3 hours ago, yoshi said:

So just how long would this phase last - if done today, would that mean the IOC would be able to do the final deal at the session that'll be attached to the Tokyo Games (hopefully)? And does the whole arrangement all but guarantee John Coates as Bach's successor in 2025 as well?

Absolutely, the full Session of the IOC scheduled just before the Tokyo Games could well now lock in and sign up the Queensland Bid to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

As for the IOC Presidency, John Coates’ tenure as Vice-President of the International Olympic Committee co-incides with his final 4 years as an IOC Member, according to the Australian Olympic Committee website.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i believe i read somewhere (and i can not find it now) that the bid docs have been submitted to the IOC. now we wait for July

Coates plans to retire from AOC, wants to oversee Brisbane Games By Aaron Patrick on Mar 19, 2021 – 3.43pm The IOC has selected Brisbane as the preferred candidate for the 2032 G

theres already a ton of infrastructure going in anyway - Cross River Rail, Brisbane Metro, Queens Wharf for starters. This is stuff we already need and was being done. The good thing about my city hos

IOC Executive Board Approves ‘Targeted Dialogue’  for South Eastern Queensland Bid for 2032 Games

24 February 2021

IOC HQ - Lausanne, Switzerland

The IOC President Thomas Bach has just announced that the IOC Executive Board has approved the South East Queensland Bid to enter into Targeted Dialogue with the IOC as the preferred Bidder for the 35th Olympiad, being the 2032 Summer and Paralympic Games.

24 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Most important news: Even the IOC President cannot get an illegal haircut during lockdown.

Yes, he and the journalist shared their long hair stories in a light hearted moment with Thomas Bach saying he has a hair cut scheduled for Monday.

If Australia 2032 I cant see anywhere els than Europe in 2036. 2040 could then, if the time goes rigt be Africa og South America. 

And Europe 2036 i can only dream and hope of regional bid with Copenhagen, and the whole "Øresundsregionen" with Malmö as the other big part! The whole region is close to 4 million inhabitants. Well a man can dream :)

But I am sure that Brisbane will du a great games! 

Is there any chance of Brisbane not winning the rights at this point? Not hoping they do lose it, just wondering whether this decision is effectively the awarding right now. Difficult to know where 2036 would go in Europe, I guess Madrid and Budapest go in as most likely to try, but it'd be good to see the Ruhr go again, maybe even a national bid from the Netherlands if the IOC are truly flexible. 

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Is there any chance of Brisbane not winning the rights at this point? Not hoping they do lose it, just wondering whether this decision is effectively the awarding right now. Difficult to know where 2036 would go in Europe, I guess Madrid and Budapest go in as most likely to try, but it'd be good to see the Ruhr go again, maybe even a national bid from the Netherlands if the IOC are truly flexible. 

I'm not keen on the idea of having a Germany 36 again...also, the Ruhr organisers  made complete fools of themselves today organising some kind of event to promote their bid and totally unaware what was going on at the IOC at the same time. They stubbornly claimed they will continue with that bid, but it's obviously hopeless. Maybe in a couple of years the political and social landscape is different and a bid will be seen more favourably here, but certainly not right now with the IOC making total fools of themselves with Tokyo and Beijing.

I can also very well imagine they'll stay away from Europe in 2036 if they get somehow a dream bid from Africa (yeah right) or a Middle Eastern cash cow.

4 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Is there any chance of Brisbane not winning the rights at this point?

I would think the odds of Brisbane 2032 not going ahead are in single percentages. There's still things to work out, but given the fact we (and i say this as a brisbanite, but not involved in the bid) have all 3 levels of government on board i would think it is almost in the bag.

I would use the analogy of the bid process being a 400 m race. Brisbane is at the 300 m mark and 20 m in front, but can still be overtaken

24 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

if the time goes rigt be Africa og South America. 

I can't see africa getitng it soon after the Durban Comm games debacle given south africa is the only realistic host of the games in SA

• Like 1

Brisbane is exactly the sort of city that could get a lot out of the games. Indeed, might even need something like the games in order to make the next step up. No, it’s certainly not a “great” city. Not even, IMO, a particularly nice city. But it’s always been aspirational, and the SE Queensland region as a whole is sure enough pretty pleasant. An Olympics is exactly the kind of thing it needs to grow out of its mediocre, big country town reputation.

it’s certainly good for Australian sport. We should likely start to see some funding come back and hopefully regain some of those glory years we enjoyed between Sydney and Athens, before Canberra tightened the funding belt and the Brits started throwing lottery money at their sports and stole our thunder.

