Russia To Consider 2032 Olympic Games Bid

GBModerator

Russia could consider a bid for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid, it was reported Monday from Moscow. Website Sputnik wrote that Arkady Dvorkovich, Chairman of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Local Organizing Committee in Moscow said “Russia will continue hosting large sports tournaments, all our partners, international organizations know that we can do that. “As for the […]

The post Russia To Consider 2032 Olympic Games Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

With the "too early" current field of Malaysia/Singapore, India, and Brisbane.......Russia would be a shoe-in despite prior doping scandals, the IOC would trip over themselves to let the Russians spend lavishly again.  

For purely selfish reasons, Id hope St Petersburg was given a go.  SImply gorgeous city, like it way more than Moscow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

With the "too early" current field of Malaysia/Singapore, India, and Brisbane.......Russia would be a shoe-in despite prior doping scandals, the IOC would trip over themselves to let the Russians spend lavishly again.  

For purely selfish reasons, Id hope St Petersburg was given a go.  SImply gorgeous city, like it way more than Moscow.

I agree.  If the regional German bid fizzles (and, say, if China gets WC 2030), I think a serious St. Petersburg bid would be very strong -- and Russia builds their campaign around a sincere "We're sorry; won't happen again" theme PLUS WADA/the IOC have fool-proof measures in place to carry out the doping controls WITHOUT any loop-holes, Russia could have a shot @ it.  It would also be some 52 years after Moscow 1980.  So that 52 year stretch would equal the first two LA hostings: 1932 to 1984. 

Question though: was the St. Petersburg WC stadium convertible to a T&F stadium -- or would St. Pete have a build a new one?? (Have not watched any of the WC matches played in St. Pete.)   

Zenit Stadium in St.  Petersburg is a rectangular stadium without the ability to fit an athletics track. The old Kirov stadium which was demolished did have an athletics track. 

I doubt it would be an issue.  They'd build a state-of-the-art Olympic Stadium without regards to any kind of legacy. See Fisht Stadium in Sochi for a good example 

• Like 1

Petrovsky Stadium is a really nice athletics stadium. (StadiumDB) It's a shame it's surrounded by water or they could go with the original London plan of a 55,000 temporary seat tier built over a 25,000 seat permanent stadium. I really think that is the most economical way of handling the main stadium. But Petersburg would likely have to build a white elephant instead.

4 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Are we seriously thinking this trash country has a shot at hosting considering their meddling in countless electiond across Europe, as well as the US, and all other political/international scandals?

I had myself a good chuckle for that defending of the sanctity of the IOC, thank you for that.  I think the previously discussed theory of "we are very.......very sorry, let us make this up to you" Is more than plausible, and the IOC loves a party that has a seemingly unrestricted cash flow.

It is early days, but Germany's current brainchild is stretched too then, Brisbane would be overwhelmed by traffic, India.........possible......appealing because theyve never hosted it before and i dont discount them, Singapore/Malaysia seems like it was merely two political figureheads letting their dreams go wild, and Egypt well.......is Egypt.

So yes, when you consider all of those things.  Id put it currently at India and Russia of all the names mentioned.

6 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Are we seriously thinking this trash country has a shot at hosting considering their meddling in countless electiond across Europe, as well as the US, and all other political/international scandals?

Are we seriously thinking there will be much legit competition?  I'd love another Australian Games but Brisbane won't get it done.  Shanghai?  Unlikely at this point.  Toronto? Probably not/  India? Good luck with that. Egypt?  Well - there is a stable democracy...  Pull your head in.

22 minutes ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Are we seriously thinking there will be much legit competition?  I'd love another Australian Games but Brisbane won't get it done.  Shanghai?  Unlikely at this point.  Toronto? Probably not/  India? Good luck with that. Egypt?  Well - there is a stable democracy...  Pull your head in.

Toronto? There's another joke of a bid! I hate Russia with a passion, but even I can see them hosting a summer games before Toronto does! :lol:

10 hours ago, Nacre said:

Petrovsky Stadium is a really nice athletics stadium. (StadiumDB) It's a shame it's surrounded by water or they could go with the original London plan of a 55,000 temporary seat tier built over a 25,000 seat permanent stadium. I really think that is the most economical way of handling the main stadium. But Petersburg would likely have to build a white elephant instead.

None of Russia's new stadiums built for the World Cup have an athletics track nor have the ability to put one in. Even Luzhniki had its track permanently removed as part of its renovation. But Putin would have no issue with building a 60,000+ stadium that would become a white elephant afterwards. The Sochi Stadium sat vacant since the WOGS and has only just now gotten a tenant, a second tier Russian football team that won't come close to filling it. And I highly doubt they'd go with the much talked about but unproven temporary stadium either which has shown to largely be a failed concept.

