Hope for New Sports

Stu

An interesting little tid-bit buried in GBid's ANOC report:

Also at the meeting world sports leaders have agreed to recommend the IOC change the way a sport is included or taken off the list of Olympic events. IOC member John Dowling Coats said, “we agree to have a sport eliminated or added by a vote of 50 per cent”. Under the current IOC charter, to eliminate a sport from the Olympic Program requires a majority of committee members to support the removal. And 75 per cent support is required to add a sport.

That makes far more sense after the ridiculous result last year that saw baseball and softball eliminated but nothing chosen to replace them. I mean to say, why have only a simple majority needed to eliminate a sport, and then require a near-impossible-to-get 75 per cent agreement on a new sport (if anything, it should be the other way around)?

Simple majority for both votes is fairer and should give new hope to the likes of rugby (and a return by softball) for future games.

Last years decision was stupid - it would have been better to have kept both baseball and softball than to have two fewer sports.  

I would really love to see rugby-sevens introduced too - it was one of the best events in Melbourne and has a much wider following than either baseball or softball with regards to the number of countries that follow the sport (not only most of the commonwealth but a lot of Europe too).

I've been trying to look for the results of last year's sports vote in Singapore to see if any of the new sports would have been admitted under a simple majority rule. All I can find is that squash and karate were the two that were put up for inclusion, but not what the final figures/percentages were. Does anyone know what they were?

Jacques Rogge has said that baseball will have to continue its efforts to clean its image before it is allowed to apply for admission at Copenhagen for the 2016 Games.  The elimination of baseball and softball reduced the number of sports on the London programme, but left the Olympic movement searching for a better way to determine the appropriate scale of the Games.  A grouping of sports federations involved in the summer Olympics recommended Wednesday that the IOC name the 26 current sports as "core sports" and that change to the sports list be made only "for substantial reasons."   The recommendation will be considered by the IOC along with some other proposals before being put to a vote next year, Rogge said. The proposal would allow other the IOC to add sports into the Games on a one-time basis based on the traditions of a host country.

The proposal comes too late for Beijing whose lobbying to include Chinese martial arts into the 2008 Games was rebuffed, but could, for example, allow rugby into the Olympics at London in 2012.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9358780

Jacques Rogge has said that baseball will have to continue its efforts to clean its image before it is allowed to apply for admission at Copenhagen for the 2016 Games.  The elimination of baseball and softball reduced the number of sports on the London programme, but left the Olympic movement searching for a better way to determine the appropriate scale of the Games.  A grouping of sports federations involved in the summer Olympics recommended Wednesday that the IOC name the 26 current sports as "core sports" and that change to the sports list be made only "for substantial reasons."   The recommendation will be considered by the IOC along with some other proposals before being put to a vote next year, Rogge said. The proposal would allow other the IOC to add sports into the Games on a one-time basis based on the traditions of a host country.

The proposal comes too late for Beijing whose lobbying to include Chinese martial arts into the 2008 Games was rebuffed, but could, for example, allow rugby into the Olympics at London in 2012.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9358780

That's been the type of formula that I've long been in favour for for the Olympics _ similar to the Commonwealth Games, but with a stronger core of compulsory sports. It would make lots of sense for a host to tailor the program to some degree for the home crowd _ Rugby would be a shoe-in for a Commonwealth host, the US could get baseball in when it hosts and sports like takraw, karate and wushu would work well with Asian hosts. It's certainly a proposal that deserves some consideration.

Well, reading between the lines after the Seoul meetings last week, it looks like that's what a lot of the discussion has been about, and they seem to have worked out some broad directions and compromises on the issue to be approved at next year's meeting in Guatemala City.

Here's some more quotes from Rogge following the exec board meeting in Seoul:

``So I can say that yes the financial future of the Olympic Games is secure,'' he told a final press conference.

``But of course as I said clearly to the Olympic committees and the national federations, this is virtual money because the revenue will only come in if the Games are successfully held.''

To make sure the Games remain successful, two reforms need to be addressed he said: reviewing the Olympic programme to wheedle out unsuccessful sports and introduce new, more attractive ones, and keeping a lid on the costs and complexity of hosting the Games.

Both items have been under discussion for the past four years but have met resistance. Rogge said that now they have finally been accepted as goals.

``Overall, I say that the understanding and acceptance of both concepts shows in my humble opinion a mindset change and this is really a key for the future evolution of the Olympic movement and the maintaining of the quality of the Olympic Games,'' he said.

AFP

Archived