Brisbane 2032

AustralianFan

Toowoomba firms Wagner, McNab ready to cash in in 2032 Olympic Games bid

The Olympic Games is looking likely to come to Brisbane, and that could mean a big payday for Toowoomba’s biggest companies.

By Tom Gillespie

April 22, 2021

Toowoomba’s largest construction firms are gearing up to grab a slice of the billions of dollars in infrastructure work that would needed for the Brisbane Olympic Games.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk revealed this week the State Government’s facility upgrade plan ahead of a likely 2032 Olympic bid, headlined by a $1b redevelopment of the Gabba as the primary games stadium.

Sporting, community and transport facilities will also have to be upgraded as well to cater for thousands of athletes and potentially millions of spectators.

This is music to the ears of companies like Wagners and McNab Constructions, which have welcomed the announcement and hoped to be part of the action.

Credit: The Chronicle - click to open

Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio confident in Games bid after meeting with Australian Olympic Committee CEO

Toowoomba is hoping to host events or teams at a successful Olympic Games bid in 2032, and it’s been boosted by a high-profile visit.

Toowoomba mayor Paul Antonio says a recent meeting with the CEO of the Australian Olympic Committee has helped put the city in the box seat to be involved in the potential 2032 Games in Brisbane.

Cr Antonio and the councillors met with AOC chief executive Matt Carroll on Tuesday, before enjoying a dinner with some of Toowoomba’s leading stakeholders to discuss the city’s involvement in the bid.

By Tom Gillespie    April 22, 2021

The Chronicle - click to open

Fly-through video from Gabba Cross River Rail Station

Credit: Brisbane Development - Youtube video - click to see more

————————————————————

Also, the following link looks at the construction progress of the station box of the Gabba Cross River Rail station as at November 2020:

Credit: Mark Bailey MP - Facebook post

Location of Gabba Athletics

Warm-up Track

Circled in blue in this image is the location of the Raymond Park athletics warm-up track. The green line is the route of the covered walkway aling Duke Street for athletes to get to the Gabba Olympic Stadium:

2032-Location-of-Warm-up-Track-in-Raymon

In this Googlemaps screenshot, the blue line is the route of the covered walkway aling Duke Street for athletes to get from the warm-up track in Raymond Park to the Gabba Olympic Stadium:

B89-A02-BB-A802-4-E8-B-B199-AA91504-ABAD

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I fear we might see the Feds stuff this up. Cmon ScoMo! Commit!!!!

I have a feeling they’ll come on board with this as members of the Bid’s Candidature Leadership Group. The PM has been very prominent in the Bid so this announcement may just need a bit of time for analysis by the Australian Government before a formal commitment is publicly made. 

I think also the rival Bids shouldn’t get too excited either as this a small speedbump and all indications are is that the Bid remains on track for the final vote in July.

55 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

I have a feeling they’ll come on board with this as members of the Bid’s Candidature Leadership Group. The PM has been very prominent in the Bid so this announcement may just need a bit of time for analysis by the Australian Government before a formal commitment is publicly made. 

I think also the rival Bids shouldn’t get too excited either as this a small speedbump and all indications are is that the Bid remains on track for the final vote in July.

people need to remember Scott Morrisons background is in marketing, and there is no better marketing opportunity than the billions of eyes the olympcs brings to a city. he will be on board

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

Could someone outline the options for the athletics and ceremonies stadium(s) with images and the pros and cons of each?

This week it was announced by the Queensland Premier that the Opening/Closing Ceremonies and Athletics will be held at the new Gabba Olympic Stadium.

The existing Gabba stadium is going to be demolished and a new stadium will rise in it’s place.

Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast is no longer in the frame for the Athletics competition as it was prior to this week’s announcement.

The Gabba was always going to host the Ceremonies, only now it will be Gabba 2.0

On 4/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, ulu said:

I must have missed our referendum. 

You didn’t miss it.   There isn’t any bigger referendum than the recent Queensland State Election which the pro-Olympic Bid State Government won in a landslide with an increased majority.

That’s all the IOC needed. 

The anti-Olympics Party, OneNation won only 1 seat.

‘Save our Gabba’: 2032 Olympics threaten to kill off Brisbane icon

A campaign has begun to save the Gabba’s iconic cricket pitch with its days numbered if Brisbane wins the hosting rights for the 2032 Olympic Games as expected.

Brisbane Heat coach Darren Lehmann supports the Brisbane bid on the proviso they don’t touch the pitch where Australia has a formidable record.

