Permanent Winter Olympics Location?

felixc

According to GamesBids.com . . .

A source close to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) told GamesBids.com that the IOC is considering designating a permanent city for the Olympic Winter Games – in Antarctica.

Hoping to dispense with the expensive, time consuming and often scandalous host city bid process, the IOC could develop its own Olympic City on land that would be designated international territory and be governed by the IOC and its Executive Committee. Development of the site would be funded by the over 200 national Olympic committees and their governments and ongoing costs would be maintained by the IOC. It would operate similarly to the United Nations in New York City.

I'm impartial to the idea of a permanent home of the Winter Olympics. But of all places, why Antarctica? :rock: I'm not sure the athletes or the media would agree with a permanent Winter Games in Antarctica. I know if I were an athlete I wouldn't be too happy.

I was waiting for a GB April Fools new story. But because we're a few hours ahead here in Blighty I thought the final paragraph of the 'Beijing 2008 Update' was it until I read the WOGs story!

Wu Jian, chief engineer of the State Forestry Administration said “without timely control, the moth may turn the green Olympics into a brown one by eating all the leaves from Beijing’s trees”.

C'mon, it could be couldn't it?!

I was waiting for a GB April Fools new story. But because we're a few hours ahead here in Blighty I thought the final paragraph of the 'Beijing 2008 Update' was it until I read the WOGs story!
Wu Jian, chief engineer of the State Forestry Administration said “without timely control, the moth may turn the green Olympics into a brown one by eating all the leaves from Beijing’s trees”.

C'mon, it could be couldn't it?!

yea it could be

Archived