Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Olympics: Australian PM, IOC chief discuss Brisbane bid

Credit/Source:  Reuters

NOVEMBER 17, 2020 6.17pm

 

TOKYO (Reuters) - Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison met with International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach in Tokyo on Tuesday to discuss next year’s postponed Olympics in the Japanese capital and Brisbane’s bid to host the 2032 Games.

Morrison and Bach are both in Tokyo this week and used the opportunity to meet, alongside IOC member and Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) President John Coates.

In a video posted on the AOC Twitter page, Coates said Morrison had expressed his “full support” for Brisbane’s 2032 bid during the meeting.

“Prime Minister Morrison and President Thomas Bach had a very good meeting this morning,” said Coates, who is also chair of the IOC’s Tokyo 2020 Coordination Commission.

“The Prime Minister reiterated the full support of the Australian Government for Queensland and Brisbane’s candidature for the 2032 Olympics Games. The full support.”

Bach has previously praised the early planning within Australia’s 2032 bid, which would be centred on Queensland state’s capital city, Brisbane.

Bach and Morrison also discussed holding sporting events during the novel coronavirus pandemic.

During meetings with Tokyo Games’ organisers on Monday, Bach expressed confidence that the Olympics can be held safely next year [M1L1N2I201B].

Australia, alongside Canada, pulled out of coming to the Tokyo Games before the postponement decision was made in March, because of safety fears related to COVID-19.

Reporting by Jack Tarrant; Editing by Stephen Coates

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

QSAC Is too old for such a thing. They proposed to expand it to 90,000 for the 1992 bid, but how that was ever going to achieved was questionable (though I'm sure the bid team would have made a scale

... and yet neither Melbourne, nor any other Australian city or region is making any moves toward a bid.  So let go of Melbourne,  they’re not bidding. End of story.  I’m a Melbourne resident and

As a Brisbane based politics nut even i struggle to see where this is going. Sure the north and west traditionally vote conservative, but it;s the city seats where the election is won, and given whats

PM hopeful Queensland will restart campaign to host the 2032 Summer Games

Brisbane Times

By Olivia Caisley and Anthony Galloway

November 17, 2020 — 3.27pm

 

Scott Morrison says he is hopeful Queensland will restart its campaign to host the 2032 Summer Games as he reiterated his support for the Australian bid when meeting with International Olympic officials in Japan.

The Prime Minister also told business leaders Australia shared Japan's ambition of achieving net-zero emissions but he was focused on "how we get there and how that can be achieved" before he committed to those targets.

Mr Morrison met with International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach and his Australian counterpart John Coates in Tokyo on Tuesday, where they discussed hosting the Olympics in a post-COVID world.

Behind closed doors, the Olympics supremos highlighted their willingness to engage with the Palaszczuk government over its bid, which was put on ice in May due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It is understood Mr Morrison said he was hopeful Queensland would soon restart its campaign but flagged it had been a busy time for the state with its recent election.

 

His comments come as Health Minister Greg Hunt said Australian athletes would "very likely" head to Japan next year for the Tokyo Games, with organisers moving to secure possible vaccines for participants. The Tokyo Games were originally due to start in July, but were postponed for a year due to the pandemic.

Mr Hunt said the federal government was supportive of the Games going ahead in a "COVID-safe way".

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Article below mentions that the 2032 host isn't expected to be announced until at least 2022.
 

Smarting China attempts to pinch ‘Brisbane Olympics’

Julian LindenNovember 29, 2020 - 9:19PMThe Daily Telegraph0 comments
4-5 minutes

China is preparing an audacious last-minute bid to steal the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics right from under Australia’s noses while Brisbane’s bid is momentarily on hold because of the global pandemic.

Australia’s sporting leaders have always feared that China would retaliate over Mack Horton’s role in the worldwide protests against China’s banned favourite swimmer Sun Yang but the brazen attempt to pinch the Olympic hosting rights has caught everyone by surprise.

Olympic insiders are stunned that China would suddenly throw their hat in the ring to host the 2032 Olympics, knowing full well that Southeast Queensland is the clear frontrunner and has only paused in its planning out of respect to officials dealing with the global health crisis.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

While a formal decision on the host is not expected until at least 2022, it’s no secret that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been working closely with Brisbane’s team as part of their new way for deciding hosts.

Designed to end the ugly and expensive bidding wars of the past, the IOC has implemented a more transparent system whereby it enters into continuous dialogue with candidate cities.

