The signs of a legacy?

Faster

"ATHENS, Aug. 2 (Xinhuanet) -- The northern Greek city of Thessaloniki was chosen to host the 2006 European Cup in Athletics- formerly known as the Bruno Zauli Cup - the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced on Tuesday, only one day after Athens won the bid of 2006 IAAF World Cup in Athletics."

Also in the agenda is a proposition for Greece to join the F1 circuit plus a potential bid for Euro 2012.

i don't see how F1 and the Olympics go together

not to mention with a 20 race calendar now, i am not sure FIS will be looking for new races

Australia

Malaysia

Spain

Monaco

Europe (if became German)

Canada

USA

France

Britain

Italy

Brazil

Japan

China

will all remain on the calander, they races are too successful, to historical, and too profitable to get ride of

Bahrain

Hungary

Belgium

Turkey

Germany

San Marino

could all fall by the weigh side, but more likely replacements would be Russia, South Africa, Sweden, Morocco, and than try to get the calendar back to 16 races

not to mention with a 20 race calendar now, i am not sure FIS will be looking for new races

Australia

Malaysia

Spain

Monaco

Canada

USA

France

Britain

Italy

Brazil

Japan

China

will all remain on the calander, they races are too successful, to historical, and too profitable to get ride of

Bahrain

Hungary

Belgium

Turkey

Germany

San Marino

could all fall by the weigh side, but more likely replacements would be Russia, South Africa, Sweden, Morocco, and than try to get the calendar back to 16 races

After this year's "race" there is some question about the future of the US event.

Turkey and Bahrain's races are quite new - so I am sure the F1 Corp will allow them to continue a few years so they can build up a following.  Plus I doubt they'll take the race out of the Gulf - too much money.

Those new races are all bound by a contract to stage the F1 for at least 5-7 years. So I guess they will be on the calendar for a while...

Well, Athens did try to get the World Aquatic Championships. However, it could try again for the 2011 or later versions, but it could be seen as too close to Rome (as this city won the 2009 edition).

5 Aug 2005

At their traditional meeting held every two years on the eve of the Athletics World Championships, the IOC Executive Board and the IAAF Council discussed today in Helsinki a series of items of common interest.

The two bodies reflected on the success of the Athens Games, a success that was witnessed at all levels through faultless organisation, high-quality venues for the athletes and unprecedented television coverage.

Ancient Olympia Reopens Gates

05 Aug 2005 15:58:00  

After last year’s rebirth of shot put in Ancient Olympia, the sacred land that hosted the first Olympics in 776 BC will reopen its gates. Today it was decided that one track and field event should take place in Ancient Olympia annually. This was announced by the President of the IOC, Jacques Rogge, from Helsinki, which is getting prepared for the start of the World Track and Field Championships. The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) spokesperson Nick Davis stated that the first event will take place in May 2006, and that the games will possibly be shot put, discus and hammer throw.

Australia

Malaysia

Spain

Monaco

Canada

USA

France

Britain

Italy

Brazil

Japan

China

Bahrain

Hungary

Belgium

Turkey

Germany

San Marino

WTF is F1?  Is that some date-rape drug?  

And Faster, do you do anything else aside from keeping tally of all sports events?  Oh, it's vacation time, I forget.

5 Aug 2005

At their traditional meeting held every two years on the eve of the Athletics World Championships, the IOC Executive Board and the IAAF Council discussed today in Helsinki a series of items of common interest.

The two bodies reflected on the success of the Athens Games, a success that was witnessed at all levels through faultless organisation, high-quality venues for the athletes and unprecedented television coverage.

Ancient Olympia Reopens Gates

05 Aug 2005 15:58:00  

After last year’s rebirth of shot put in Ancient Olympia, the sacred land that hosted the first Olympics in 776 BC will reopen its gates. Today it was decided that one track and field event should take place in Ancient Olympia annually. This was announced by the President of the IOC, Jacques Rogge, from Helsinki, which is getting prepared for the start of the World Track and Field Championships. The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) spokesperson Nick Davis stated that the first event will take place in May 2006, and that the games will possibly be shot put, discus and hammer throw.

One track and field event? How would they choose which one(s)?

about the F1 circuit.

The guy that controls the F1, wants to give Athens one of the races. He sent 6 times his represantives to exam all locations in Greece, and the want the Hellenicon area (the former airport - Canoe Cayak facitility, the archery stadium etc).

BUT!

The greek government doesn't want (why?) to give them this area, and they propose other areas near Athens.

The boss of F1 will come sometime before or after the Istanbul race to talk with the prime minister for this matter.

Archived