Jump to content

North America Elected To Host 2026 FIFA World Cup


Recommended Posts

Cities across Canada, United States and Mexico will play host to the the FIFA World Cup in 2026, the organization’s member nations voted Wednesday at their Congress in Moscow on the eve the 2018 edition is set to kick off across Russia. A “United 2026″ bid representing the three North American nations defeated a bid […]

The post North America Elected To Host 2026 FIFA World Cup appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dezcrafty said:

I honestly feel bad for Morocco. Though they weren't exactly the best technical bid, I still really wanted them to win (Even though I'm from the USA). 

Don't feel bad for Morocco.  They're spared having to spend $16 billion on stadiums they probably wouldn't get much return on after the World Cup.  FIFA made the correct choice here for all involved.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

At least by then, the madman will be out of office, so maybe the relations with the northern and southern neighbors will start to normalise again.

Maybe?  Unless he's unaware of term limits, he'll be long gone by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dezcrafty said:

Just looked, Tulsa isn't part of the potential host cities list :(

 

Did you really think they had a chance? It's considered part of Trumptard country no way in hell theh would have made it one of the finalist cities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

Did you really think they had a chance? It's considered part of Trumptard country no way in hell theh would have made it one of the finalist cities.

I can't tell if the post is being serious or sarcastic.  Either way, best to ignore it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't be a big deal anyway, with the 48-team expansion. Isn't CONCACAF going to get 6 places overall, plus a 7th going to play-offs? Still leaves three to four available. That's more than enough, I'd say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Olympianfan said:

Now that North America is hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Would FIFA go to the last remaining continent which has not hosted the FIFA World Cup in 2030 to Australia and New Zealand?  

Those two are way too far from each other.  The viable bids are those of contiguous countries -- not separated by several hours of over-the-ocean flights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Those two are way too far from each other.  The viable bids are those of contiguous countries -- not separated by several hours of over-the-ocean flights. 

Miami-Mexico City is also several hours of flying over the ocean, and only very marginally shorter than Sydney-Auckland.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SYD-AKL,+MIA-MEX

It is crazy that Americans are criticizing the idea of traveling across Australasia, Africa or Europe while ignoring the similarly massive distances that will have to be traveled in the pan-North America world cup. 

Edited by Nacre
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Olympianfan said:

Now that North America is hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Would FIFA go to the last remaining continent which has not hosted the FIFA World Cup in 2030 to Australia and New Zealand?  

I think Argentina-Uruguay-Paraguay called dibs on that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 8:17 AM, Nacre said:

Miami-Mexico City is also several hours of flying over the ocean, and only very marginally shorter than Sydney-Auckland.

But what makes you think that there will be a Miami - Mexico City connection?  :huh:   It's possible that the teams advancing from Mexico will proceed to LA or to Dallas and to Houston -- so there is the overland connection.  You're assuming a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But what makes you think that there will be a Miami - Mexico City connection?  :huh:   It's possible that the teams advancing from Mexico will proceed to LA or to Dallas and to Houston -- so there is the overland connection.  You're assuming a lot. 

My point is that the distances involved in a North American world cup are only marginally shorter than an Australasian world cup. It's not like substituting New York or Chicago for Miami would make that flight any shorter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nacre said:

My point is that the distances involved in a North American world cup are only marginally shorter than an Australasian world cup. It's not like substituting New York or Chicago for Miami would make that flight any shorter.

My point is there is a vast difference between a contiguous land mass where FANS can take whatever conveynace they want and CHOOSE how to enjoy the host country and one where you try to do a sleight-of-hand and say well, a major ocean doesn't make a hill of beans.  It's NOT just measuring the flying time.  If that were the case, then why not pick 10 islands that are equidistant from each other -- and see if that would get high rankings from FIFA?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

My point is there is a vast difference between a contiguous land mass where FANS can take whatever conveynace they want and CHOOSE how to enjoy the host country and one where you try to do a sleight-of-hand and say well, a major ocean doesn't make a hill of beans.  It's NOT just measuring the flying time.  If that were the case, then why not pick 10 islands that are equidistant from each other -- and see if that would get high rankings from FIFA?? 

Miami to Mexico City is a three day drive, and roughly a week by train. (Miami-DC-El Paso-Mexico City) It takes at least three days to take Amtrak across the US and three to four days to drive across the USA if you are driving 10-14 hours per day. It is extraordinarily unlikely that a world cup fan will choose to use any form of transit other than aircraft for anything other than short trips like Boston-New York.

Edited by Nacre
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...