Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Shanghai Considers Bid To Host 2032 Olympic Games

A top sport official in the Chinese metropolis Shanghai has indicated interest in hosting an upcoming Olympic Games, with 2032 being the next available opportunity. Luo Wenhua, Shanghai’s deputy director general of sports told reporters Wednesday that his organization will watch the Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024 Olympic Games closely while considering the opportunity.. “It’s […]

The post Shanghai Considers Bid To Host 2032 Olympic Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

^Why would Russia be afraid of China to bid for 2032?

But if all else fails, there’s always China! :lol:

It would be a tour of Disneyland with Tokyo 2020 - Paris 2024 - LA 2028 Shanghai got a Disneyland but in all seriousness, The next Asian place to host the summer games after Tokyo Japan 2020 is likely to be Jakarta Indonesia 2032 or 2036.

The 2018 Asian Games seems to be very well done going on all right done a amazing job as a back up host after 4 years notice imagine what they can do with the next 14 years, Jakarta is building allot of subway lines and transportation, By going to Jakarta the IOC could knock off two birds in one stone by going to South East Asia and the Muslim world at the same time now.

2032 could be an interesting race between Egypt, Indonesia, India, Hungary, Brisbane Australia and Shanghai China if the IOC want to go somewhere new for 2032 Indonesia and Hungary are likely the top favorites Shanghai vs Brisbane I think Shanghai would win it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olympianfan said:

It would be a tour of Disneyland with Tokyo 2020 - Paris 2024 - LA 2028 Shanghai got a Disneyland but in all seriousness, The next Asian place to host the summer games after Tokyo Japan 2020 is likely to be Jakarta Indonesia 2032 or 2036.

The 2018 Asian Games seems to be very well done going on all right done a amazing job as a back up host after 4 years notice imagine what they can do with the next 14 years, Jakarta is building allot of subway lines and transportation, By going to Jakarta the IOC could knock off two birds in one stone by going to South East Asia and the Muslim world at the same time now.

2032 could be an interesting race between Egypt, Indonesia, India, Hungary, Brisbane Australia and Shanghai China if the IOC want to go somewhere new for 2032 Indonesia and Hungary are likely the top favorites Shanghai vs Brisbane I think Shanghai would win it.

I just came home from Indonesia and I can agree that Jakarta will be an eventual Olympics host, they surely have a love for large sporting events. However, it will be dependent on the subway lines, Jakarta traffic is absolutely horrendous. It will be monumental for the region though.However, I do think Kuala Lumpur could possible beat out Jakarta in southeast Asia if they were to eventually compete. But the real city in Southeast Asia that would host a stellar Olympics is Singapore ... however, they don't have the space! 

Just what the IOC needs, the opportunity to hand the Olympics back to a totalitarian dictatorship that will excessively spend on venues and run up huge debts at a time when they are struggling to attract bidders:rolleyes:

14 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I just came home from Indonesia and I can agree that Jakarta will be an eventual Olympics host, they surely have a love for large sporting events. However, it will be dependent on the subway lines, Jakarta traffic is absolutely horrendous. It will be monumental for the region though.However, I do think Kuala Lumpur could possible beat out Jakarta in southeast Asia if they were to eventually compete. But the real city in Southeast Asia that would host a stellar Olympics is Singapore ... however, they don't have the space! 

I really don't think Jakarta will be able to host such a huge event with the city getting even more populated to the point that Indonesia is considering to move into a new capital city somewhere in Kalimantan / Borneo.. I would prefer the games to be held there since this capital if its going to be moved for real it will have to be built from scratch making it the perfect canvas for infrastructure building from sports venues to transportation facilities.. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, stryker said:

Just what the IOC needs, the opportunity to hand the Olympics back to a totalitarian dictatorship that will excessively spend on venues and run up huge debts at a time when they are struggling to attract bidders:rolleyes:

China isn't a totalitarian dictatorship. I think we Americans need to remember that foreigners view our country as backwards over many of the same areas issues China grapples with. (Namely the two party system vs multiparty system, presidency vs parliamentary system, the death penalty, pollution, etc.) Those things don't make America a non-democracy, they just make America less liberalized than Britain and Australia.

Shanghai is a perfectly reasonable host city that has a lot of what they need already. 

On 8/31/2018 at 12:56 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

. But the real city in Southeast Asia that would host a stellar Olympics is Singapore ... however, they don't have the space! 

Well, they did host the inaugural Youth Olympics in 2010, but that is a "Lite Olympics."  Any state with less than a population of 11 million (2004 . . . cough, cough . . . 2022) will be hard-pressed to stage a 20- 23-multi-championships event, let alone space being the other criterion.  You NEED a large population base of at least 30-40 million* to stage a sustainable OGs.  You need the population to buy the tickets, buy the trinkets, host the hordes, cheer the flame, MAN/WOMAN the barricades and the turnstiles of the numerous stadia -- let alone form FULL teams for the team-event sports.  Qatar only has a dozen stadia to fill and ONE TEAM to compose for 2022.  (Greece, in 2004, had to import a few thousand workers to work in directly-related Olympic projects because they had a labor shortage.)

** Yeah, yeah, Australia is the exception  and Norway for the WOGs, as there is always at least ONE exception in everything in life.  

12 hours ago, Nacre said:

China isn't a totalitarian dictatorship.

