Even ympic Museum in Olympia

For those of you who dont know what I am talking about, there is an Olympic Museum in Olympia (Ancient Olympia) that exhibits artifacts concerning the modern Olympic Games and as such should not be confused with the Museum of Ancient Olympia that exhibites artifacts concerning the ancient Olympic Games.

So . . On my visit there a week ago, I felt it to be somewhat a mess:

1) There certain artifacts such as torches, cauldrons, posters, pictures etc. from every Summer & Winter Olympiad but not in equal amount. Some Olympiads are given more attention than others for no particular reason.

2) For this Olympic Museum, the Olympics stopped somewhat between Los Angeles and Seoul and Calgary. There is absolutely NOTHING from Barcelona, Albertville, Lillhammer, Nagano, Sydney, Salt Lake or Athens. Just a torch from each one somewhere in the back of another exhibit. Even in the records wall inside the Museum, time has stopped in 1992. There is a blank "1996" underneath it. There's no Albertville either.

3) There is no normal historical flow - you can jump Moscow to Tokyo.

4) There is a HUGE pin collection. However, there is no chronological order - displayed in a random order. Too many Moscow pins (did Moscow really create so many differebt pins?) and many non-Olympic pins that didnt fit there.

5) The history of Greek athletic associations or relative documents cannot be considered "Olympic" or even of exhibition interest.

6) The building is in a really bad situation and I doubt whether the exhibits are being preserved properly.

I asked the . . "security guard" who owns the Museum and he replied that it was property of the Greek Olympic Commitee. However, not very far from there - near the ancient stadium - there is a big and wide property of the IOC well guarded, nicely lit during the night and well taken care of, as far as I could say.

It's a disgrace. If the GOC cant make good use of the Museum, it should be closed! Should I send an e-mail to the IOC or what?

Well, I don't know about this Olympic Museum. With the IOC, the "main" one is in Lausanne.

This museum sounds like a private one and not associated with any Olympic committee.  I would think that if it were the Greek committee would have brought it up to date before '04.

Indeed I think you should follow up.  It is especially galling that they have very little from Athens in there!

more info. The collection has the presents that the host cities of the Games give to the municipality (actually it's a community) of Ancient Olympia.

They will make that Athens 2004 Olympic Museum to a part of the IBC building next to the Olympic Stadium, and also there will be the IAAF museum.

Archived