Do they still do the Golden Casket lottery up in Queensland?

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane is a world class city

It's a hick redneck (Hi Pauline!) town, far from a world class city

When you look at the list of Olympic host cities

Atlanta and now Brisbane stick out like sore thumbs

John Coates has called in 50 years of corrupt favours, the only winner out of this is the AOC bank balance as I'm sure he'll screw Brisbane like he did Sydney funnelling money off into the AOC's coffers

27 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

as a Brisbaneite i find this offensive. sure we may not have the profile of Sydney or Paris, but we are a modern city with good infrastructure. The Hi Pauline is not needed - Hanson does not speak for me or many queenslanders.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

It’s quite clear that you have not visited Brisbane recently, or ever, and prefer to throw mud and lies from behind your keyboard and hope it sticks (Hi Donald!)

Or is it another inferiority complex about Brisbane? Or just a tall poppy to be smacked down because you are stuck in the past?

I visited Brisbane in the early 90s then again in December 2020.

I was gobsmacked at the difference.

Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are stunning, right now.

The stunning central Brisbane River boardwalk with restaurants and bars and the South Bank on the opposite side  of the river are smack bang in the CBD.

Stunning more infrastructure built and being Bukit ...,Cross  River Rail, Queens Wharf Development, new Runway at airport, new Cruise Shio terminal.... the list goes on

• Thanks 1

Sh-tting on Queensland is a favourite pastime for some Australians from further south and this more often than not has political motivations (see this guy bringing up Pauline Hanson).

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

When you look at the list of Olympic host cities

Atlanta and now Brisbane stick out like sore thumbs

John Coates has called in 50 years of corrupt favours, the only winner out of this is the AOC bank balance as I'm sure he'll screw Brisbane like he did Sydney funnelling money off into the AOC's coffers

This comment is so far off ... shameful

Happy for Brisbane and for Australia as a whole.  They are going to make very good hosts.  

In the words of Kevin Pietersen .... Brisbane is a "dump"

Laughable that this place will become an Olympic host ... scraping the bottom of the barrel is the IOC

Didn't the IOC watch the embarrassment that were the GC2018 ceremonies? QLD (and the Gold Coast is) tackiness personified

Time the IOC bit the bullet and allowed countries/multiple cities to bid rather than cities

A Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne hosting triangle should host in 2032

7 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Time the IOC bit the bullet and allowed countries/multiple cities to bid rather than cities

A Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne hosting triangle should host in 2032

Your idea is dead even if multiple cities could host because NBC won't allow the Olympics to move out of northern hemisphere summer and only Brisbane of those three has the climate to host during winter.

In all seriousness, Brisbane is the kind of place the IOC desperately needs. 2 million-ish so a lot smaller than recent hosts (but there are a LOT of cities in that population bracket, especially in Europe), seemingly with a lot going for it and potential, but as Rols says, maybe needing something to push it into that top tier. Reading a bit about the place and the broad plans, it strikes me that (as long as they keep Peter Beattie as far from the ceremonies as possible) this could actually be more like a new Barcelona than Atlanta. And if it works and shows that cities that size can do the job, maybe Europe's next host city might be a Vienna or a Copenhagen or a Stockholm-sized one. Maybe Manchester could be tempted in the 40/50s. 

One of Brisbane's great assets is the Gold and Sunshine Coasts (Australia's Florida/ Holiday Getaway) ...... gives an enormous amount of available rental accommodation in addition to Brisbane.

The tram/ train network between Brisbane and Gold Coast will be completed and fully interconnected by 2032, and is already working well with the Comm Games extensions.