1. Xi Jinping is amassing more and more power and becoming the next Mao Zedong as we speak
  2. Internet censorship is among the worst in the world and now even VPN's are being hunted down (the last gate of freedom for chinese netizens)
  3. Uyguhr community is now being oppresed on a similar fashion to tibetans.
  4. Still economically support some of the worst dictatorships in the world including Venezuela which is facing the worst massive exodus since Syria

Yeah, I guess we will never understand the eastern hemisphere """democracy""" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 8:15 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, they did host the inaugural Youth Olympics in 2010, but that is a "Lite Olympics."  Any state with less than a population of 11 million (2004 . . . cough, cough . . . 2022) will be hard-pressed to stage a 20- 23-multi-championships event, let alone space being the other criterion.  You NEED a large population base of at least 30-40 million* to stage a sustainable OGs.  You need the population to buy the tickets, buy the trinkets, host the hordes, cheer the flame, MAN/WOMAN the barricades and the turnstiles of the numerous stadia -- let alone form FULL teams for the team-event sports.  Qatar only has a dozen stadia to fill and ONE TEAM to compose for 2022.  (Greece, in 2004, had to import a few thousand workers to work in directly-related Olympic projects because they had a labor shortage.)

** Yeah, yeah, Australia is the exception  and Norway for the WOGs, as there is always at least ONE exception in everything in life.  

Thanks for continuing my point ;)

I would love a Shanghai games, but I think if it came down between Jakarta or Shanghai...I'd pick Shanghai. Especially given that Beijing is hosting in 2022. There's more to Asia than just Japan, South Korea, and China. 

Thankfully the rest of Asia is just as capable of hosting as China, Japan, and South Korea. 

I'd love to see a joint Singapore-Malyasia bid, or just a Kuala Lumpur bid. Either way the IOC would be going to a nation with a significant or majority Muslim population...that would be such a good transition ceremony; Islamic art and music in the LA Memorial Coliseum. Good thing Trump won't be POTUS then :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 12:21 PM, mr.bernham said:

I would love a Shanghai games, but I think if it came down between Jakarta or Shanghai...I'd pick Shanghai. Especially given that Beijing is hosting in 2022. There's more to Asia than just Japan, South Korea, and China. 

Thankfully the rest of Asia is just as capable of hosting as China, Japan, and South Korea. 

I'd love to see a joint Singapore-Malyasia bid, or just a Kuala Lumpur bid. Either way the IOC would be going to a nation with a significant or majority Muslim population...that would be such a good transition ceremony; Islamic art and music in the LA Memorial Coliseum. Good thing Trump won't be POTUS then :D

After reviewing the 2010 World Expo Opening Ceremony today, I must say the 2032 Summer Olympic and Paralympics Games would be awesome in Shanghai I'm sure that they would want to top Beijing 2008 as an intercity rivalry the games will really put Shanghai as the world top city it would have been like if New York City hosted the 1952 Games.

Build an 100,000 seat Olympic Stadium along the River close to downtown theses games will really finished the plan for Shanghai which when back in 1990 had no skyscrapers to make it a top class global city within 42 years would be an impressive job the 2032 games would be the final job to do for that. 

Shanghai China vs Jakarta Indonesia in the final round for 2032 would be very close I think could be like 2022 all over again this time Jakarta would be like Almaty,  Indonesia is predicted to have the 4th largest economy in the world by 2050 there could be a Jakarta Summer games down the track like there will be for a Almaty Kazakhstan winter games sometime in the 2030s. 

2 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

After reviewing the 2010 World Expo Opening Ceremony today, I must say the 2032 Summer Olympic and Paralympics Games would be awesome in Shanghai I'm sure that they would want to top Beijing 2008 as an intercity rivalry the games will really put Shanghai as the world top city it would have been like if New York City hosted the 1952 Games.

Build an 100,000 seat Olympic Stadium along the River close to downtown theses games will really finished the plan for Shanghai which when back in 1990 had no skyscrapers to make it a top class global city within 42 years would be an impressive job the 2032 games would be the final job to do for that. 

Shanghai China vs Jakarta Indonesia in the final round for 2032 would be very close I think could be like 2022 all over again this time Jakarta would be like Almaty,  Indonesia is predicted to have the 4th largest economy in the world by 2050 there could be a Jakarta Summer games down the track like there will be for a Almaty Kazakhstan winter games sometime in the 2030s. 

I think Shanghai even before the PRC, was already a very cosmopolitan city.  Where the Brits put their stamp on HKG, the other European powers (Germany, the Dutch, the Russians) made it a very European city before WW2, and while the Kuomintang was headquartered there, and propped up by the Euro powers.  (The Russian presence there though, was of the White Russians who were fleeing the Bolsheviks).  In a way, Shanghai has always been a Barcelona/St. Petersburg, first to HKG's Madrid (before the PRC became a reality) and when the PRC consolidated itself as the sole ruler of mainland China, it became a St. Petersburg, to Beijing's Moscow. 

Of course, that Beijing-Shanghai rivalry will rise to the surface again if and when China gets the World Cup perhaps in 2034.  Opener would probably be in Shanghai and finals in Beijing.    

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

In a way, Shanghai has always been a Barcelona/St. Petersburg, first to HKG's Madrid (before the PRC became a reality) and when the PRC consolidated itself as the sole ruler of mainland China, it became a St. Petersburg, to Beijing's Moscow. 

WHOA!!! :o That’s way too much of “anything that’s the something of something, isn’t the anything of anything” to send a certain you-know-who around here to a comparison overload!! :lol::P 

5 hours ago, FYI said:

WHOA!!! :o That’s way too much of “anything that’s the something of something, isn’t the anything of anything” to send a certain you-know-who around here to a comparison overload!! :lol::P 

OK, how about Barcelona is Spain's Shanghai or Madrid's HongKong?  Do you want me to do the Russkie turn-about?  ;)