Beijing 2008

Guest ryan04

I am curious to know why there is so little information on Beijing 2008 venues, programs, construction etc etc. I mean, there is no doubt that Beijing is way ahead of schedule, so why isn;t this information filtering through to Gamesbids?

Is it because we are not really interested (are we just assuming that these games are going to be a phenomenon?), or is China that inpenetrable to outside media? Can someone enlighten me.

Guest ryan04
You are kidding me, it is two years away. Beijing's main focus right now is building the Olympic Games, not making a perfect website. Beijing will not have its full Olympic website till a few months before the Olympic begin.

You are kidding me, it is two years away. Beijing's main focus right now is building the Olympic Games, not making a perfect website. Beijing will not have its full Olympic website till a few months before the Olympic begin.

yea definately, their website was changed not long ago and it is a lot better than their old website!

In fact Chinese Website has many new information and English site is not active enough

what other information does the chinese website has? I also recieve newsletters from the website which are imformative as well

• 4 weeks later...

You missed the point. I'm not talking about the website...

I don't think there's any lack of news _ GamesBids posts a fair bit, I'm seeing a fair few features each week on various news sources and there also seems to be a fair balance between "hyping it up" articles and ones taking a more critical view _ at pollution problems, forced relocations and, yes, the issue of international press freedom during the games. Go through the GB news archives of the past few months and I'd be surprised there weren't roughly the same number of Beijing articles as, say, London, Vancouver etc.

I don't think there's any lack of news _ GamesBids posts a fair bit, I'm seeing a fair few features each week on various news sources and there also seems to be a fair balance between "hyping it up" articles and ones taking a more critical view _ at pollution problems, forced relocations and, yes, the issue of international press freedom during the games. Go through the GB news archives of the past few months and I'd be surprised there weren't roughly the same number of Beijing articles as, say, London, Vancouver etc.

yea i agree and as time goes on and the closer we get to the games the more exposure china will get!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, I'm wondering how they can reconcile "normal press freedoms" with "respect for Chinese law"?

BEIJING, May 18 Reuters - Media will have the same freedom they have enjoyed in other Olympic host cities when they cover the Beijing Games in 2008 but will have to respect Chinese law, the head of the IOC's inspection team said today.

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) this week called on the International Olympic Committee to address the ``Chinese government's continuing crackdown on the media'' with the authorities during this week's inspection visit.

Hein Verbruggen, whose IOC coordination commission has just concluded its inspection, said chief Beijing organiser Liu Qi - a member of the governing politburo - had last year reaffirmed China's commitment to allow journalists to work freely.

``It's a very important part of our discussions, a very important subject because the media is the largest group of people we're going to have here,'' he said.

``Including the technical people, it's going to be more than  20,000 people, double the number of athletes.

``We've demanded this by the host city contract, the media have to be able to work as they have at other Olympic Games.''

Verbruggen added that just as in the United States and his native Netherlands, there was no escaping obedience to local laws for reporters.

``In this country there are laws and they have to be respected,'' he said. ``That is something we have to accept and everybody has to accept.

``As long as the media behaves in the normal way, then I'm sure there will be no problems ... If it's in the law, then it is in the law.''

At least four Chinese journalists and Internet writers are expected to stand trial this month on various charges including extortion and blackmail, and inciting subversion.

Although local journalists have born the brunt of the crackdown, there are also restrictions on, and occasional harassment of, foreign media in China, the CPJ said.

REUTERS

Not really. In Beijing we are bombed by news of the Olympic everyday, like who becomes the new sponsor, new traffic policys, people compliants on these policys, which primary school organized some olympic-related activities, some elder centres organized English classes for the elders, air quality, blar blar balr.............

The Beijing Olympic Committee even issues its own newspaper "The First" Website Here to report all news on Beijing 2008 and to introduce Olympic-related knowledges.

Beijing is flooded by Olympic. The point is that most information are in Chinese. If you can read Chinese you will soon get tired of it, saying "Oh come on it's Olympic again..." :help:  :help:  :help:

Beijing is flooded by Olympic. The point is that most information are in Chinese. If you can read Chinese you will soon get tired of it, saying "Oh come on it's Olympic again..." :help:  :help:  :help:

LOL _ same as in Sydney in the lead up to 2000. Even for a huge Olympics fan like myself, it sometimes got a bit too much!

You know what? Yesterday I saw a promotion stall of a Mongalian mike (Yili, an Olympic sponsor see their WEBSITE). It receives new order of daily delivery service with a discount, and the reason is to "share the passion of Olympic"!

The most popular beer in China, Tsingdao Beer, has also become the sponsor, so in ALOT of restaurants you can see their posters with huge Beijing 2008 logo. See THIS

And censorship.... well, I don't think the government will change their policy sharply before 2008. But for the locals it doesn't really matter, coz most local inetnet users know how to get the information they want out of the blocking, and the poeple know much more than our imagine.

Of coz I hope the government will cancell the censorship too.

<font color='#000080'>Not really. In Beijing we are bombed by news of the Olympic everyday, like who becomes the new sponsor, new traffic policys, people compliants on these policys, which primary school organized some olympic-related activities, some elder centres organized English classes for the elders, air quality, blar blar balr.............

The Beijing Olympic Committee even issues its own newspaper "The First" Website Here to report all news on Beijing 2008 and to introduce Olympic-related knowledges.

Beijing is flooded by Olympic. The point is that most information are in Chinese. If you can read Chinese you will soon get tired of it, saying "Oh come on it's Olympic again..." :help:  :help:  :help:</font>

is there an english version of the website?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived