Sports Vote in Singapore

the IOC is general is against multi-national bids, since a city is awarded the games not a country.

The olympics run a bill of about 5 billion dollars, i am pretty sure that is big enough.

I would think adding more events would be better than adding more sports, ei speed skating distances, team figure skating, more swimming distances, open water swimming, men's softball, women's baseball,

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The main considerations for any new sport to muscle its way in are: (1) will it or won't it require an additional new venue?   and (2) where do we take away athletes so that the new ones can be accommodated w/o going over the 10,500 limit Rogge wants to stick to.  

If any of the new sports can share an existing venue and schedule w/ one of the current sports, then it would have an easier time being considered.

As far as I know, the sports on the short list of candidates that meet your criteria are roller skating (it would be held on the cycling track or on a road) and karate (that can be held in any indoor venue), maybe squash as well (it requires a special venue, but I think it can be easily installed).

Golf and Rugby are not meeting this criteria.

But I doubt those would be, and IMO shouldn't be, the main factors... my important criteria are popularity (for both athletes and spectators) and universality, and golf and rugby (in particular the 7s version) are on top of the list in these criteria, perhaps more than many existing Olympic sports.

The problem with golf is that no agreement with the profesional tours that will ensure the participation of the best golfers is in sight, and I think this would rule it out.

In regard to Rugby, I think the IOC will be reluctant to add another team sport if an individual sport is axed, but its odds would improve if a team sport is eliminated.

For the same reason, the chances of Karate will improve if Taekwando is axed - one martial art in and another one out.

But on my top of the list for exclusion is the modern penthatlon, that IMO get low marks in all criteria... very few viewers will mourn its departure, and as being the smallest Olympic sports, the least amount of athletes will suffer...

Perhaps the strongest arguement for its inclusion is De Cubertin's legacy, but he had so many reasons to roll in his grave in the past 3 decades that another one won't be too hard...

gender equality, ya, no men's softball, no men's rythmic gymnastics, no men's syncro

no women in baseball, boxing, greco-roman wrestling... smaller quotas of events and athletes in many other sports... women in general are outnumbered by around 2:1 ratio to men...

So, what do you guys think? Will any of the sports/events in the Olympic program be changed or deleted now?

Hi I'm new, though I've been exploring here for over a year!  

I think the sport vote is a really important decision; it really has long lasting ramifications.  I think that in the end, if any sports are to be voted out, baseball (with its lack of professional involvement) and modern pentathalon (with its appearent lack of interest) will be the ones to go.  I hope that rugby will be admitted, as it really has global support and interest.  Perhaps a rugby tournament could be played in the main olympic stadium during the first week.  This would free the host city of providing a seperate venue for rugby :)!

gender equality, ya, no men's softball, no men's rythmic gymnastics, no men's syncro

no women in baseball, boxing, greco-roman wrestling... smaller quotas of events and athletes in many other sports... women in general are outnumbered by around 2:1 ratio to men...

you do know out of those only baseball has female involvement right?

And so tomorrow we turn to the other big vote(s) of this IOC session (and as I've said, to me maybe even of more long-term importance than the host city vote) _ which, if any sports to drop, and which to pick up?

It would seem that Rugby's chances of getting in may have had a significant boost from London's victory.

I think that since this sport has been created by de Coubertin, it would be a nice touch after having voted against Paris 2012 to eliminate Modern pentathlon and replace it by Rugby.

• 1 month later...
Man, I can't believe that there will be fewer sports for London 2012. What is even worse, they will NOT be replaced by any other sports/events. You know about the ones that got axed from the Olympic program.

Well, softball's tough times seem to be getting tougher:

TORONTO, Aug 31 (AFP) - Softball's fight to regain Olympic status after being dropped last month has suffered another blow with the sport's removal from the 2007 Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) decision to drop softball, roller hockey and racquetball was ripped by Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) officials here Wednesday.

``The COC openly expressed its support for the inclusion of these sports at the assembly,'' COC president Michael Chambers said. ``It's extremely unfortunate that these sports will no longer be showcased at the Pan American Games.''

Slalom canoe was also dropped from the Rio sport list while squash, karate, bowling, futsal, water skiing and individual roller sport joined 28 Olympic sports on the Pan Am programme.

AFP

• 1 month later...

Archived