mountainboarder_530@yahoo.

Erzurum 2026: this is looking like a thing, but is it possible and what would it look like?

So Europe is once again predictably folding like a lawn chair, sapporo is getting wet feet at 2026 and wants to wait til 2030, and Calgary pretty much needs literally everything to go right for them to secure 2026.  We have to face the facts that there is probably a 50/50 chance this thing is hosted in Turkey.  So lets assume, Turkey is announced.  Can they take this thing on? 

Geopolitics aside, is this possible from an infrastructure/performance standpoint?  Erdogan will throw all the cash and prestige he can at it for it to be successful.  

There are plenty of negatives, but what are possibly some pie-in-the-sky positives?  Well, from what I see, unlike Beijing, it has real, actual mountains........but are the mountains near the resort up to the standards required for the Olympics?  Is the snow consistent and of good quality?   It could bring some Muslim countries into the fold making it mildly more interesting to them (though i feel thats a stretch and would be minimal).  More likely, it could be used as an example of stimulating infrastructure. If Turkey gets it, I also imagine it would go sensationally over budget making Project 2020 look more and more like a ruse.  Turkey will build all arenas necessary, they will build the luge tracks, they will build the ski jumps, they will build the rail (possibly high speed rail) to get it there.  They will be on the highest of high alerts for terrorism, just like Russia was in Sochi for both the Olympics and the World Cup.  How volatile is the region to extremism?

What does it mean during and afterwards?  The IOC holds their nose and dives in, knowing the USA safety valve is in 2030.  They go two ways; either reform even more, put more money up front for the hosts..........  or they just abandon 2020 altogether and encourage "new winter sports nations" to take on the project (that rotate heavily in the caucus and central asian regions).

what are some other questions that need to be asked if this happens?  probably obvious questions im overlooking.

The IOC can change the rules on the dates and allow the Southern Hemisphere to host the Winter Games after 2023 Pan American Games Santiago Chile could be ready to host the Winter Games the only things that they will have to build is a speed stating arena, snow venues and a sliding centre

JAS Jr is working very behind the doors in getting a bid from Barcelona up in running if all else fails for the 2026 Winter Games is JAS Jr making rounds for the 2021 IOC Presidential election to become the IOC President?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1066887/talks-underway-over-resurrecting-possible-barcelona-bid-for-winter-olympics

Well, the sanctions are certainly biting turkey hard.  The Lira is in free fall, at 5.27 to the dollar.  When I went to Istanbul after the bombings in 2017, I thought I was getting away with highway robbery when the Lira was at 4 (5 bucks for a 5 star right next to the blue mosque was hard to say no to).  But now with all the knocks Erzurum has going for it, economic stability is now very much one of them.  

But dictators persist.......  I think probably the worst part about if for the IOC is it makes any reform look like a ruse, because you know Erdogan is going to pull out all the stops and put on the pomp and write the blank checks (like Sochi, a LOT is going to be needed to be built from scratch; which will of course drive Europeans even further away from wanting to host the games than they are.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:05 PM, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

So Europe is once again predictably folding like a lawn chair, sapporo is getting wet feet at 2026 and wants to wait til 2030, and Calgary pretty much needs literally everything to go right for them to secure 2026.  We have to face the facts that there is probably a 50/50 chance this thing is hosted in Turkey.  So lets assume, Turkey is announced.  Can they take this thing on? 

Geopolitics aside, is this possible from an infrastructure/performance standpoint?  Erdogan will throw all the cash and prestige he can at it for it to be successful.  

