Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

21 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Have to constantly remind myself this figure is in Ozzie dollars. :lol: That seems to be a reasonable price tag for that size stadium.

But Mr O’Brien said the federal government did not yet have a view about the Gabba as an Olympic venue.

“I have no in-principle opposition to the notion of using the Gabba, but I have not seen the designs and the state proposed a $1 billion price tag last week without a business case,” he said.

“This needs to be done differently if we are going to make the Olympics work.”

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the Olympic infrastructure authority would “take the politics” out of announcements.

So the previous announcement that the Gabba was going to be the venue for athletics and ceremonies isn't actually settled?  It did seem a bit sudden.

They want to be a bit careful here. I'm not saying Brisbane 2032 is at Durban 2022 levels of making promises nobody thought to run by the people holding the purse strings, but it does look like there are parallel streams developing.

Edited by Rob.

9 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Have to constantly remind myself this figure is in Ozzie dollars. :lol: That seems to be a reasonable price tag for that size stadium.

But Mr O’Brien said the federal government did not yet have a view about the Gabba as an Olympic venue.

“I have no in-principle opposition to the notion of using the Gabba, but I have not seen the designs and the state proposed a $1 billion price tag last week without a business case,” he said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the Olympic infrastructure authority would “take the politics” out of announcements.

So the previous announcement that the Gabba was going to be the venue for athletics and ceremonies isn't actually settled?  It did seem a bit sudden.

They want to be a bit careful here. I'm not saying Brisbane 2032 is at Durban 2022 levels of making promises nobody thought to run by the people holding the purse strings, but it does look like there are parallel streams developing.

It's just replacing the Albion stadium proposal of a similar price tag. The better thing about the Gabba proposal is it will already have tenants (cricket and AFL), while the Albion stadium had a big risk of being a white elephant, and it's close to the CBD and transport. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ulu said:

It's just replacing the Albion stadium proposal of a similar price tag. The better thing about the Gabba proposal is it will already have tenants (cricket and AFL), while the Albion stadium had a big risk of being a white elephant, and it's close to the CBD and transport. 

I agree, the new Gabba Stadium is central and on top of a rail line when the river tunnel is complete, and for the same cost of a new stadium at Albion with no train line.

The Australian Government themselves would love to have made the Gabba stadium announcement themselves, instead of the Queensland Government.

This is just a political speedbump and both governments will get their support behind this new Olympic infrastructure delivery authority and get this stadium done.

Federal government agrees to pay half of Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games

27 April 2021

Excerpt from 7 News report: 

“(Prime Minister) Morrison said the Queensland government must agree to a jointly owned, funded and run Olympic Infrastructure Agency to give the federal government an equal say in planning what he called “the People’s Games.”

“All levels of government must work together and take the politics out of each decision.”

“Our offer is for a genuine partnership, with shared costs and shared responsibilities, working together to make this the best Olympics on record.”

Credit: 7 News - click to read full report

10 hours ago, Rob. said:

The Australian and Queensland Governments are both members of the Bid’s Candidature Leadership Group with the Australian Prime Minister very prominent.  

However, the purse strings are not held only by the Australian Government, but are held equally between the Queensland and Australian Governments - hence this 50/50 funding split.

With the final vote to award the Games looming this July, there’s no sign of both Governments not cooperating, continuing as a united Candidature Leadership Group and supporting the PM’s proposed Olympic infrastructure delivery authority, which will include the new Gabba Olympic Stadium.

8 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

With the final vote to award the Games looming this July, there’s no sign of both Governments not cooperating, continuing as a united Candidature Leadership Group and supporting the PM’s proposed Olympic infrastructure delivery authority, which will include the new Gabba Olympic Stadium.

from a purely political standpoint the feds have a lot to lose if they get in the way. there is a federal election due by september next year (talk is it will be the 2nd half of this year) and queensland is really the pivotal state

• Like 1

'We must keep our character': no plans for highrise along transport spine

The (Sunshine Coast) council this week released its Options Analysis Paper for a mass transit system, which investigates five public transport options from Maroochydore to Kawana, including electric buses, light rail and trams.

By KAT DONAGHEY  30 APRIL 2021

New deputy mayor, Ipswich backs 2032 Olympics bid and farewell to old transit centre

On April's Over The Back Fence: A new Ipswich deputy mayor for the next 12 months, Ipswich in boots and all to support the Olympics bid for 2032, the old Ipswich Transit Centre finally on the market,

Apr 29, 2021

Credit:  Sound Cloud - click here to learn more

Games to be Olympic gold for homeowners

by Darren Cartwright      1st May 2021

Downsizers Peter and Michele Jones know they could be sitting on a potential gold mine if Brisbane hosts the Games but at this stage of their life they're looking for a sea change.

Their immaculately presented home sits just 300m from the Gabba, earmarked for a $1 billion upgrade if Brisbane hosts the 2032 Games.

The Gabba precinct is expected to become a property gold mine if Brisbane wins the right to host the 2032 Games. Picture: Supplied / Ray White
The Gabba precinct is expected to become a property gold mine if Brisbane wins the right to host the 2032 Games. Picture: Supplied / Ray White

Ipswich City Council backs SEQ proposal for 2032 Games

North-Ippy-stadium.png

Darrell Giles          April 17, 2021

Ipswich City Council has formally backed the proposal to secure the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games in South-East Queensland, advancing Ipswich’s role as a proposed host city.

