Sports Vote in Singapore

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a room at OAKA watching an AOB link to the session in Athens, just before the Games. It seems they are voting on things every few minutes, though most votes are a show of hands - only secret balloted votes will use the electronic voting.

It seems the Sports Deletion/Inclusion votes will be in secret per the attached Sports Illustrated article.  I think they voted by a show of hands in Athens because they hadn't set up a voting room for the FULL IOC membership.  

Re Sports to be Cut and Included by the IOC in Singapore

So, again, what if the electronic system breaks down?  I mean did they test those things 40x?  I hope so.

That SI article had some very god points. Why is synchro under aquatics, yet there are at least three tennis type sports (Badminton, Tennis, Table Tennis) that could be one catagory. They should also limit the number of entrees from each sport. But besides that, I think synchro or even rhythmic gymnastics should go, and golf or rugby 7's should take its (their) place.

I think they should go because they are really not that athletic and they are both decided by judging, which we all know how that goes. Besides, the world is becoming more interested in rugby and golf, whereas synchro and RG have never really been that popular.

That SI article had some very god points. Why is synchro  I think they should go because they are really not that athletic and they are both decided by judging, which we all know how that goes. Besides, the world is becoming more interested in rugby and golf, whereas synchro and RG have never really been that popular.

They're going to have to deal with me if they take out Synchornized Swimming and Rhythmic gymnastics.  I'll breed a whole colony of gophers and moles and release them unto the Olympic rugby and golf courses if those 2 sports get in.  So they better think twice.   :angry:

I was a room at OAKA watching an AOB link to the session in Athens, just before the Games. It seems they are voting on things every few minutes, though most votes are a show of hands - only secret balloted votes will use the electronic voting.

It seems the Sports Deletion/Inclusion votes will be in secret per the attached Sports Illustrated article.  I think they voted by a show of hands in Athens because they hadn't set up a voting room for the FULL IOC membership.  

Re Sports to be Cut and Included by the IOC in Singapore

So, again, what if the electronic system breaks down?  I mean did they test those things 40x?  I hope so.

I assume Rogge expects that by secret voting, they might actually succeed to get something thrown out. More and more I'm sure he's determined to get his way on this. I wonder which is going to be the unlucky federation (and if they'll go straight to the courts afterwards for reinstatement if they miss the cut).

That SI article had some very god points. Why is synchro under aquatics, yet there are at least three tennis type sports (Badminton, Tennis, Table Tennis) that could be one catagory. They should also limit the number of entrees from each sport. But besides that, I think synchro or even rhythmic gymnastics should go, and golf or rugby 7's should take its (their) place.

I think they should go because they are really not that athletic and they are both decided by judging, which we all know how that goes. Besides, the world is becoming more interested in rugby and golf, whereas synchro and RG have never really been that popular.

The three Tennis type sports  each have own ISFs, so each is considered a seperate sport. Today all events run by a single ISF are considered to be a single sport. That was not true in the past. At one time a single ISF could have more then one sport(for example; speed and figure skating were once considered seperate sports)

• 2 weeks later...
The more I read the more I am convinced that no sports will be dropped.  At a long shot we may see boxing go just because the scandals that are associated with the sport can finally be dealt with in a secret ballot.  If they go, I'd image Rugby 7s will get in.

The more I read the more I am convinced that no sports will be dropped.  At a long shot we may see boxing go just because the scandals that are associated with the sport can finally be dealt with in a secret ballot.  If they go, I'd image Rugby 7s will get in.

Do you think it was a waste of space here to some of you, about the report?

I haven't read the report in total, but it strikes me that the five IF's fighting for selection have some significant weaknesses that really do hinder any change to the status quo. For example, the IRB has no plans for a women's  7's event, which certainly goes against the gender equality agenda of the IOC. The IGF is unable to guarantee key professionals would appear, has no single corporate sponsor, has high TV production costs and could require a very expensive new venue. The WKF has the hardest competition in existing sports, in that judo and Tae Kwon Do would require some displacement, whilst squash and the WSF must battle other racquet sports for attention (tennis, table tennis, badminton) and has some issues with representation in Asia, Americas and Africa. Finally roller sports has low participation, low media profile and low WC income (I wonder if the wily old falangist is acting as a patron/provocateur).

All up, I can't see any of these 5 sports winning over the IOC membership...the question is can any of the existing IFs be in so much danger they'll get the flick.

• 2 weeks later...
On the contrary, because of its short history, I don't think Taekwondo should be kicked out. It should be given a chance to prove itself.

If anything should be kicked out it should be tennis or baseball.

