Moscow Questions

Ok, I am looking for a complete list of all the countries that used the Olympic flag instead of their own during the games.  Also I would like to know what countries didn’t march at the opening ceremonies.

What I know so far...

France, Australia and Great Britain used the Olympic flag.  Great Britain only had a flag bearer, no athletes.

**here is a pic of the opening ceremony that I scanned from a book, sorry it is so big!

image001a5bg.jpg

New Zealand also marched into the Moscow OC under the Olympic flag. I think it may have been the NZ Olympic flag that they used. I don't think NZ marched as an Olympic team either.

Australia had two flagbearers sharing the Olympic flag. A man and woman. One of whom was swimmer Max Metzger, who won bronze in the men's 1500m. I forgot who was the woman who carried it with Metzger.

New Zealand also marched into the Moscow OC under the Olympic flag. I think it may have been the NZ Olympic flag that they used. I don't think NZ marched as an Olympic team either.

Australia had two flagbearers sharing the Olympic flag. A man and woman. One of whom was swimmer Max Metzger, who won bronze in the men's 1500m. I forgot who was the woman who carried it with Metzger.

New Zealand only had 4 athletes competing in moscow and they were 3 athletes in canoeing and one in Modern Pentathlon. They all marched in the opening ceremony

This is from the NZOC:

1980 Moscow  

Politics again intervened in 1980. New Zealand, along with other western nations, boycotted the Moscow Olympics in response to the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan. Some New Zealanders did compete however as individuals

• 1 year later...

Archived