Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardian

1924 Curling Results

Hello, I am new on this forum and I enjoy it already. I have a question for anyone who is on this forum. Someone said that the 1924 Curling results were officially added by the IOC to the medal tally. Does anyone know which other results were added the past few years?

Yeah. The 1924 curling results were recently made by the IOC as official ones.

Hello, I am new on this forum and I enjoy it already. I have a question for anyone who is on this forum. Someone said that the 1924 Curling results were officially added by the IOC to the medal tally. Does anyone know which other results were added the past few years?

Pascal, there are 1 or 2 others --

- like restoring the long lost medal of Jim Thorpe to his grandaughter

- I think they rectified the record or reinstated American swimmer Rick DuMond, after he took a banned drug -- but he had to for his asthma.

- and a handful of others.

My big Summer Wallachinksy book is still in boxes -- so I can't be too exact about these details.  

I'm just wondering when they will strip away the medals of the East German (wo)men during all those steroid years of Montreal and Moscow.

IOC rules stipulate that results can be contested within 3 years of the closing ceremony of any Olympic Games. After that, the only way that the results can be changed is if the concerned parties voluntarily surrender the medals in question.

The East German women should do the right thing and surrender their medals. It is the only sane thing to do.

Back on topic, the winners of the 1924 Olympic curling title (now official medalists) were Great Britain.

Thanks for the info thus far. But why did Great Britain get the gold medal after all? And maybe you are right about women from East Germany, but what about athletes from the USA or other countries in those days? The anti-doping agencies were not as good as they are today, if you had saved some urine-samples from those days, maybe 50% or even more would not have got through the dopinglaws.

Thanks for the info thus far. But why did Great Britain get the gold medal after all? And maybe you are right about women from East Germany, but what about athletes from the USA or other countries in those days? The anti-doping agencies were not as good as they are today, if you had saved some urine-samples from those days, maybe 50% or even more would not have got through the dopinglaws.

so it's all hypothetical and in the past.  Y worry about it then?

I'm don't worry about those medals. So many medals were false or incorrectly won, so I don't bother about the medals being won by women, who are genetically close to men.