Who Will Open the 2012 London Games?

:) I'm picking that QEII will open the XXX Olympiad as she will only be 86, albeit old.  However she will open it as a widow and it will be her final act (as she was present at the 1948 opening watching her father open them as well)before retiring from visual public life.  

If not, and QEII succoms to illness then Charles will open them as King George VII as he has stated he will take the name and it will be a fitting irony that King George VI opened the 1948 games.

It could be the Queen. However, I can see Charles doing it more, but I wouldn't rule her out whatsoever. Besides, she did open Montreal 1976 though.

Remember that the Queen will be celebrating her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, so the UK will already be planning a huge party. The Commonwealth Games in Manchester coincided with her Golden Jubille so it's kind of strange that London should be chosen in the year of her Diamond Anniversary.

so it is very likely that the person who opens Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 will be the same....interesting

not very likely, the Governor General or even the Prime Minister will open them

but she also could be a very possible candidate.....she opened Montreal

King Charles III. :upside:

The Queen has the right to open the Vancouver Games, just as she did in 2000 in Sydney, but generally, the Queen only does stuff like that when she is invited to do so.

Pierre Trudeau invited her to open the Montreal Games, and I believe, without consulting COJO.  The Govenor General at the time had been pegged to do the job as he was Quebecois.  The GG opened the 1988 Calgary Games.

Man, talk about the British monarch opening "consecutive Games." Just imagine if Toronto were to bid for 2016 and wins.  :o

Archived