In 2032, even the bidding in 2025, it wont be Putin.  Itll be Medvedev, Shoigu, someone else Putin-built if it stays current track, and this will be an important "legacy" checkmark for the new ruler to fulfill, so I think they'll go full steam into it.  No one is saying Russia is a bunch of darlings, but with the winter olympics and now the world cup, theyve got the reputation and know-how to pull events like this off, and those credentials are almost as important to the IOC as the blank checks that the Russians would provide.

Again, purely from a selfish standpoint, I absolutely love St. Petersburg as a city.  So much to do there, eternally better than Moscow IMO.  Its busy, but its not the zoo that Moscow is, people actually have a degree of warmth to them........by Russian standards.  There is so much to do there, it would also check off the "Europe" box the IOC has been trying to hit the past few years with its European feel.  

34 minutes ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

No one is saying Russia is a bunch of darlings, but with the winter olympics and now the world cup, theyve got the reputation and know-how to pull events like this off, and those credentials are almost as important to the IOC as the blank checks that the Russians would provide.

I'd like to think the IOC would want to erase any memory of the WOG credentials, if it could, at this stage.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't put it past them to fall for Russia again, especially if the likes of...LOL...Cairo are the only ones showing up for real.

4 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

Again, purely from a selfish standpoint, I absolutely love St. Petersburg as a city.  So much to do there, eternally better than Moscow IMO.  Its busy, but its not the zoo that Moscow is, people actually have a degree of warmth to them........by Russian standards.  There is so much to do there, it would also check off the "Europe" box the IOC has been trying to hit the past few years with its European feel.  

I'm pretty sure Paris 2024 will cover this point...

It takes just one real sincere bid from someone like Rome to make this a real race, but in the "too early" race, with the bids we know now, Id put a St Pete bid at the top of any of these (or Moscow again for that matter if they want to go that route, but all previous indicators are they want to get St Petersburg in)

1 hour ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

After the World Cup going off without a hitch, they have even stronger, more appealing credentials that show the IOC, yes, we can handle this easily from a logistical and security stand point.

I don‘t think logistics or security are the reasons why there would be serious doubts about Russia hosting.

Their reasoning of not going after 2032 afterall is goofy. What does Paris hosting 2024 have to do with it? Didn’t stop London, Paris, Madrid & Moscow to go after 2012, & ultimately London winning, despite Athens hosting 2004. And Germany is looking into a 2032 bid, despite Paris 2024. And considering how much trouble the IOC is having in maintaining European bids in the bid races these days, I doubt that they’ll be turning their backs on any 2032 Euro bids anyway. There must be more to it than just that.

Absolutely agree, and they seem to have something up their sleeves here, perhaps the hush agreement is already in.  Why would they say 2036 and not 2032?  Id like to think the IOC is more sinister and has a patsy already on deck  in 2032 from the currently disappointing field that we dont already know about........  I get the feeling everyone's old buddy Erdogan finally........finnnnnnnaallllly gets his cherished bid accepted for 2032 if geographical criteria is all a sudden important again.  Istanbul 2032, St Pete 2036 has a kind of IOC feel to it.

8 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

Absolutely agree, and they seem to have something up their sleeves here, perhaps the hush agreement is already in.  Why would they say 2036 and not 2032?  Id like to think the IOC is more sinister and has a patsy already on deck  in 2032 from the currently disappointing field that we dont already know about........  I get the feeling everyone's old buddy Erdogan finally........finnnnnnnaallllly gets his cherished bid accepted for 2032 if geographical criteria is all a sudden important again.  Istanbul 2032, St Pete 2036 has a kind of IOC feel to it.

I wouldn't give much thought to the fact it mentions 2036.  Is that really reason to believe there are ulterior motives and something cooking behind the scenes?  Because Russia says so?  Given the troubles the IOC is having for finding a bidder for 2026 and that there were 0 cities that stayed in the running for 2024/2028 who didn't walk away with the Olympics, I doubt they have a plan in place for 2032.  The earliest that's likely to be on the table for them is 4-5 years from now.  Erdogan might not be in power by then.  Istanbul than St. Petersburg?  Possible, but given the climate of a lack of bidders, especially European bidders, for the Winter Games, that seems like a stretch to think 2 cities from a continent where cities are dropping like flies will get successive Olympics.  Let alone that the IOC already has the wheels in motion for this.

If Baku Azerbaijan get's and host the 2025 World Expo they could easy get in a bid to host the 2032 Summer Games, So if Baku get's the 2032 games it will rule out the Russian and Turkish bid for the 2036 games, Azerbaijan seems to be the moderate liberal Islamic country now the IOC if having to chooses between Istanbul and Baku I think they will be more likely to go to Baku if the 2025 World Expo goes very well and the host city get's picked in 2025 Baku 2032 sounds very good.

Baku could host both the Summer and Winter Games the ski resorts are 3 hours away from Baku so if Western Europe fails to bid for 2032 games Azerbaijan with being a member of the European Olympic Committee they could tick Europe of with Baku 2032.