Sports Vote in Singapore

The decision has been made for all 28 sports on the Olympic roster to be up for approval by majority vote in Singapore this July in order for them to be included in the 2012 games.

Each existing sport will be voted on one-by-one, and any that faults to get 51 per cent of the vote will be eliminated.

IF a sport is dropped (and IMO this formula makes it a little more likely that it could possibly happen), the potential replacements (Rugby 7s, Golf, Roller Sports, squash and karate) must first win a two-thirds majority vote to be considered an "Olympic" sport, then a simple majority vote for inclusion in 2012.

I think Rugby and Golf's chances for inclusion may just have gone up a little.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its going to be hard for Karate to enter to Olympics because of Judo and Taekwando.

Taekwando supporters must be very concerned about their future in olympic games..

Taekwondo was only introduced in 2000, so i think it will be very easy to leave it out of future games considering its short history.

Infact, the Sydney bidding council pushed strongly for Taekwondo, which may have gained them some extra asian votes.. hehe :laughlong:  :laughlong:

On the contrary, because of its short history, I don't think Taekwondo should be kicked out. It should be given a chance to prove itself.

If anything should be kicked out it should be tennis or baseball.

baseball! NOOOO! and rob australia of another medal??

I know, I know. But baseball is a sport that should be played in front of 60,000 screaming fans sitting on the edge of their seats - not in front of 5,000 thousands greeks all looking like stunned mullets wondering what the fcuk is going on.... if a sport had to go I'd start with the more professionally inclined ones where players just decide on a whim whether or not they want to take part.

I don't think any sport should be dumped while more should be added....stuff the IOC and their fiscally prudent measures.

If I had my way all these sports would be in the Olympics as well....

Men's Softball

Squash

Lawn Bowls

Street Luge

Golf

Rugby 7's

Roller Hockey

Netball

Speaking of our first ever medal in Baseball I wish the AIS would pull their finger out and get us medals in fencing, table tennis, modern pentathlon and synchronized swimming - WE NEED THE FULL HOUSE!

Guest ryan04

If anything should be kicked out it should be tennis or baseball.

Baseball is growing in more countries, and Tennis is one of the most popular sports in the world

Guest ryan04

I'm ok with all of the 28 sports that are currently in the Games

agreed the only one i would else see coming that i would not mind would be golf

So they're reviewing BOTH the summer AND Winter slates?   Lose everything but indoor volleyball, rowing, trampoline and figure skating -- and I'm OK.

f uck u baron :)

Oh, I forgot the other sequin events:  rhythmic gymnastics and synchro swimming.  Well, they could have the T&F athletes compete in beautiful native costumes -- and it would be so viewer-friendly.  

Imagine, soaring over the bar in pole-vaulting with a multi-colored cape.  Awesome!!

i want roller hockey to be added

i would think that whom every gets the Olympics in Europe there would be a large push to have sports like Baseball and Softball kicked out so the home team doesn't get embrassesed.

i do not see the point of having softball or baseball in the Olympics, they are not internationally poular sports like golf, and are just crappy

see I wouldn't have a problem eliminating some of the sports for others...if the replacements were good...I don't really think that any of the replacements are worth such a change at this time.....I think that the sport that is most likely to be added if one is dropped will be golf

As I've said in other related posts, deleting entire disciplines from the Olympic Games just doesn't seem right to me. The Olympics is, bar none, the greatest and grandest sporting event ever. What it needs is more events, not fewer.

I agree with you....I understand the IOC doesn't want the Games to become way too big...but if they really want one more sport really badly, then just add it......

As I've said in other related posts, deleting entire disciplines from the Olympic Games just doesn't seem right to me. The Olympics is, bar none, the greatest and grandest sporting event ever. What it needs is more events, not fewer.

Were u the same one who said extending it to 3 weeks?   :rolleyes:  

To the Winter they should add; but not to the Summer.  It's already overloaded with dumb sports.  I'll tell everyone right now, Golf will NOT go in.  It's like watching paint dry on TV; they've tried it before and it flopped; and how do you secure a golf course?  Think again, people, before you open your traps for golf.