Credit: Ipswich First - click here to read more

Above:    Artist impression of proposed stadium at North Ipswich Reserve

Mayor: Bundaberg ideal for Olympics

Rowing Mayor Jack Dempsey said the region would be an ideal Olympic venue for rowing, triathlon and sailing. Picture: Bundaberg Rowing Club.

The Mayor said Bundaberg was well placed to benefit if the bid is officially approved.

“I certainly believe we’d provide an ideal venue for rowing, triathlon and sailing.

“A new regional aquatic centre would also enable swimming teams to train at Bundaberg in the lead-up to the Games.”

By Megan Dean   24 February 2021

Credit: Bundaberg News - click here to read more

i was listening to the ABC yesterday and they were talking about the border closures we currently have with india, and the host commented "we should have this sorted by the Brisbane 2032 games"

The media here are already talking like it's confirmed (which it all but is)

7 hours ago, Tejas57 said:

i was listening to the ABC yesterday and they were talking about the border closures we currently have with india, and the host commented "we should have this sorted by the Brisbane 2032 games"

Not the most tasteful comment in the circumstances :o

People mover vehicles to transport athletes to Gabba Olympic Stadium 

The warm up track and main stadium will be connected by a 850 metre purpose built covered walkway. The Athletes will be transported by golf buggies along the walkway. As reported by the Courier Mail.
No Athletes will need to walk.”

- - - - - - -

Similar quiet electric people mover vehicles are currently widely used to transport people within airport terminal buildings.

3 May 2021 

Credit: Blog from SkyscraperCity.com

Racing Queensland wants to be involved in the 2032 Olympics should Brisbane win the rights

Racing Queensland CEO Brendan Parnell is keen to seize the moment and for racing to capitalise on the high likelihood the 2032 Olympics will be staged in Brisbane. 

With Brisbane in the box seat to secure the Olympics, Parnell wants to leave no stone unturned in trying to maximise the opportunities for racing.

It could involve hosting an Olympic sport on the infield of one of its premier tracks – you would think equestrian could be a good fit – or leveraging opportunities for Olympic infrastructure.

By Ben Dorries   4 May 2021

Credit: The Mercury - click to read more

Transurban hopes to hitch ride on Biden’s road building spree

“Sydney’s planned Western Harbour Tunnel was another opportunity, while a successful bid by Brisbane to host the 2032 Summer Olympic would spark a major building spree.”

By Patrick Hatch   May 3, 2021 

Credit: Brisbane Times - click to read more

23 minutes ago, Tejas57 said:

just as an interesting tidbit.

Should Brisbane get the games, Australia will be the first country to host 3 games at 3 different cities

Interesting. That’s a good question in coming years too for quiz nights or the trivial pursuit board game.

It’s interesting too that by 2028, a country the size of USA will have hosted 3 Summer Olympic Games in one city, Los Angeles.

Also one each in Atlanta and St Louis.

Does Australia’s ‘preferred’ status for 2032 Olympics affect Utah’s hopes for another Games?

SALT LAKE CITY — International Olympic Committee leaders named Brisbane, Australia, its preferred bid for the 2032 Summer Games this week, but there was no talk about Salt Lake City or other places pursuing the Winter Games in 2030.

By Lisa Riley Roche   February 27, 2021

Credit: Deseret News - click to read more

Brisbane homeowners to make hundreds of thousands of dollars if the city hosts the Games

capi_8a1af890191eedc5d54c77922a31d5b9_22

An artist impression of the proposed Gabba redevelopment if Brisbane won the rights to the 2032 Olympic Games. Picture: Supplied

Brisbane homeowners are in line for a $200,000 Olympic bonus if the city is awarded the 2032 Games.

Experts predict the median house price across Greater Brisbane is expected to soar past $1.2 million within a decade or 40 per cent above the 10-year average.

By Darren Cartwright   5 May 2021

Credit: realestate.com.au - click to read more

World-class winter training facility opens in Brisbane

The Morrison Government has welcomed the opening of a world-class winter training facility in Brisbane.

Minister for Sport, Richard Colbeck, said the Geoff Henke Olympic Winter Training Centre – the Southern Hemisphere’s only all-year outdoor water ski ramp – would elevate the aspirations of athletes for generations to come.

MAY 5, 2021

Credit: Mirage News - click to read more

8 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane homeowners to make hundreds of thousands of dollars if the city hosts the Games

capi_8a1af890191eedc5d54c77922a31d5b9_22

An artist impression of the proposed Gabba redevelopment if Brisbane won the rights to the 2032 Olympic Games. Picture: Supplied

Brisbane homeowners are in line for a $200,000 Olympic bonus if the city is awarded the 2032 Games.

Experts predict the median house price across Greater Brisbane is expected to soar past $1.2 million within a decade or 40 per cent above the 10-year average.

By Darren Cartwright   5 May 2021

Credit: realestate.com.au - click to read more

Disgusting.