baron-pierreIV

So, will the IOC even hatch a plan "B?

And what would that be?  Can they really prevail on the USOC, LA-2028 and Salt Lake City to come forward? 

It'll probably cost them another $1.75 billion, but that's still cheaper than returning all the broadcast and sponsorship monies pledged for 2026, which could be, like, returning maybe $3.85 Billion to NBC and others.  

The combined Korean twins bid (PyeongChang and Pyong-Yang) which would be a dress-rehearsal for 2032.  Would the Korea's demand 2032 in writing now, for saving 2026??

Hooray, the famous Tower of Terror in PY, the Ryugyong Hotel, will finally get Official Recognition!!  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

25 minutes ago, Maximf83 said:

I think they will run to Salt Lake (which will be met by similar social opposition as LA facing now, with the difference that it will be prior to the bid)

Good luck with that.  It will be a short timetable for that bid to come together in public fashion.  The issue with Salt Lake is how to make that work with the USOC and with LA2028.  Local opposition will probably be the least of the concerns there, if that is in fact where the IOC turns for the plan B they claim they don't need.

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

Good luck with that.  It will be a short timetable for that bid to come together in public fashion.  The issue with Salt Lake is how to make that work with the USOC and with LA2028.  Local opposition will probably be the least of the concerns there, if that is in fact where the IOC turns for the plan B they claim they don't need.

No matter what , it will look so bad for the IOC if their 3 selected bids all fall apart, BTW what is the problem with the italian bid? i know stockholm doesnt have government support and calgary will fall in the referendum, italy have all venues i believe, no need to build

41 minutes ago, Maximf83 said:

BTW what is the problem with the italian bid? i know stockholm doesnt have government support and calgary will fall in the referendum, italy have all venues i believe, no need to build

Turin has all the venues, but they’re no longer part of the 2026 bid, Milan & Cortina are. And Milan would still need to build three ice rinks & a speed skating oval, which would all come at a steep price. 

And while Milan & Cortina still have their respective regional government supports, the Italian federal government recently said that they will not financially support the bid, but will do so politically. So it still remains to be seen if that will still be okay with the IOC, & also if the needed venues that would still need to be constructed in Milan would be okay with the Lombardian citizens.

The problem with a Salt Lake 2026, then a USA-WC-2026, finally an LA 2028, is the pool of sponsorships.  The USOC and the Org Committees for 2026 and 2028 will be fighting/sharing for a limited pool of sponsors with the World Cup.  Granted, the USOC could probably negotiate 2-for-1 deals with wannabee Olympic sponsors, but such a move would dilute the value of sponsorships for LA 2028.  That is what LA is afraid of.  I mean, right now, McDonald's and MetLife were the 2 latest US-based TOP casualties.  I guess new giants like Amazon, Apple, FB, Google, Salesforce could step in -- and it's conceivable that the world's largest economy could supply all the corporate backup the 3 global events will need, but it also all depends on how the US (and world) economy behaves over the next 6-8 years.  If a global recession hits over the next 4-5 years, that will impact all the projections and finances of these mega-events.  

I can see the USA-2026 Org committee just signing up as many A-1 sponsors as they can now before the USOC-IOC Olympic juggernaut ups the ante for 2026.  But for LA to agree to have Salt Lake happen in 2026, the IOC will have to make up what LA would lose in sponsor monies for 2028.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Thanks 1

To deal with the USOC would be a mess that LA 2028 2026 thing, The only logical place for the IOC to go as a plan B is Almaty Kazakhstan after blowing off the Turkey bid they got a government which could easy step in and get the games they won't need to build much for the games compared to where they were in 2015 after hosting a very well run Asian Winter Games, Uni Winter Games and World Expo in Astana, Almaty 2026 would be a safe choice for 2026 Plan B.

After this whole mess with Europe from 2022 and 2026 I would not even get them to bid for the next 4 games and if I was in the IOC I would say that Southern Hemisphere would be getting the Winter Games pretty soon Santiago de Chile is busy for the next 5 years with the 2023 Pan American and Parapan American Games 2034 or 2038 would be a great time to bring the games to the Southern Hemisphere in Santiago de Chile.

2026 Almaty Kazakhstan 

2030 North America

2034 Sapporo Japan 

Almaty needed to build nearly all of the ice venues (bar the one new 12,000 seat arena) and completed gut and remodel the existing ones.  New roads and services were needed for the majority of snow venues. Almaty was still a multi-billion $ project FFS.

IDK what to think of this. Aside from the obvious date issue, the distance from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia is 2,000 miles. That’s too great. Why aren’t they looking at Mendoza instead? The distance from Buenos Aires is much shorter at only 800 miles in comparison. And there’s a large ski resort nearby - Las Lenas. Plus, Santiago, which is not very far from Mendoza, could also be used an anchor city for more support. And apart from Ushuaia being too far, it’s also too remote & very small. Where the heck are they going to put the venues? Not to mention, Argentina’s economy is in rough shape ATM. Sounds to me like someone, or someone’s, are daydreaming way too much down there.  

The idea of Santiago or Buenos Aires is ridiculous. The IOC would go back to Sochi (which I think could happen if SLC and the USOC say no) before considering that. Besides the much-discussed southern hemisphere timing, there is virtually no winter sports infrastructure outside of the mountains for the alpine events. Constructing the needed facilities would be expensive and lead to a host of white elephants. 

8 hours ago, FYI said:

Argentina considers potential late run for 2026 Winter Games

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4887479

Olympianfan, is that you?  Planting an article online like that?!?

Is a southern hemisphere country is to make a serious run at a Winter Olympics bid, maybe actually put some time and thought into it rather than make it a rush job.  Perhaps this is just them just trying to keep the spirit of the Youth Olympics alive, but we're not going to hear much more about this.  Their feasibility study will undoubtedly reveal this has not shot of working.

I had thought of Bariloche.  But my brother tells me (he's been there) that Bariloche is NOT big enough to handle all the snow events for a WOGs.  In SA, Chile has the slopes and the infrastructure to stage many of the mountain events -- but still individually, neither is equipped yet to stage a 1st class WOGs.  Perhaps in a decade, when more lodges and roads and communications equipment are in place, can SA handle a WOGs.  

35 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Olympianfan, is that you?  Planting an article online like that?!?

Is a southern hemisphere country is to make a serious run at a Winter Olympics bid, maybe actually put some time and thought into it rather than make it a rush job.  Perhaps this is just them just trying to keep the spirit of the Youth Olympics alive, but we're not going to hear much more about this.  Their feasibility study will undoubtedly reveal this has not shot of working.

NO not at all I would not even recommend a 2026 bid from Argentina right now the best city would be in Mendoza, But they will need to get the University Winter Games and host that before they go for the Winter Games so if they go for the 2025 or 2027 Winter Games they could be the ideal city in 2038.

My Plan B cities for the 2026 Winter Games are Sochi Russia or Almaty Kazakhstan Sochi pretty much have everything just need's a new games village and Almaty just need to build the Games Villages, Sliding Centre and a Ice Arena very experience city when it comes to winter sports events now.

International federations could support the Winter Games in the Southern Hemisphere to have a Olympic training base where they can train during the European Summer Santiago is hosting the 2023 Pan American Games and is more likely to host the winter games then Argentina is right now and grow the winter sports market to new countries Europe might not have another games for a generation with the lack of interest from Europe in the Winter Olympic movement right now.