Sale and Pelletier Gold medal Performance

olympian

Just found this on the web in case anyone wants to relive this phenominal pairs performance.  

Outside of Gordeeva and Grinkov's '88 performance this is probably one of the best I have ever seen at an Olympics -

Sale/Pelletier at Salt Lake

I've seen this program several times and it just amazes me how one person tried to fix the results and the true winners initially got deprived before they got their due. After watching this and that of the Russians, its very clear that they won the gold not silver.

CTV, in Canada, is going to show a program called, "Ice Storm" next month. According to the preview commercial, it talks about the events leading to and after the Sale/Pelletier saga at SLC 2002.

Looks like CBC is getting on this Sale/Pelletier saga again. This week (not sure which day), the CBC National news program will have a documentary about them. And, guess what? She's BBAAACCCKKK! I'm not talking about Sale. If you know the whole story back then, you should know who I'm talking about.

Looks like CBC is getting on this Sale/Pelletier saga again. This week (not sure which day), the CBC National news program will have a documentary about them. And, guess what? She's BBAAACCCKKK! I'm not talking about Sale. If you know the whole story back then, you should know who I'm talking about.

You mean the decent Madame Le Gougne? OK, her three-year-ban is over now but at least she won't appear as judge at the Turin Olympics since that was also part of the ban.

You mean the decent Madame Le Gougne? OK, her three-year-ban is over now but at least she won't appear as judge at the Turin Olympics since that was also part of the ban.

Oh, yeah. It is her. But, from the preview from this CBC take, I think it is confirmed that SHE WILL BE A JUDGE at Torino 2006 for the pairs figure skating event again.

But her marks won't matter much.  In the new system, she will just be one of 14 judges; and then only 7 sets will actually count.  Plus, it's a whole new set of judges for both the short and the long programs.  Oh, to bring back the days of the figures and to have a separate category for costuming!!!

But her marks won't matter much.  In the new system, she will just be one of 14 judges; and then only 7 sets will actually count.  Plus, it's a whole new set of judges for both the short and the long programs.  Oh, to bring back the days of the figures and to have a separate category for costuming!!!

True. However, some people may never get used to that fact that she could judge again based on "principle", after all that has been done to her since SLC.

True. However, some people may never get used to that fact that she could judge again based on "principle", after all that has been done to her since SLC.

I'm surprised that: (1) the French FSA would submit her name again; (2.) that she would have the gall to show her face to her colleagues and not feel any tinge of shame (probably has the same coaches as Ben Johnson: Je suis framed!  Je suis framed!)  I mean the woman has no self-respect.  

That's too bad.  That's the ISU's fault for not imposing a lifetime ban so that the shameless ghosts of the past do NOT resurface.

I'm surprised that: (1) the French FSA would submit her name again; (2.) that she would have the gall to show her face to her colleagues and not feel any tinge of shame (probably has the same coaches as Ben Johnson: Je suis framed!  Je suis framed!)  I mean the woman has no self-respect.  

That's too bad.  That's the ISU's fault for not imposing a lifetime ban so that the shameless ghosts of the past do NOT resurface.

From that same preview, I don't think she is ashamed at all about her acts at SLC 2002. It looked liked it was "business as usual."

From that same preview, I don't think she is ashamed at all about her acts at SLC 2002. It looked liked it was "business as usual."

Indeed.  In 2002 it was still "business as usual."  The best thing to come out of that (outside of Sale and Pelletier getting their gold) is that the scoring system, which everyone has known for years was open to abuse, is now gone.  

I just cannot believe that the ISU would allow her back as a judge in Torino!

Sale and Pelletier married in Banff

BANFF, Alta. (CP) - Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, the Olympic pairs figure skating champions, were married in front of 100 guests during a private ceremony at the Fairmont Banff Springs on Friday.

"Today's ceremony was all I could have imagined and more," said Sale. "I sure love my husband."

Sale, 28, from Red Deer, Alta., and Pelletier, 31, of Sayabec, Que., began skating together in 1998. They won the world championship in 2001 in Vancouver.

At the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, the judges placed Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharuldize first but, when a scandal over how the verdict was arrived at broke out, gold medals also were awarded Sale and Pelletier. The Canadian champions quit competitive skating after the emotional rollercoaster of that experience. They have since starred in international ice shows.

"Jamie is my best friend and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with her," Pelletier said after exchanging vows.

The newlyweds were to spend the weekend with close family and friends before resuming their professional skating duties with Smucker's Stars On Ice in the United States next week. They'll tour Canada in the spring.

Ice Storm, a one-hour CTV documentary special on the 2002 fiasco, airs Jan. 7. The program is narrated by Canadian actor Colm Feore.

I got to see the mini-doc yesterday. Went through a bit of history about the events that led to the "biggest scandal in Olympic history."

As of now, both the Sale/Pelletier and the Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze teams are in professional competitions and acts. In fact, in some pictures, the both teams are seen doing their routines at the same time. On top of it, they both do not feel any malice toward each other. They agreed that they were put into awkward situations by persons unknown playing dirty tricks behind the scenes.

As for the French judge stuck in the middle of this mess, she is still in suspension over SLC, but she is odd attitude-wise. First, she does regret her actions then, but turns around 180-degrees and actually said that "her actions brought the scoring reforms" that resulted from forementioned scandal. Now, she is even waiting for the ISU president to welcome her back into the fold.

The British woman whistleblower who first raised the issue at SLC 2002, however, did not fare well and was expelled permanently from the ISU for trying to make the idea of forming a "rival federation" work.

All in all, almost everyone thinks that the new scoring system for the figure skaters will work in the long run, given that there are still a few issues to deal with. Oh, by the way, both S&P and B&S are going to be commentators for the figure skating events at Torino 2006. This will be interesting.  :;):

Sale and Pelletier married in Banff

BANFF, Alta. (CP) - Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, the Olympic pairs figure skating champions, were married in front of 100 guests during a private ceremony at the Fairmont Banff Springs on Friday.

"Today's ceremony was all I could have imagined and more," said Sale. "I sure love my husband."

Sale, 28, from Red Deer, Alta., and Pelletier, 31, of Sayabec, Que., began skating together in 1998. They won the world championship in 2001 in Vancouver.

At the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, the judges placed Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharuldize first but, when a scandal over how the verdict was arrived at broke out, gold medals also were awarded Sale and Pelletier. The Canadian champions quit competitive skating after the emotional rollercoaster of that experience. They have since starred in international ice shows.

"Jamie is my best friend and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with her," Pelletier said after exchanging vows.

The newlyweds were to spend the weekend with close family and friends before resuming their professional skating duties with Smucker's Stars On Ice in the United States next week. They'll tour Canada in the spring.

Ice Storm, a one-hour CTV documentary special on the 2002 fiasco, airs Jan. 7. The program is narrated by Canadian actor Colm Feore.

This is one program I can't wait to see what it has to say about the whole mess.

Archived