22/04/2021

7 News - click to read more

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

This week it was announced by the Queensland Premier that the Opening/Closing Ceremonies and Athletics will be held at the new Gabba Olympic Stadium.

Cheers. I know the New Gabba is set for the ceremonies. I was under the impression the athletics venue was still undecided with the New Gabba one of the possibilities, that's why I asked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

Cheers. I know the New Gabba is set for the ceremonies. I was under the impression the athletics venue was still undecided with the New Gabba one of the possibilities, that's why I asked.

It surprised me too re this week’s sudden announcement that the Gabba will now also be the athletics venue.

Previously, redevelopment of the Gabba was not on the cards and it was only to be used as is for ceremonies, not athletics.

Then I realised that this announcement was not a redevelopment of the Gabba but a total demolition - followed by construction of a new raised Olympic Stadium on the site of the old Gabba.

It makes perfect sense:

- very central to Brisbane

- much more accessible than previous athletics option by bus at Carrara Stadium on Gold Coast or new stadium at Albion

- train station at the new Gabba stadium

- cross river rail tunnel near by

- new pedestrian plaza to the train station

- athletics warm-up track to be installed 400 metres away in Raymond Park

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

You didn’t miss it.   There isn’t any bigger referendum than the recent Queensland State Election which the pro-Olympic Bid State Government won in a landslide with an increased majority.

That’s all the IOC needed. 

The anti-Olympics Party, OneNation won only 1 seat.

You already replied to that.

https://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/28241-brisbane-2032/?do=findComment&comment=536169

7 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

- much more accessible than previous athletics option by bus at Carrara Stadium on Gold Coast or new stadium at Albion

- train station at the new Gabba stadium

- cross river rail tunnel near by

- new pedestrian plaza to the train station

when the talk of the stadium at albion started i was suprised. it felt like a waste of money as the main reason cross river rail was going there was due to the stadium and it would have been a waste to not use the Gabba

I hope when they re-build they put a bus plaza underneath the stadium (same as what Suncorp has) or at the minimum link it easily to the new raised pedestrian plaza (i think this is more likley as they won;t want a ton of busses crossing main street)

• Like 1

Brisbane City Centre Future Under Scrutiny

An interim report outlining how to lure people back to Brisbane's heart is being prepared ahead of a master plan for the city centre.

The master plan is expected to influence planning in Queensland’s capital beyond the 2032 Olympics.

22 April 2021

Credit: The Urban Developer - click to read more

SUNSHINE COAST STADIUM STAKEHOLDERS PUSH FOR UPGRADE FUNDING IN FEDERAL BUDGET

With only a couple of weeks remaining until the Federal Government delivers its next budget, Sunshine Coast Council and supporters of the upgrade of Sunshine Coast Stadium remain hopeful funding will be allocated for the expansion of the venue.

APRIL 23, 2021

Credit: Australasian Leisure Management - click to read more

Sunshine_Coast_Stadium_2020_expansion.jp

Inside working class Woolloongabba’s push to host the Olympics

For many Queenslanders, two words can bring feelings of state pride, forged on sacred sporting ground, rushing forward.

“The Gabba.”

One of Brisbane’s two great temples of sport, it was announced last week the Gabba would be completely redeveloped at a cost of $1 billion as the main stadium for Brisbane’s 2032 Summer Olympics, should the bid be successful.

By Tony Moore       April 24, 2021

Brisbane Times - click to read more

How hockey can help football share the Brisbane Olympic spoils

April 24, 2021  By Cameron Atfield

Credit: Brisbane Times - click to read more

Journalist

News that the Gabba would be completely transformed for the 2032 Olympics was great news for Brisbane sports fans, but for some, the announcement came with a significant feeling of deja vu.

Should Brisbane’s bid for the Games be successful — and there is every indication that it will be — the Gabba will feature as an Olympic venue for the second time. And it will be the second time AFL and cricket will be the long-term beneficiaries of new infrastructure ostensibly built for other sports.

The Brisbane Strikers planned a 15,000-seat stadium at Perry Park when the club was preparing its failed A-League bid.

Gold Coasters safe from rate increase for 2032 Olympics 

April 22, 2021 6:31 am in Gold Coast, by Monique StClair

Gold Coasters are being assured they won’t be asked to pay for Queensland’s commitment to the 2032 Olympics.

The city has confirmed that there won’t be any special levies or charges if the state government is to lock in the major event.

Instead, the city will be able to offer a number of venues for events to be held at.

Credit:  My GC - click to learn more