The official Olympic Songs

Guest ryan04

Since I have "olympic memory",  approximately from the period between Seoul and Barcelona, it's being usual that an official song  is among the distintive symbols of a Games; and there's other songs that in spite of not being official, are listened enough in the two weeks of a Games as to remember them linked to that Games.

I don't know in what point this tradition began, maybe a lot of years before LA84, but if somebody can contribute with something of information I will be very grateful.  :blush:

I would like that you help me  to make a list with these official songs and those not officials that have marked the "acustic  course" of some Games.  

These are those that I remember:  

Seoul 88: "Hand in Hand",... I don't remember the artist  

Barcelona 92: "Barcelona", of Freddie Mercury and Montserrat

Caballé; and "Amigos para Siempre"r, with versions of Josep Carreras feat.¿¿Sarah Brightman?? and "Los Manolos" with a spanish guitar  touch :)

Atlanta 96: I don't remember the official song, but... the hateful  "Macarena" sounded everywhere :cry: , I remind the whole public dancing it in the rests of the events, even Clinton... it was weird, very weird  :rolleyes:

Sidney 2000: "Magic voices", but I don't remember the artist  

Athens 2004:"Pass the flame" of Giannis Kotsiras  and the classic "Sirtaki" listened into the movie "Zorba the Greek" by Mikis Theodorakis wich made dance the whole stadium

Do You remember some more???

PD: BTW, I think that "Macarena" is one of the worsts "gifts" from Spain to the World... forgive us please  :verysad:

There's already been a thread on this -- right after Athens and all the yung 'uns here were still orgasmic over Bserk and whoever that DJ was.

Well, I'm quite new in these forums, so I didn't know that there was already a thread about this, I'll search it to collect more songs, thanks for the information.

Ah, and  I think that the DJ's name was "DJ Tiesto", very famous I think, but not the kind of music I'm searching for... his accelerated rythm  make my head explote while the national teams were entering at the Stadium :shocked:

1996 official theme song was indeed "each" by Gloria Estefan but Power of teh Dream got more exposure during the Games, but to this point Reach has the distinction as being the official theme song.

1996 official theme song was indeed "each" by Gloria Estefan but Power of teh Dream got more exposure during the Games, but to this point Reach has the distinction as being the official theme song.

That's funny.  I was trying to convert the 1996 Atlanta Closing to DVD the other night -- and there was the moment w/ 3-note Gloria trying to reach the notes for REACH.  Just now, olympian, it struck me that 1996's REACH is a shortened version of 1984's REACH OUT  & TOUCH (which was the Opening's Unofficial Anthem I guess).

Guest ryan04

There's already been a thread on this -- right after Athens and all the yung 'uns here were still orgasmic over Bserk and whoever that DJ was.

found that CD in a store, could not stand it

That's funny.  I was trying to convert the 1996 Atlanta Closing to DVD the other night -- and there was the moment w/ 3-note Gloria trying to reach the notes for REACH.  Just now, olympian, it struck me that 1996's REACH is a shortened version of 1984's REACH OUT  & TOUCH (which was the Opening's Unofficial Anthem I guess).

Reach was a new song not any shortened version. It was written by Gloria Estefan and Diane Warren in time for the Olympics.

For a strange reason there isn't an official song for Athens 2004.

We had the 'Pass the flame' which was the song for the Global Torch Relay.

We also had Bjork with 'Oceania', which still no one understands why it was selected to be in the Opening Ceremony.

We have the 'fanfares' that were composed for the athletes and the entrance of Lady G in the stadium.

We also had another song 'Tha skisei i omada' which was performed by a number of Greek singers, but Athens 2004 stopped the song because it was violating -for Athens 2004- the law for the protection of the Olympic Games.

You forgot Sydney 2000's "Love in the air", by John Paul Young that was selected for the closing ceremony. It wasnt especially made for the games but I remember it coz I like this song :) . There even were couples from the most prestigious Sydney dancing schools dancing while Young was singing.

I remember John Paul Young singing "Love is in the air" during the Sydney Cloosing Ceremonies - but is was not official.

I think we had a few songs specially copmposed fir these Olympics:

1. Tina Arena & the Sydney Childrens Choir: "The Flame"

2. John Farnham & Olivia Newton-John: "Dare to dream"

3. Vanessa Amorosi: "Heroes live forever"

4. Nikki Webster: "Uner southern skies"

And not forget about the BRILLIANT Sydney 2000 Bid Song: "Share the Spirit" (<<<<< Still looking for it so please help me out folks....!!!  :cry: )

I remember another song from the Barcelona games, which was called "Hearts on fire", but I dont know the singer.

In Athens we only had "Pass the flame" (first I diddn`t like it but then I really get used of it, it represented the whole spirit of these summer and these Olympics)

I also like "Proud" by Heather Small, the official London 2012 Bid Song - really nice  :laugh:

For Los Angeles the official song was "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" by John Williams.  "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand." was the unofficial song.

LAOOC originally wanted Diana Ross to sing "Reach Out" in the opening ceremonies since she was the one who popularized it.  Di, however, demanded a fee to do so :rolleyes: So Vicki McClure, an L.A. grocery checkout girl and a member of the Olympic choir who was standing in for Ross during rehearsals, was asked to sing it during the opening. Can you imagine - going from the checkout line to having almost the entire world watching you sing in a matter of days?

I don't know if Montreal had an official song but the record album (which I have) has all the music being by Andre Mathieu.

And NO, I WILL NOT forgive you for the Macarena!  :help: To this day it is still played at every wedding I attend!  :angry:  :glare:  :laugh:

Archived