You know what...I think baseball might be a bit safer then it was two years ago for two reasons

1) MLB is throwing together a World Cup format Tourney

2) The crackdown on doping in the United States will have a drastic impact on players..from all Nations ready to compete under Olympic rules.

i still think sports will be dropped, i think that there is no reason to have many of the sports in the Olympics, ei table tennis

gender equality, ya, no men's softball, no men's rythmic gymnastics, no men's syncro

can't take the IOC to court, its their choosing as who is in the Olympics since its their event

To be honest, I can't see boxing being dropped. It's not as though we've had any really high-profile bad decisions since the one Roy Jones got in Seoul.

I just have a feeling that some sport won't get through. I think Rogge's strategy of putting ALL sports up for grabs will see at least one slip through the cracks (and no doubt come out kicking and screaming and threatening all sorts of vengeance afterwards). I don't know what it will be, probably a lower-profiled sport that didn't get its lobbying act together. And as for a replacement, from the stories I've been reading I'd say Rugby and Squash have been doing the hardeest and best campaigning so far.

In many ways, I'm looking forward with interest to how this plays out almost more than the actual 2012 vote itself. I think so much is riding on it _ the future of how the games develop, the future of Rogge etc etc etc.

Here's what the Sydney Morning Herald's reporting...

Gosper to do hard yards for rugby

By Jacquelin Magnay

July 1, 2005

International Olympic Committee member Kevan Gosper has thrown his weight behind rugby union being included in the Olympic program.

Gosper said yesterday that if the IOC executive board put forward rugby union for consideration, which might happen as early as next Friday, he would vote for it.

"The sport I would most support to get on the Olympic program would be rugby," he said. "I would like to see the 15-a-side version in the Games, but I understand the logic of having rugby sevens instead for its universality."

Rugby also has the imprimatur of the IOC president Jacques Rogge, who played the game for Belgium.

In the biggest shake-up of Olympic sports since 1936, when polo was eliminated, all 28 current Olympic sports have to face a crucial vote by 116 IOC members next Friday at the IOC meeting in Singapore. Rogge has foreshadowed that this scrutiny of sports will occur after every Olympics.

If any sports fail to get the required 50 per cent majority vote, then they will be sidelined from the Olympic program for 2012.

The sport most at risk is baseball because US authorities refuse to grant professionals leave to appear for the Olympics. The US baseball body also has not adopted the World Anti-Doping Agency list of banned drugs and sanctions. Also under threat is modern pentathlon, with the poorly attended event, which combines shooting, running, swimming, horse-riding and fencing, now seen to be outdated.

Boxing will also be queried about its judging standards, following revelations in the Herald earlier this year about continuing corruption. Women's softball, which had previously faced scrutiny, has garnered strong support over the past year and is likely to have the required votes to remain.

If one or more of the current sports is dropped, it will pave the way for an equivalent number of fringe Olympic sports to be included. There are five sports that have the required status: golf, rugby sevens, rollerball, squash and karate.

But the IOC executive board will first make a decision as to which of the five they will put forward to the membership to vote upon. Then the sports have to get a two-thirds majority vote. Rugby sevens has heavyweight backing because it is a sport that requires few resources and is keenly followed in small Oceania and African nations.

Despite this, Gosper said he expected the program status quo to remain. "I think the current program is a good one … ," he said. "But, of course, we have to focus on sports keeping as current as possible, and making them attractive and interesting for the spectators and broadcasters."

Australian Olympic Committee president and IOC member John Coates said he would be supporting a retention of all 28 current sports.

I would think that for baseball to go out and rugby 7s to come in would be a fairly neat swap, and of the potential changes the most harmonious. The IRB has no issues re asking for and expecting the best rugby players to attend a tournament, unlike the drawn out saga over MLB players barely attending an Olympic baseball tournament. There could be no arguments over gender imbalance, as one male sport would replace another. And it does allow relative minnows in world sport (Fiji, Tonga, Hong Kong) to perhaps come to the fore in a way that will broaden the appeal of the Olympics.

And never discount the presidential seal of approval.

The main considerations for any new sport to muscle its way in are: (1) will it or won't it require an additional new venue?   and (2) where do we take away athletes so that the new ones can be accommodated w/o going over the 10,500 limit Rogge wants to stick to.  

If any of the new sports can share an existing venue and schedule w/ one of the current sports, then it would have an easier time being considered.

Guest ryan04
that is the only thing i do not like about Rogge, he is not for making the games any bigger, i would add more sports not drop them, still i like him, he is form Belgium ( he must hate the dutch :laughlong: if you saw Goldmember you know what i mean ) so he dose not have to worry about his country wanting a games and having a shot for a while, he is against multi-national bid  :kungfu:

Archived