North America Elected To Host 2026 FIFA World Cup

GBModerator

Cities across Canada, United States and Mexico will play host to the the FIFA World Cup in 2026, the organization’s member nations voted Wednesday at their Congress in Moscow on the eve the 2018 edition is set to kick off across Russia. A “United 2026″ bid representing the three North American nations defeated a bid […]

The post North America Elected To Host 2026 FIFA World Cup appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

2 hours ago, Dezcrafty said:

I honestly feel bad for Morocco. Though they weren't exactly the best technical bid, I still really wanted them to win (Even though I'm from the USA). 

Don't feel bad for Morocco.  They're spared having to spend $16 billion on stadiums they probably wouldn't get much return on after the World Cup.  FIFA made the correct choice here for all involved.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

At least by then, the madman will be out of office, so maybe the relations with the northern and southern neighbors will start to normalise again.

Maybe?  Unless he's unaware of term limits, he'll be long gone by then.

46 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

Did you really think they had a chance? It's considered part of Trumptard country no way in hell theh would have made it one of the finalist cities.

I can't tell if the post is being serious or sarcastic.  Either way, best to ignore it.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Olympianfan said:

Now that North America is hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Would FIFA go to the last remaining continent which has not hosted the FIFA World Cup in 2030 to Australia and New Zealand?  

Those two are way too far from each other.  The viable bids are those of contiguous countries -- not separated by several hours of over-the-ocean flights. 

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Those two are way too far from each other.  The viable bids are those of contiguous countries -- not separated by several hours of over-the-ocean flights. 

Miami-Mexico City is also several hours of flying over the ocean, and only very marginally shorter than Sydney-Auckland.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SYD-AKL,+MIA-MEX

It is crazy that Americans are criticizing the idea of traveling across Australasia, Africa or Europe while ignoring the similarly massive distances that will have to be traveled in the pan-North America world cup. 

Edited by Nacre

On 6/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Olympianfan said:

Now that North America is hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Would FIFA go to the last remaining continent which has not hosted the FIFA World Cup in 2030 to Australia and New Zealand?  

I think Argentina-Uruguay-Paraguay called dibs on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 8:17 AM, Nacre said:

Miami-Mexico City is also several hours of flying over the ocean, and only very marginally shorter than Sydney-Auckland.

But what makes you think that there will be a Miami - Mexico City connection?  :huh:   It's possible that the teams advancing from Mexico will proceed to LA or to Dallas and to Houston -- so there is the overland connection.  You're assuming a lot. 

13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But what makes you think that there will be a Miami - Mexico City connection?  :huh:   It's possible that the teams advancing from Mexico will proceed to LA or to Dallas and to Houston -- so there is the overland connection.  You're assuming a lot. 

My point is that the distances involved in a North American world cup are only marginally shorter than an Australasian world cup. It's not like substituting New York or Chicago for Miami would make that flight any shorter.

14 hours ago, Nacre said:

My point is that the distances involved in a North American world cup are only marginally shorter than an Australasian world cup. It's not like substituting New York or Chicago for Miami would make that flight any shorter.

My point is there is a vast difference between a contiguous land mass where FANS can take whatever conveynace they want and CHOOSE how to enjoy the host country and one where you try to do a sleight-of-hand and say well, a major ocean doesn't make a hill of beans.  It's NOT just measuring the flying time.  If that were the case, then why not pick 10 islands that are equidistant from each other -- and see if that would get high rankings from FIFA?? 

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

My point is there is a vast difference between a contiguous land mass where FANS can take whatever conveynace they want and CHOOSE how to enjoy the host country and one where you try to do a sleight-of-hand and say well, a major ocean doesn't make a hill of beans.  It's NOT just measuring the flying time.  If that were the case, then why not pick 10 islands that are equidistant from each other -- and see if that would get high rankings from FIFA?? 

Miami to Mexico City is a three day drive, and roughly a week by train. (Miami-DC-El Paso-Mexico City) It takes at least three days to take Amtrak across the US and three to four days to drive across the USA if you are driving 10-14 hours per day. It is extraordinarily unlikely that a world cup fan will choose to use any form of transit other than aircraft for anything other than short trips like Boston-New York.

Edited by Nacre