There are plenty of negatives, but what are possibly some pie-in-the-sky positives?  Well, from what I see, unlike Beijing, it has real, actual mountains........but are the mountains near the resort up to the standards required for the Olympics?  Is the snow consistent and of good quality?   It could bring some Muslim countries into the fold making it mildly more interesting to them (though i feel thats a stretch and would be minimal).  More likely, it could be used as an example of stimulating infrastructure. If Turkey gets it, I also imagine it would go sensationally over budget making Project 2020 look more and more like a ruse.  Turkey will build all arenas necessary, they will build the luge tracks, they will build the ski jumps, they will build the rail (possibly high speed rail) to get it there.  They will be on the highest of high alerts for terrorism, just like Russia was in Sochi for both the Olympics and the World Cup.  How volatile is the region to extremism?

What does it mean during and afterwards?  The IOC holds their nose and dives in, knowing the USA safety valve is in 2030.  They go two ways; either reform even more, put more money up front for the hosts..........  or they just abandon 2020 altogether and encourage "new winter sports nations" to take on the project (that rotate heavily in the caucus and central asian regions).

what are some other questions that need to be asked if this happens?  probably obvious questions im overlooking.

Let's be fair about 1 thing here.. in the event Erzuzum does somehow wind up with the 2026 Olympics, it's not going to be a case for or against Agenda 2020.  What gets lost in translation a lot is that the whole point of the reforms is to adjust to the city involved, not just to have a set of policies that lowers costs.  Erzuzum 2026 would be a one off, the same way that we view the costs of Sochi and Beijing 2008.  Although Tokyo isn't helping matters.  What's scaring off other cities is not the specter of having to match them, but rather how undesirable it is to get in bed with the IOC.  If Erzuzum does that, then that's on them.  And it's the IOC's problem if other cities/countries are scared off by that.  I don't think either way it will be a statement on where the Winter Olympics are headed.  That's going to be determined by who does or doesn't bid and we can be sure the IOC will even more desperately be in search of more traditional Winter sports nations after that. 

On 7/3/2018 at 8:44 AM, Olympianfan said:

The IOC can change the rules on the dates and allow the Southern Hemisphere to host the Winter Games after 2023 Pan American Games Santiago Chile could be ready to host the Winter Games the only things that they will have to build is a speed stating arena, snow venues and a sliding centre

JAS Jr is working very behind the doors in getting a bid from Barcelona up in running if all else fails for the 2026 Winter Games is JAS Jr making rounds for the 2021 IOC Presidential election to become the IOC President?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1066887/talks-underway-over-resurrecting-possible-barcelona-bid-for-winter-olympics

LOL.. all they have to build is speed skating, and every mountain venue.  Yea, that's a lot.

Please stop bringing up every other idea of yours into every thread.  We've heard your case for a Winter Olympics in the southern hemisphere. You need not continue to bring it up.  And note that the article you linked there is over a month old.  Try finding something more recent.

20 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

And note that the article you linked there is over a month old.  Try finding something more recent.

Did you not notice that they posted that over a month ago (not to mention that the thread is over a month as well)? While said poster is way out there with their ideas (personally, I think it’s just some 12-year old), but don’t ding him/her for an out-of-date article when it was only four days old when they linked it here.

7 minutes ago, FYI said:

Did you not notice that they posted that over a month ago (not to mention that the thread is over a month as well)? While said poster is way out there with their ideas (personally, I think it’s just some 12-year old), but don’t ding him/her for an out-of-date article when it was only four days old when they linked it here.

I did not notice that.  My bad, thought this was a new-ish thread.  If only we could edit posts here without having to pay for it.  And yes, I still agree with the assessment someone made earlier that poster really loves architecture.

12 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

If only we could edit posts here without having to pay for it. 

I agree. I remember when it was a ONE-time fee of $9.95. I procrastinated - then when I finally decided to do it, it became a one-time fee of $14.95. I procrastinated again . And when I decided a second time - , sure I’ll do it - it became a *yearly*-fee of $14.95. Then I said, screw it.

Why pay for the “privilege” of editing posts & the “premium members lounge” (like some high school clique :rolleyes:), especially when the website now gets money from advertising anyway, which in the past I think that was I on the very low scale, & I could’ve understood the fee back then. 

• Like 1