COPENHAGEN WINS!

ard72

Close one for Copenhagen, I thought the cartoon row might have spoilt it for them. Without the cartoon row, maybe the victory would have been more straight forwardm much easier than the 59-40 ballot.

Shame though that at present Denmark is the most unpopular country in the islamic world, gives America and Israel some time off from being most unpopular/ most hated countries in the middle east.

When someone sees the round-by-round vote for the 2009 Congress, would you please post it here?  Yes, it was a secret vote, but these things have a way of getting out!

Thanks.

Great news....does anybody have the copenhagen bidbook for the ioc congress...?

I've searched for the bidbooks, but couldn't find then anywhere, maybe they aren't to be released in piblic

It is probably rather simple when compared to the Games.  I would think that all that is needed is a good conference centre, lots of good hotels, good financing, good hospitality, good transportation and of course security.  It is not like they are going to build anything special for this.  But still, would be interesting to have a look.
I've heard that the IOC plans to change the host of the Olympic Congress, because of the cartoons with Mohammed in Denmark

where did u hear this, Georghost?  

1.  I mean they shouldn't be carried away by that mob thinking.  I mean it's a free press and the work of one newspaper.

2.  If they were going to blackball Copenhagen, they should've done it BEFORE the vote.

3.  Then removing Copenhagen AFTER the FACT will be seen as a capitulation of the West to that idiotic islamic cult.

Then I think such a move would deeply divide the IOC.  And then they would have to call me to come and save the movement, huh?    

:wwww:

Hmmmm.

Anyway, I'm sure by 2009 most of us, even the Muslims among us, will have forgotten about these cartoons anyway - or found something else to debate hopefully.

I've heard that the IOC plans to change the host of the Olympic Congress, because of the cartoons with Mohammed in Denmark

where did u hear this, Georghost?  

1.  I mean they shouldn't be carried away by that mob thinking.  I mean it's a free press and the work of one newspaper.

2.  If they were going to blackball Copenhagen, they should've done it BEFORE the vote.

3.  Then removing Copenhagen AFTER the FACT will be seen as a capitulation of the West to that idiotic islamic cult.

Then I think such a move would deeply divide the IOC.  And then they would have to call me to come and save the movement, huh?    

:wwww:

I've read id in Bulgarian media, they say it was from international media...

I aggree completely with your statements, baron T.

It is probably rather simple when compared to the Games.  I would think that all that is needed is a good conference centre, lots of good hotels, good financing, good hospitality, good transportation and of course security.  It is not like they are going to build anything special for this.  But still, would be interesting to have a look.

well, it seams pretty obvious that it is more simple then hosting the actual game.

I dont know what you considder "anything special", but as part of the bid is the construction of a hotel, and today they say they may also construct a new 15.000 seat multiarena, to be ready in 2009, aswell as a general expansion of the copenhagen congress center. But sure, we are not talking big trafic investment and the likes of that.

About removing the congress from Copenhagen, i doubt that. If anything, the case have died down in the last few days. I believe they would have done something before the vote, if they wanted to.

• 1 year later...

At the Guatemala 2007 IOC Session, the preparations for the Copenhagen 2009 IOC Session will start.

At the Guatemala 2007 IOC Session, the preparations for the Copenhagen 2009 IOC Session will start.

Latest IOC article about Copenhagen 2009. Early next year, it seems that there will be an official website to the 13th Olympic Congress to be made, which will be held in the Danish capital and where the host city of the 2016 Olympic Games will be decided in July of that upcoming year.

Link: IOC-> 2009 Olympic Congress: First-Ever Public Consultation

ARTP_2230_898_big.jpg

Danish IOC member: Kai Holm

ARTP_2230_904_big.jpg

The First-Ever Olympic Congress, in 1981, at Baden-Baden, (West) Germany. This was the location, where Calgary (Canada) was chosen to host the 1988 Olympic Winter Games and Seoul (Korea) was chosen to host the 1988 Olympic Games (the Games of the XXIVth Olympiad).

ARTP_2230_905_big.jpg

The picture archive of the 1994 Olympic Congress, which was hosted in PARIS

Baden Baden was not the first olympic congress!

List of the Olympic Congresses:

1. 1894 - Paris (theme: Re-establishment of the Olympic Games)
  2. 1897 - Le Havre (Sports hygiene and pedagogy)
  3. 1905 - Brussels (Sports and physical education)
  4. 1906 - Paris (Arts, literature and sport)
  5. 1913 - Lausanne (Sports psychology and physiology)
  6. 1914 - Paris (Olympic Regulations)
  7. 1921 - Lausanne (Olympic Regulations)
  8. 1925 - Prague (Sports pedagogy - olympic regulations)
  9. 1930 - Berlin (Olympic regulations)
  10. 1973 - Varna (Sports for a world of peace - The Olympic Movement and its future)
  11. 1981 - Baden-Baden (United by and for sport)
  12. 1994 - Paris (Centennial Congress - Congress of Unity)

Baden Baden was not the first olympic congress!

List of the Olympic Congresses:

1. 1894 - Paris (theme: Re-establishment of the Olympic Games)
  2. 1897 - Le Havre (Sports hygiene and pedagogy)
  3. 1905 - Brussels (Sports and physical education)
  4. 1906 - Paris (Arts, literature and sport)
  5. 1913 - Lausanne (Sports psychology and physiology)
  6. 1914 - Paris (Olympic Regulations)
  7. 1921 - Lausanne (Olympic Regulations)
  8. 1925 - Prague (Sports pedagogy - olympic regulations)
  9. 1930 - Berlin (Olympic regulations)
  10. 1973 - Varna (Sports for a world of peace - The Olympic Movement and its future)
  11. 1981 - Baden-Baden (United by and for sport)
  12. 1994 - Paris (Centennial Congress - Congress of Unity)

Thanks for the correction, cfm Jeremie. I do not understand why I remembered it as such before. :mellow:

Well, we will do our best to get things ready for when the powerful Gents' arive...

It looks like that might actually get to finich the first half of the hotel, where the IOC members are staying....

A quote from a IOC press release about Copenhagen 2009:

Looking ahead: the 2009 Olympic Congress

"New means of communications were widely discussed in relation to the 13th Olympic Congress, to be held in Copenhagen in October 2009. This is the first Congress of the millennium, and the first one since the start of the digital revolution. Even if the Olympic Congress is primarily for the Olympic family, it is important that the IOC takes the pulse using the modern methods available to it, and in particular opens up to the public."

• 11 months later...

Do you think you have something to contribute to the Copenhagen 2009 IOC Congress by having a question, thoughts or ideas about how the Olympic Movement should achieve? If so, then read the link from the IOC website about becoming part of the VIRTUAL Olympic Congress.

Link: IOC: Virtual Olympic Congress Reaches First Target

L_ART_2597_uk.jpg

Archived