Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baron-pierreIV

1980 Ice Hockey tournament

I just watched the documentary "Do You Believe in Miracles - The story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey team", which was pretty good, but I have a question:

after defeating the ussr in the "semifinals" the u.s. faced finland. now the narator explained in the documentary that if they won the game, which they did, they would get the gold medal, but if they had lost they would have recieved no medal at all, and in fact, after they had lost to the u.s. finland did not recieve a medal as the silver went to the ussr and the bronze to sweden.

Can someone explain how the format for that tournament worked and how finland was left without a medal?

Very good question.  

I don't have the Wallachinsky book in front of me, and which I'm sure would give the explanation.  But my guess at this point is that it was based on 3 things:

1. the score differential;

2.  the fact that the US as host country won an automatic bye; and

3. the way the elimination and matches were set up.  

Will check later this evening w/ the W. book to confirm this.

before 1988 or 1992, can't remember the ice hockey went as such

10 teams

two groups - each with five teams

the five teams played each other

the top two teams advanced to the medal group

the four teams played each other

whomever had the most points at the end of the round won the gold

Sweden tied the USA, tied Finland, lost to USSR

USA beat USSR, Tied USA, beat Finland

Finland tied Sweden, lost to USA, lost to USSR

USSR lost to USA, beat Finland, beat Sweden

if the USA had lost to Finland, USSR would have gotten gold by beating Finland and the USA would have gotten bronze by goal difference

10 teams

if the USA had lost to Finland, USSR would have gotten gold by beating Finland and the USA would have gotten bronze by goal difference

Almost...

The games in the Pelim Rounted counted in the Medal Round

That Sweden-US Game was the first game for both teams..

How was "Do You Believe in Miracles - The story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey team"?  I have "Miracle" which is very good (especially the interview with members of the '80 team on Disk 2) but I heard the one you saw is better?

10 teams

Well, Faster, Lake Placid was way before 1988 and 1992.  Also, there were 12 teams playing in Lake Placid.

Group A: the US, Sweden, Czechoslovakia, Norway, Romania and Germany (I think the GDR);

Group B: USSR, Canada, Japan, Poland, Finland, (and either Austria or Switzerland)

your right baron, 12 not 10, sorry about that, and JD yest the games did carry over, though not really important since the desiding games was between USA-Finland

the 6th team in the second group was the Netherlands

How was "Do You Believe in Miracles - The story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey team"?  I have "Miracle" which is very good (especially the interview with members of the '80 team on Disk 2) but I heard the one you saw is better?

i enjoyed the documentary more than Miracle, but that's just my opinion.

Not to be an idiot, but wasn't the 1980 Olympic tournament the worst ever showing for Canada?

OK, here's what the Wallachinsky Winter book says:

"The teams were split into 2 round-robin divisions.  The first- and second-place teams in each division would then advance to a final round robin of 4 teams."

So somehow, because the US had a tie w/ Sweden, the US paired up v. USSR in the semifinal, and neighbors Sweden and Finland faced each other in the other semifinal.  Of the final 4, Finland was the weakest in terms of Wins - Losses - and Goals Fulfilled and Goals Allowed; Czechoslovakia had a better overall score.  But regardless, the US and the USSR would've still faced each other in a gold medal game -- and the result might've been different.  

Final 1980 Ice Hockey rankings:

Wins - Loss - Tie - GF - GA

1.   USA         6 - 0 - 1 - 33 - 15

2.  USSR        6 - 1 - 0  - 63 - 17

3.  Sweden    4 - 1 - 2 -  31 - 19

4.  Finland      3 - 3 - 1  - 31 - 25

5.  Czech       4 - 2 - 0 - 40 - 17

6.  Canada     3 - 3 - 1 - 29 - 18

7.  Poland

8. Romania

Now whether this was Canada's worst Olympic showing, I don't know, I am too sleepy to research.  Maybe Faster can find this out.

Not to be an idiot, but wasn't the 1980 Olympic tournament the worst ever showing for Canada?

no, in one of the tournements Canada didn't even play, 1976 i believe

no, in one of the tournements Canada didn't even play, 1976 i believe

In this case, I think it was 1972 AND 1976 that Canada didn't come with an ice hockey team because of the "amateur rules" then. Wanted then, as it is happening now as of 1998, to have "professionals" play in the Olympics. However, the IOC hierarchy didn't want any idea of it, so Canada didn't send a team to either Winter Games.

As for what I'm trying to say, in terms of PARTICIPATING in the Winter Olympics, was the 1980 one the worst Canadian showing ever? To me, I think it was the case.