Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Indonesia’s President Confirms Nation’s Bid To Host 2032 Olympic Games

Indonesia will begin preparing plans for a bid to host the 2032 Olympic Games, the nation’s President Joko Widodo announced Saturday in Jakarta. The remarks came after an hour-long meeting with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach while the 18th Asian Games are being staged in the Capital.  The Jakarta-Palembang 2018 edition has hosted […]

The post Indonesia’s President Confirms Nation’s Bid To Host 2032 Olympic Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Just like Cairo - Jakarta seems like a nice, novel idea. But in reality, both places are a huge chaotic & polluted mess. So unless no one else was available (& even then), I’d say not very likely.

I’d always liken Bangkok for a SE Asian Olympics anyway. They already have an extensive transit system & strong economy. But even in their case, I’m not so sure. They, along with Cairo & Kuala Lumpur, were not short-listed for the 2008 Summer Olympics. 

Well, Jakarta (and Palembang) have the venues and TWO solid Games on their belt.  The other joint co-hosting gig was again, a fill in, for the 2011 SouthEast Asian Games (altho Palembang was the anchor city in that edition).  Depending on how these Asian Games play out, I hope there are NO untoward incidents, at this point, I'd say a Jakarta 2032 bid would probably be the leading one.   The competition?

1. the regional German bid?  If it's up against Delhi, Jakarta and Shanghai, that's another developed country bid, right after 3 consecutive ones: Tokyo 2020, Paris 2024 and LA 2028 (also, ALL repeats).  I think the developing countries voters will line up behind Jakarta.

2.  Shanghai?  If China gets the 2030 World Cup, I think the IOC'ers might want to spread the wealth of 2032 to Indonesia first; and then maybe Delhi.  As of today, Indonesia is the 4th most populous country on the planet.  WC 2030 would be awarded in 2022, but even if China doesn't get WC 2030, they just hosted the 2022 Winters, so the IOC voters might favor another bid.  

3.  Bakoo-ku might want to bid for 2032 also. 

4. The Delhi, India, bid would be a distant third, especially after the debacle of the 2010 CWG.  2032 would be a warm-up for them to run for 2036, when they might be up against another "Indian" city, Durban, RSA; if Shanghai doesn't have another go at 2036.  

5.  If Jakarta or Shanghai gets 2032, then 2036 would go to Europe again, since the "at least every 3rd SOGs return to Europe," takes over.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

1. the regional German bid?  If it's up against Delhi, Jakarta and Shanghai, that's another developed country bid, right after 3 consecutive ones: Tokyo 2020, Paris 2024 and LA 2028 (also, ALL repeats). I think the developing countries voters will line up behind Jakarta.

Considering Europe is the place where the IOC is having quite a hard time lately in getting reliable bids from, if a solid German bid is on the table for 2032, I doubt the IOC will turn it’s nose on it. They’ll pounce on it like a beer guzzler at Oktoberfest.

Not to mention, that 2032 will be awarded in 2025, right after the IOC will have had their full-plate run of other ASIAN Olympics (2018, 2020 & 2022). And besides, Shanghai would still be a NEW city for the Olympics.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

2.  Shanghai?  If China gets the 2030 World Cup, I think the IOC'ers might want to spread the wealth of 2032 to Indonesia first; and then maybe Delhi.  As of today, Indonesia is the 4th most populous country on the planet.  WC 2030 would be awarded in 2022, but even if China doesn't get WC 2030, they just hosted the 2022 Winters, so the IOC voters might favor another bid.  

Besides the technical aspects & reliability of a bid race (which is what won China 2022 in the end) - aren’t you the one that says that IOC members ALSO vote on where they want to be on “vacation”, per se, during the Games? Shanghai vs Jakarta? That one’s a no-brainer. I also think the IOC might want to still save that ‘last frontier’ card for that other ‘Indian’ city on the coast. 

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

3.  Bakoo-ku might want to bid for 2032 also. 

Lol okay. Jakarta would have a chance then if that happens to be their only competition.

I agree that a strong European bid wouldn't be easy to reject after these years, even if it's with another double award, and I'm actually quite surprised that although the Spanish NOC President really wants Madrid to host, there haven't been any serious talks about a possible bid so far. They may be waiting for the local and general elections in 2019 and 2020 to make a decision.

As for Indonesia, I always like seeing new hosts. They now have the experience of the Asian Games but it also seems that Jakarta as a city isn't as attractive as other possible non-traditional candidates like Cairo or Mumbai/Delhi, so I wouldn't know what to expect if it was between these three. The good news for the IOC is that there are already more cities interested in 2032 than there were for 2024.