Guest ryan04
i also think they can add sports without dropping them (maybe after Rogge that will happen) i can see golf being added but IMO it is so boreing but it is becoming so populat i mean in the USA we have a Golf channel on the TV for cable viewers

i also think they can add sports without dropping them (maybe after Rogge that will happen) i can see golf being added but IMO it is so boreing but it is becoming so populat i mean in the USA we have a Golf channel on the TV for cable viewers

golf is not important in 60% of the world...and thats a big mayority...so you can have a channel in cable..but Golf wont become an olympic sport.

Rogge will be in power at least 6 or 10 years more..and thats a lot of time...too much time if you ask me..and he is too liberal and severe..i can see him dropping more sports

mexico1968 Posted on April 24 2005,10:28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (ryan04 @ April 23 2005,20:08)

golf is not important in 60% of the world...and thats a big mayority...so you can have a channel in cable..but Golf wont become an olympic sport.

Rogge will be in power at least 6 or 10 years more..and thats a lot of time...too much time if you ask me..and he is too liberal and severe..i can see him dropping more sports

(Jacques) Rogge...is too liberal and severe?? Sorry mexico1968, but what does this mean? How can he be liberal and severe at the same time? If you mean he is too liberal with allowing sports to stay on in the programme, or too severe in wanting cuts, can you quote some evidence? I honestly believe that Rogge is being sensible in floating concerns about the current size of the games, and showing a willingness to review the position of sports. But ultimately, like the selection of the host city for an Olympic Games, the selection of the sports programme for the games is decided by the IOC membership, and it is they that can be considered too 'liberal and severe'.
SOlympiadsW Posted on April 24 2005,07:55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (Infinite_Olympics @ April 23 2005,17:42)

I agree with you....I understand the IOC doesn't want the Games to become way too big...but if they really want one more sport really badly, then just add it......

Infinite_Olympics Posted on April 24 2005,07:42

Get real folks...have you ever worked at a games? Ever lived in a host city during a summer games? Contributed via taxes etc to the organisation of an Olympics and/or seen what happens with venues for sports after an Olympics?

Look at Athens 2004; saddled with a huge logistical task in supplying venues, funding and support for all 28 sports, combined with the sporting 'burden' of trying to place Greek competitors in all 28 competitions, ATHOC and the Greek government struggled. Sydney, private companies and the NSW state government have had a similarly difficult task in keeping venues such as the Dunc Gray Velodrome, the NSW Tennis Centr and the Superdome financially secure after Sydney 2000. Can you imagine Madrid being asked to roll out a new rugby venue, or golf course in Moscow. What about extending the Olympics to three weeks in any of the five 2012 candidate cities because more time is needed to fit in roller hockey, rugby 7s, ballroom dancing or synchronised swimming? Why not just follow the St Louis model and have dwarf wrestling and run the games over 5 months  :P

For the sake of keeping the Summer Olympics as a viable sporting festival that can be sought by a large range of candidate cities, whilst keeping it relevant to current interests for both athletes and spectators, the SOGs must be rationalised. For every laudatory effort in introducing a discipline like beach volleyball, there has been the relative failure of sports such as baseball, tennis and arguably softball to positively influence the games and the host cities. And traditional sports such as boxing, yachting, equestrian and modern pentathlon are all under differing pressures that could see them cut. Look at what Beijing wants to do with Equestrian events...bugger talk about equine health, it's about a sport that the Beijing authorities don't give two schiesses about.

The summer games are bloated, and adding on top of the current programme more sports like wushu and/or golf will just fatten the carcass more.

ebb Posted on April 25 2005,01:28

Generally or just the pros?

Generally...making it an amateur event would lower the significance of the sport within the Olympics, plus throw up some ridiculous results (like China's gold in tennis), and if it were pro then we'd see arguments over the merits of the Olympics contrasted with the US Open, PGA, Masters and British Open, plus all the same crap you hear round the time of the Ryder Cup. Can anyone truly believe that Tiger Woods would stay in the Olympic village? We've seen what pro sports like baseball, basketball, ice hockey and tennis mean when the pros fick around with the games...don't expect golf to be any different.

And yes..I do play golf  :laughlong:

Archived