling.

LA28 has bucked this trend, however. So I guess we'll see if that was an anomaly of the start of a more relaxed attitude to the timing of logo launches from the IOC.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 2