It’s well understood those talks have only stalled to allow the IOC to deal with the more pressing issue of rescheduling Tokyo in 2021 and aren’t in anyway a suggestion Brisbane’s bid is not proceeding.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison met IOC leaders in Japan just last week and exclusively told The Daily Telegraph this month the government was right behind the Southeast Queensland bid.

“The way the Olympic bids work now has changed, it’s not the beauty parade it used to be,” Morrison said.

“There’s the opportunity to get inside and be a preferred bidder and work through the detailed things in a preferred status so that’s why we’re so keen to get off the mark there as quickly as we could.

“I’ve already met with the head of the IOC, I’ve already met with others in Japan when I was up there last year and I think that’s put us in a good place.”

That’s why China’s late bid comes as such a major surprise.

According to a government report in the China Daily, the Sichuan province capital Chengdu and the nearby megacity of Chongqing are teaming up to launch a joint bid for 2032.

The report said: “As part of a national strategy to develop the Chengdu-Chongqing economic circle, the two cities will bid for the Olympics together to try to host a Games with strong urban and cultural characteristics of the two cities, and to enhance the international influence of the two cities.”

The Chinese Olympic Committee has not yet confirmed whether the bid will go ahead though it is well known that China is aggressively chasing major international sports events.

Beaten by Sydney to host the 2000 Olympics, smog-filled Beijing was awarded the Summer Games for 2008 and the Winter Olympics for 2022 as well as a stack of other major events and China’s appetite is still growing.

But while China’s massive population and increasing financial muscle make it an irresistible choice for sporting bodies wanting to cash in, human rights groups have been openly critical of selecting countries accused of human rights abuses to stage sports events.

 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Officials Douse Flames Under Proposed Chinese 2032 Olympic Bid

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 9:33 AM by Robert Livingstone in Featured, Future Summer Bids

Excitement surrounding a surprise announcement last week from Chinese city Chengdu that sport officials were about to launch a 2032 Olympic bid jointly with neighboring Chongqing has quickly fizzled out.

Wei Jizhong, the former secretary general of the Chinese Olympic Committee (COC), downplayed the emerging proposal explaining that the event would be poorly timed and the named locations were too far apart.

He told South China Morning Post  “even though it’s only 300 kilometers apart, it is still too far away from each other for them to be joint hosts.”

And with Beijing set to host the 2022 Winter Olympics positioning the capital to be the only city to host both seasonal editions of the Games, Wei said it was too soon for the event to return to China.

He explained “for me, we have to give a chance to other cities around the world.”

“We already have the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing and according to IOC [International Olympic Committee] policy, they want to reduce costs.  This allows other cities around the world to make realistic bids.”

The whirlwind of speculation began after an economic development report published on Chengdu’s official website stated “as part of a national strategy to develop the Chengdu-Chongqing economic circle, the two cities will bid for the Olympics together to try to host a Games with strong urban and cultural characteristics of the two cities, and to enhance the international influence of the two cities.”

This proclamation caught Chongqing officials off-guard with sport authority employee’s reportedly unaware of such a bid.  Sichuan Province capital Chengdu has been a regional rival to mega-city Chongqing after the latter broke off from the province in 1997 to create its own provincial-level authority.  Residents of both cities quickly took to social media to argue the prospect of a joint bid.

Wei, who is an honorary life president of the Olympic Council of Asia, said that the proposal has evolved without necessary consultation with the COC.

“It’s just an idea in someone’s head,” Wei told South China Morning Post.

“Anyone can say anything but it’s only an idea. The Chinese Olympic Committee has not said anything and I’m not taking it seriously for now.”

Officials in Shanghai had floated the idea of an Olympic bid from the Chinese city in 2018, but a project has yet to materialize.

The race to host the 2032 Games has been on hold since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic and the delay of the Tokyo 2020 Games, and this has allowed more time for interested regions to jostle for position in the running.  Those already in the fray, including the perceived early frontrunner Brisbane in Australia, might be relieved that China’s bid has been cooled.

Also in the growing field are bids from Jakarta in Indonesia, Doha in Qatar, a regional project in Germany, a joint Unified Korea bid from Seoul and Pyongyang, and Mumbai in India.

Istanbul in Turkey has also expressed interest.

The IOC had been fast-tracking bids and it looked likely that a host city for 2032 could be elected in 2021.  But due to COVID-19 all bids, and the IOC process, have stalled and years could be added to the race that has traditionally ended seven years ahead of the Games themselves – in this case, 2025.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Queensland Olympics bid rebooted with high-level talks

Queensland’s proposed bid to host the 2032 Olympics is back on track after a COVID-enforced hiatus.

