CBC Olympic theme

Kenadian

I've always loved the CBC theme.  They have used it since at the earliest Seoul 1988 with changes for each games since.  I doubt CTV will use it.  They'd have to buy the rights and I don't know if that will happen.

CBC always re-tunes it a bit.  Athens used more vocals, Atlanta was very "trumpety".  The last time you hear it could be at the closing ceremony of Beijing and I expect during those games it will have a Oriental touch.

^ I agree.  love the CBC theme a lot, and i really really hope CTV/Sportsnet continues this Canadian tradition. the Athens theme was awesome.

the NBC theme however is a bit bland and tiring over time. really nice graphics and i love the tradition of having the opening helicopter shots of the host region, but it's always the same old music.

never thought of this until now but why did Bell Globemedia (CTV/TSN) pick Rogers Sportsnet to co-bid for the 2010 and 2012 Games rights?  wouldn't it make more sense to go with CBC, especially after all those years with co-broadcasting the Olympics on TSN including these Torino Olympics?

I've always loved the CBC theme.  They have used it since at the earliest Seoul 1988 with changes for each games since.  I doubt CTV will use it.  They'd have to buy the rights and I don't know if that will happen.

CBC always re-tunes it a bit.  Athens used more vocals, Atlanta was very "trumpety".  The last time you hear it could be at the closing ceremony of Beijing and I expect during those games it will have a Oriental touch.

I don't think it actually did it, but CBC showed a commercial about Beijing 2008 and it did have a Chinese instrument or two as background music.

You probably have heard the NBC theme.  It is a John Williams classic.  Called "Olympic Fanfare and Theme", it has been around since Los Angeles 1984 and starts off sounding a wee bit like "O Canada" - at least the "Bugler's Dream" part (introduced by ABC in its coverage of the 1968 Games).

NBC also uses another John Williams theme, "Summon the Heros" from the 1996 Atlanta Games.

Click on Bugler's Dream

I love CBC's theme. Very inspiring! It always gave my chills across my spine when I hear it. I hope CTV does buy the rights to the theme but I think they might go there way.

I remember when CTV broadcasted the Barcelona and Lillehammer Olympics they had a different theme, but before and after commerical breaks, they used the Olympic Fanfare theme by John Williams.

Any theme that John Williams uses is excellent. I know he composed the Summon of Heroes for the Atlanta Games and Call of Champions for the Salt Lake City Games and used the Olympic Fanfare for the Los Angeles Games back in 1984. If I am not mistaken I think he conducted the theme to the Sydney games as well.

Who was the composer for the theme for Athens and Torino?

Do you think VANOC would ask Williams to compose the theme for the games or would they ask David Foster to compose the theme like he did in Calgary. Foster actually make sense since he is from Victoria.

I remember when CTV broadcasted the Barcelona and Lillehammer Olympics they had a different theme, but before and after commerical breaks, they used the Olympic Fanfare theme by John Williams.
CTV was on welfare back then.  Now that it's part of Canada's telecommunications and television giant, Bell, i'm sure they have enough money to make up their own theme (or better, buy the rights for the CBC theme).
Do you think VANOC would ask Williams to compose the theme for the games or would they ask David Foster to compose the theme like he did in Calgary. Foster actually make sense since he is from Victoria.

I wouldn't want either.  Williams is American and Foster did Calgary.  Lets have some new Canadian talent compose it.

I wouldn't want either.  Williams is American and Foster did Calgary.  Lets have some new Canadian talent compose it.

And both did SLC 2002: Williams, the main song; Foster, the theme song (the one LeAnn Rimes sang.)

And both did SLC 2002: Williams, the main song; Foster, the theme song (the one LeAnn Rimes sang.)

This ain't NAFTA.

The BBC uses different themes for each Summer Games. But always use the same winter theme - the "Ski Sunday Theme Tune". This is the tune used by the BBC for their weekly winter sports programme that runs throughout the winter months.

