Ceremonies on DVD

Ok, I'll admit I felt the need for some emotional release and watching an opening or closing ceremony will do it for me almost everytime. So tonight, I teared up watching the SLC opening ceremonies. Makes me look forward to a few more weeks for Torino, although I do truly wish that I could receive coverage other than just what will likely be a jingoistic, clips-type show that NBC seems to like.

(steps off soapbox)

To my main point: all my Olympic coverage is legally taped off of the television, but even the SLC tape has begun to degrade, so I'm actually afraid of what Calgary and Seoul look like. I can't believe that there are not DVDs available of the various ceremonies, but I can't seem to locate any. I'm not talking about "highlights" and "clips." I mean the actual real ceremonies.

Please help. I have an emotional connection and passion for these and I'd love to know what I can do to locate copies that will do better for posterity.

My thanks in advance.

I was planning to do that, but the problem is the quality of the DVD will be the same as the VHS copy. If I could find and purchase the ceremonies, my day would be easier and more fulfilled.

does the ioc sell copies of the olympic ceremonies?

I was planning to do that, but the problem is the quality of the DVD will be the same as the VHS copy. If I could find and purchase the ceremonies, my day would be easier and more fulfilled.

Nope.  That's peanuts for them.  The smallest transaction they make is, like the $150,000 deposit of the Winter bidding cities.  Can't be bothered with $20 purchases.  

Except for an occasional producer's copy, like I have for Salt Lake (and that's on VCR), and Sydney on DVD, the rest will have to come from privately taped sources.

So first, what is a producer's copy? And second, suggestions on how to access them?

Because Salt Lake's Opening was nominated for an Emmy 4 years ago, Don Mischer Productions (the company that staged the Ceremonies) distributed many copies of the Opening (using the Int'l feed version -- i.e., without any broadcast narration and minus the Parade of Nations) to voting members of the Television Academy.  Eventually, a few of these found their way onto eBay -- which is still your best bet if u r going to be real picky.

If you shop around on the likes of eBay or Amazon, you might be able to find copies of some of the more recent OCs on DVD, released by the various home broadcasters. In Australia, for example, the Sydney and Athens OCs are available on DVD, basically using the Channel 7 broadcast and commentary.

Nope.  That's peanuts for them.  The smallest transaction they make is, like the $150,000 deposit of the Winter bidding cities.  Can't be bothered with $20 purchases.  

Except for an occasional producer's copy, like I have for Salt Lake (and that's on VCR), and Sydney on DVD, the rest will have to come from privately taped sources.

i wish they did sell them i think quite a few people would purchase them

Athens 2004 released a 4-Disc set about a year ago.  It contains the Opening and Closing ceremonies, Official Highlights, and Greek Highlights (in Greek naturally).  For the Ceremonies, you can either have no commentary or Greek Commentary w/Englsh Subtitles.

The set costs about $80 USD, here's a place that you can find it:

GreekCity.com

Athens 2004 released a 4-Disc set about a year ago.  It contains the Opening and Closing ceremonies, Official Highlights, and Greek Highlights (in Greek naturally).  For the Ceremonies, you can either have no commentary or Greek Commentary w/Englsh Subtitles.

The set costs about $80 USD, here's a place that you can find it:

GreekCity.com

yea i brought that dvd set i thought that it was very good

Welcome to the board xtofer.

If you ever do transfer your tapes to dvd let me know.  I lost my Calgary opening/closing tape due to age as well and really want to get another copy of it.  I'll pay you - or maybe trade you a Los Angeles opening/closing dvd?

It's nice every now and then to go back and get a dose of what it is that made most of us into Olympic fanatics in the first place.

This weekend, at a loose end, I decided to sit and watch a DVD set I've had for a few months but hadn't got around to watching _ a three-DVD offering called The Olympic Series.

OlympicSeriesDVD.jpg

Don't know if it's available elsewheren but Australia, but it's VERY, VERY good. It's basically vignettes on the various athletes that have made the games what they are _ the great achievements, the rivalries, the celebrations and so on. Nothing dedicated to the ceremonies and so on, but there are the odd glimpses of them, and great footage of various stadiums during the competitions (gotta say, Montreal's looked great). And it's very even-handed nationality-wise _ indeed, you really couldn't tell ffrom just watching what country produced them (I still don't know _ I didn't look it up). Even the disk with the highlights of Sydney and Salt Lake City  (the only games on the disks to get their own separate section) looked far beyond the home athletes.

And the footage is great _ I was really blown out by the colour film stock from the Melbourne and Rome games _ much much more clearer, brighter and more vivid than some of the video footage from Los Angeles, Seoul or Barcelona!

I know I'm gushing, but I was really blown out by them. They were just sucjh a great reminder of the stories that make the Olympics great _ from Nuurmi to Kip Keino to Dawn Fraser to Bruce Jenner to Seb Coe to the Battles of the Carmens and the Bruces _ a perfect appetiser as we approach the start of another Olympic celebration.

It's nice every now and then to go back and get a dose of what it is that made most of us into Olympic fanatics in the first place.

This weekend, at a loose end, I decided to sit and watch a DVD set I've had for a few months but hadn't got around to watching _ a three-DVD offering called The Olympic Series.

OlympicSeriesDVD.jpg

Don't know if it's available elsewheren but Australia, but it's VERY, VERY good. It's basically vignettes on the various athletes that have made the games what they are _ the great achievements, the rivalries, the celebrations and so on. Nothing dedicated to the ceremonies and so on, but there are the odd glimpses of them, and great footage of various stadiums during the competitions (gotta say, Montreal's looked great). And it's very even-handed nationality-wise _ indeed, you really couldn't tell ffrom just watching what country produced them (I still don't know _ I didn't look it up). Even the disk with the highlights of Sydney and Salt Lake City  (the only games on the disks to get their own separate section) looked far beyond the home athletes.

And the footage is great _ I was really blown out by the colour film stock from the Melbourne and Rome games _ much much more clearer, brighter and more vivid than some of the video footage from Los Angeles, Seoul or Barcelona!

I know I'm gushing, but I was really blown out by them. They were just sucjh a great reminder of the stories that make the Olympics great _ from Nuurmi to Kip Keino to Dawn Fraser to Bruce Jenner to Seb Coe to the Battles of the Carmens and the Bruces _ a perfect appetiser as we approach the start of another Olympic celebration.

sounds great

Archived