Dan Knowles Exclusive
December 7, 2020 - 12:00AM
The Courier-Mail
 

Queensland’s race to host the 2032 Olympics is back on track with high-level talks between Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and AOC boss John Coates being held today to reboot the bid.

The bid proposal was put on the backburner in March as the world grappled with COVID, but the Premier and Mr Coates – president of the Australian Olympic Com­mittee and vice-president of the International Olympic Committee – will meet this morning to fire up the bid to seize on Queensland’s early advantage.

Mr Coates chairs the joint federal, state and local government committee organising the Games candidature.

 

Today’s meeting will lay the groundwork for the full bid process to restart early next year. The Courier-Mail can also reveal that the state government will soon write to IOC president Thomas Bach telling him of Queensland’s continuing support for the Games.

“There is more work to be done to determine what hosting an Olympics means,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“And we must ensure any future decisions are fully informed and in the best interests of Queenslanders.

“That is why it is critical as we progress these discussions over the coming months that we obtain the necessary support of all levels of government,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

The state government will also be seeking more information from the IOC once the postponed Tokyo Games gets the final green light, hopefully for the middle of next year.

 

An Olympics and Paralympics would pour tens of billions of dollars into the economy in tourism exposure and the building of transport infrastructure needed to ­secure the Olympics and Paralympics, according to the state government’s value proposition investigation.

State government analysis has shown that a 2032 ­Olympics could turbocharge Queensland’s economy with fast-tracked infrastructure projects and a tourism boost creating as many as 130,000 jobs and bring in $2.5bn provided by the IOC.

Earlier investigations also found that Organising Committee costs for the Olympic and Paralympic Games of $4.45bn could be delivered at no cost to the state or Queensland taxpayers, taking into account IOC contributions and domestic revenues, resulting in great opportunities for Queensland businesses.

Queensland secured a headstart after the SEQ Council of Mayors proposed a Games bid to fast-track new roads and rail with a feasibility study, which gathered momentum on the back of The Courier-Mail’s Future SEQ campaign and Premier Palaszczuk’s invitation to talk directly to IOC boss Mr Bach at Olympics headquarters in Laussane, Switzerland.
 

In December last year, Ms Palaszczuk announced that Queensland was going for the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics, won over by projections of what it would do for the economy right across the state. But there have been ­recent warnings that Queensland needed to keep up the momentum or lose its headstart against potential challengers, including Qatar, India and Indonesia. China last week threatened to launch a bid too.

Prime Minister Scott ­Morrison last month publicly reiterated the federal government’s support for a Queensland Games when he met Mr Bach in Japan.

 

 

 
 
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Queensland chases Olympics again after reports China would nab Games

Credit: Brisbane Times

By Lydia Lynch
December 7, 2020 — 11.24am

Queensland’s dream to host the 2032 Olympic Games is back on track after being put on ice during the pandemic, as the Premier brushes off reports China was planning to nab the Games.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the state’s Olympic taskforce would reconvene in 2021 to progress the bid after it disbanded during the pandemic.

Ms Palaszczuk met with Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates in Brisbane on Monday morning to restart talks after the bid was paused in May.

They met about a week after Chinese government’s English-language newspaper China Daily reported the cities of "Chengdu and Chongqing are planning to bid for the 2032 Summer Olympic Games".

Ms Palaszczuk and Mr Coates brushed off reports on Monday.

“We have not seen an official expression of interest [from China] but, look, we respect all of the competitors,” Mr Coates said.

"There is Jakarta, there is potentially a bid from India, from the Netherlands, from Germany and we respect them all but we will just concentrate and focus on our own merits."

Ms Palaszczuk announced plans to bid last year, but a formal decision about whether south-east Queensland would host the Games was not expected until 2022.

Preliminary planning suggested some football events could be held in Townsville and Cairns, sailing in the Whitsundays and volleyball at Broadbeach.

Ms Palaszczuk has previously flagged upgrades to the QSAC stadium and possibly Albion Park Raceway.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison talked up Brisbane’s chances of hosting the Games during a trip to Japan last month where he met with Mr Coates and Thomas Bach, the International Olympic Committee president.

The Premier hoped “to grab five minutes with the Prime Minister on Friday at national cabinet” to discuss plans.

Mr Coates will address Ms Palaszczuk’s cabinet in February on the status of the delayed Tokyo Games and the continued process for the 2032 bid.

He said the Tokyo Games were “definitely going ahead, postponed Games on July 23”.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...