You can see video clips of most of their opening themes from 1980 - present at TV Ark Go to sports, then bbc, then olympics. Sent this link before, but for those who havent seen it, then its a really excellent set of clips. I like the Winter one, but my favourite is Sydney.

I think Williams has only done themes for American games - and all of them since 1984.  All of them are excellent.

David Foster's theme for Calgary perfectly fit those games - lively, upbeat, memorable - but sadly, it was too "poppy" and was left back in the 1980's along with Rubix Cube, Sun Ice, Atari and Molly Ringwald's career.  Being music for its times, it is far from Williams' Olympic themes which are music for all times.

I just listened to that CBC theme.  Sorry but that sounds like every other theme song heard on ESPN, ABC, etc.  Not as inspiring as "Buglers Dream" IMHO.

I just listened to that CBC theme.  Sorry but that sounds like every other theme song heard on ESPN, ABC, etc.  Not as inspiring as "Buglers Dream" IMHO.

There's more to the CBC theme.  What you heard was the basic CBC Olympic tune, which CBC doesn't use anymore.  The versions they used for Athens and Torino were much more fast paced; much much better than the sound clip.  

Also, this is only the second half of the opening theme.  CBC makes a new first half of the opening theme for each Games, based on the culture of the host city.  For example, in Beijing they will probably use a Chinese mix.

I like 7's Olympic theme for the Sydney 2000 Olympics a lot. The one for Salt Lake City wasn't bad, either. But I almost always think about the Sydney theme whenever I think about the Sydney 2000 Games, especially the horn part that comes at the end. There's a softer version that is played at the pre-show portion to the Opening Ceremony. If you have the DVDs to the Opening Ceremony and The Dream with Roy and HG like I do, you'll know what I mean.

I almost won on eBay a CD copy of 7 Sport's sports themes, which included its Olympic theme for the 1980 Moscow Olympics. I wonder if 7 plans to reissue the CD but with more themes from the recent past.

The CBC's theme is great. Is it the same for the French-language arm, SRC, I presume so.

John Williams' Olympic score on NBC never gets old to me whenever I hear it.

This ain't NAFTA.

It isn't NAFTA. That's how the CBC commentated it at the SLC 2002 closing ceremony. It is a little bit much for me that the recent Games in NA had the main songs were made by either men.

I agree that 7's are usually very good. They all have a similarity, but they differ as well. They aren't brash and in your face, but they are quite firm. It's really hard to describe it, actually, but basically it's something that sort of makes you pay attention but doesn't bash your ears in.

• 4 months later...

wow this is an older thread I can't believe I missed....anyway I just listend to the CBC theme, and as others have said it sounds like any typical theme song that you here on ESPN, ABC, CBS,etc. leading into any sporting event really....NBC's theme song is just breathtaking, hell I tune in sometimes just to watch the opening of NBC's primetime coverage as it always begins with an aerial view of the city (and the mountains for the WOG) with the song playing, it is enough to leave you speehcless...I also love how NBC begins their coverage on all satelite stations (Telemundo, Bravo, USA, CNBC, MSNBC) with various popular Olympic themes like Summon the Heros (Atlanta 1996) and The Olympic Spirit (Seoul 1988) before getting to the anchor desk...

• 1 year later...
<font color='#000080'>I've always loved the CBC theme. They have used it since at the earliest Seoul 1988 with changes for each games since. I doubt CTV will use it. They'd have to buy the rights and I don't know if that will happen.

CBC always re-tunes it a bit. Athens used more vocals, Atlanta was very "trumpety". The last time you hear it could be at the closing ceremony of Beijing and I expect during those games it will have a Oriental touch.</font>

Try this link: YouTube Clip

I loved the music used in official IOC productions for Nagano, much off it was used to lead up to and back from ad breaks on the TVNZ coverage. Originally, I think it was used in the two main IOC pre-doco series for the 98 Games, *Winter Spectacular* and the Road to Nagano series.

Archived