They have facilities galore - 2 Aquatic Centres, about 4 stadiums (none of them 'great' though), a new velodrome, miles of ocean front for swimming/triathlon/ walks/ cycling and marathons etc...

https://stillmedab.olympic.org/media/Document%20Library/OlympicOrg/News/2021/02/IOC-Feasibility-Assessment-Brisbane.pdf 

Venues

BRISBANE

Brisbane Olympic Stadium- 50,000 (Athletics, Track and Field) NEW

Brisbane Arena- 15,000 (Swimming, Water Polo) NEW

Brisbane Aquatics Centre- 4,500 (Diving, Artistic Swimming, Water Polo) Existing- Upgrade

Southbank Cultural Forecourt- 4,000 (Archery) Temporary

Brisbane Indoor Sports Centre- 15,000 (Basketball) New

Southbank Piazzy 4,500 (3X3 Basketball) Existing

Anna Meares Velodrome- 5,000 (Track, BMX Cycling) Existing

Victoria Park- 5,000/25,000 (BMX Freestyle, Cross Country Equestrian) Temporary

Brisbane Showgrounds- 15,000 (Equestrian) Existing

Suncorp Stadium- 52,000 (Football Finals/Rugby Sevens) Existing

Chandler Indoor Sports Complex- 10,000 (Gymnastics) New

Ballymore Stadium- 5,000 (Hockey) Existing with permanent works

Brisbane International Shooting Centre- 2,000 (Shooting) Existing

Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre- 6,000 (Table Tennis, Fencing, Taekwondo, Badminton) Existing

Nissan Arena- 6,000 (Boxing) Existing

Redland Whitewater Centre- 8,000 (Canoe) New

Brisbane Entertainment Centre- 11,000 (Handball) Existing

Ipswich Stadium- 20,000 (Modern Pentathlon/Football) Existing

Larapinta Flatwater Centre- 14,000 (Rowing/Canoe) New

Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron- 10,000 (Sailing) New

Queensland Tennis Centre- 6,000 (Tennis) Existing

GOLD COAST

Broadbeach Park Stadium- 12,000 (Beach Volleyball) Temporary

Royal Pines Resort- 15,000 (Golf) Existing

Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre- 7,500 (Judo/Wrestling) Existing

Broadwater Parklands- 5,000 (Triathlon/Marathon) Temporary 

Coomera Indoor Sports Centre- 11,000 (Volleyball) Existing

Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre- 6,000 (Volleyball/Weightlifting) Existing

Robina Stadium- 27,400 (Football) Existing

SUNSHINE COAST/WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS

Sunshine Coast Convention and Entertainment Centre- 6,000 (Basketball) Existing

Alexandrea Headland- 5,000 (Road Marathon, Race Walking, Kiteboarding Sailing) Temporary

Sunshine Coast Mountain Bike Park- 10,000 (Mountain Bike) Existing

Sunshine Coast Stadium- 20,000 (Football) Existing

Whitesunday Islands- 2,000 (Keelboat Sailing) Existing

OTHER

Toowoomba Sports Ground- 20,000 (Football) Existing)

North Queensland Stadium 25,000 (Football) Existing)

Barlow Park- 20,000 (Football) Existing

Sydney Football Stadium- 42,500 (Football) Existing

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium- 30,000 (Football) Existing

In terms of the sport that the host nation selects, I think it will be between Cricket and Netball. Thoughts?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ulu said:

Your idea is dead even if multiple cities could host because NBC won't allow the Olympics to move out of northern hemisphere summer and only Brisbane of those three has the climate to host during winter.

Can be easily done

Brisbane - host outdoor events

Sydney & Melbourne - host indoor events

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Can be easily done

Brisbane - host outdoor events

Sydney & Melbourne - host indoor events

and let it be stated ... that the IOC's own report suggests using existing venues in Sydney so will most likely end up a multi-city hosting

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

and let it be stated ... that the IOC's own report suggests using existing venues in Sydney so will most likely end up a multi-city hosting

It’s possible that the International Regatta Centre/Whitewater Stadium in Penrith, Sydney, “may” be used for rowing, canoe etc, but that’s it. No other sports in NSW.

If Penrith is used for rowing/canoeing/whitewater events, it will simply be a Brisbane 2032 venue located in NSW.

Similar to Paris 2024 where the venue for surfing events will be held half way around the world in Tahiti but under the Paris 2024 banner.

There will not be multi-city Hosting of the 2032 Games.

It’s not up for negotiation, this is a done deal in that regard.

80-90% of the Venues already exist in Queensland.  This fact is what the 2032 Bid is built on.

The Brisbane/South East Queensland  Bid is highly advanced and there is no change of ‘Host City’ at this late stage, to Sydney or any other city.   That boat has  well and truly sailed.

This 2032 Bid is based in Brisbane and spread across venues spread across South East Queensland and possibly just one venue in NSW (Penrith).

The Host City will be Brisbane.