After a super well run Asian Games I think Jakarta is in the prime place to host the 2032 Summer Games it will be great to go there as it will stop places like Turkey and Qatar crying about the IOC don't want to go to the Islamic world, 2032 was looking like going to the Southern Hemisphere for South Africa but now that is out of the running they could not even host a Commonwealth Games I think Jakarta is the only city in the Islamic world with merit to host the games right now.

Jakarta Indonesia 2032 would be the 4th games held in the Southern Hemisphere it's the 4th largest country by population and is predicted to be the 9th largest economy in the world in 2030 4th largest by 2050, Looks like Indonesia and India will be the next two Asian countries to host the Summer Games Indonesia 2032 likely and Delhi would need to get back the trust after the badly run 2010 Commonwealth Games to prove and make up for it with the 2030 Asian Games after they make and have the trust we could see an Indian Olympic Games sometime in the 2040s.

If Indonesia will be able to move some of the major sports (I don't know which ones were played in Palembang this time since I don't pay attention to the Asian Games) which matter to Jakarta, then the Jakarta bid would definitely be in the driver's seat moving forward.  And/or build a bullet train between the 2 cities.  Also, they really have to put a lid on any would-be muslim fanatics.  (I hope batik does NOT become the look of the Games; I hate the look of that fabric.) 

On 9/1/2018 at 6:44 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

China most likely can't get the 2030 FIFA World Cup. When FIFA redid the bidding process for 2026, they didn't allow UEFA or AFC to bid for 2026 due to Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022, spreading the tournament to CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, OFC or CAF. If that new rule should stand, which I don't see why it wouldn't, 2030 will be open to OFC (Never hosted), CAF (Las host: South Africa 2010), CONMEBOL (last host: Brasil 2014), and UEFA (Last host: Russia 2018). Since China is an AFC country, their window will not open until the 2034 cycle.

52 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

China most likely can't get the 2030 FIFA World Cup. When FIFA redid the bidding process for 2026, they didn't allow UEFA or AFC to bid for 2026 due to Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022, spreading the tournament to CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, OFC or CAF. If that new rule should stand, which I don't see why it wouldn't, 2030 will be open to OFC (Never hosted), CAF (Las host: South Africa 2010), CONMEBOL (last host: Brasil 2014), and UEFA (Last host: Russia 2018). Since China is an AFC country, their window will not open until the 2034 cycle.

True.  They're probably more of a possibility for 2034; but then they'll have to work overtime to win both SOG 2032 and then WC 2034; which of course, given that they are the #2 economy in the world, they can easily do.  

^Exactly - & all the praises that the Olympics are finally ready to go to South America were being touted. And then looked what happened with 2016, the high anxiety that the IOC went through with Rio. And bcuz of that, I believe the IOC is going to cool for a while going to developing countries.

“There’s more to Asia than China, Japan & South Korea”, but that doesn’t automatically equate that the other Asian countries are “just as capable” of hosting the Olympics. At least not as effectively & efficiently as the first three. Quite frankly, that’s a rather simplistic assumption anyway. And back in 2009 (when 2016 was awarded), the Brazilian economy was in a big boom stage. That’s not even the case with Indonesia right now. As a matter of fact, their currency has been steadily declining as of late. And that’s before we factor in all the pollution & poverty over there TBW.

I find it funny, though, that the same people that are so critical of Rio 2016 after the fact are some of the same ones that are so gung-ho about Jakarta right now. Oh, the irony of it all lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FYI said:

I find it funny, though, that the same people that are so critical of Rio 2016 after the fact are some of the same ones that are so gung-ho about Jakarta right now. Oh, the irony of it all lol.

Someone said it! ;)

Here's an update from Indonesia : The current government will start lobbying for 2032 at Tokyo 2020..

Imam Nahrawi Indonésia Minister of Sport and Youth says that "we will form a team to lobby NOCs and Tokyo 2020 will be our first momentum to inform the world that we have successfully hosted the Asian Games. We will inform that we were successful in hosting and in the standings as well to leave a mark to all of Indonesia guests. Secondly we want to inform that we have the best venues. In quantity the Olympics doesn't have as much athletes as the Asiad, which means that we are capable to host the 2032 Olympics. These are the steps that we have to do together. Head of Indonésian NOC Erick Thorir will do lots of work as the government's representative to convince others. "

Other than that he said that several world championships will be held in Asiad venues as a part of their Asiad legacy plan.. 

Source https://m.detik.com/sport/sport-lain/d-4197880/olimpiade-2020-tokyo-ajang-indonesia-promosi-untuk-jadi-tuan-rumah-2032