Sapporo Wants To Bid For 2030 Olympic Winter Games Instead Of 2026

GBModerator

Sapporo, one of seven cities to have expressed interest in bidding for the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games – has reportedly set its sights on the 2030 Games instead, according to local Japanese sources. Several Japanese news outlets including Kyodo News said Thursday, Sapporo officials have indicated to the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) that the […]

The post Sapporo Wants To Bid For 2030 Olympic Winter Games Instead Of 2026 appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Would the USOC really not care about 2030 bcuz of L.A. 2028? Since I would say that it’s the USOC angling for a double award, since they’re the ones who have let those 2030 intentions known to the IOC already. And they are also the ones who brought up the idea of a double-allocation to the IOC in the first place for 24/28 (& not some bias L.A. ‘journalist’ that claims he did). So the USOC is trying to go Olympic fishing again. The Japanese look like they’re simply trying to follow suit at this point, cuz they don’t want to be left out in the cold (pun intended).

If the USOC really didn’t care about 2030, then they would’ve ignored it all together (like they did with 2026) instead of making a declaration that 2030 is their “preferred” target. It’s not like having Games too close together has been a rough patch for the USOC before anyway. See 80/84 & 96/02. If they really didn’t care about 2030 bcuz they would be too busy with L.A. 2028 anyway, then they simply would’ve waited to make a move for 2034 instead.

I put the chances of Erzurum being the last one standing at 50/50 right now. All the European bids face either referendums or lack government support while Calgary seems to be dragging things out with the city council voting whether or not to continue the bid next month even before putting it to a referendum. If Erzurum is the only one left standing, as long as the bid fulfills the technical and security requirements, I think the IOC would have no choice but to swallow their pride and give Erzurum the 2026 WOGs. The IOC would have a PR nightmare on their hands if they were left with an Erzurum bid that met all the requirements and then tried to pull Salt Lake City into the mix.

I don’t see how Erzurum would meet any requirement, let alone ‘all’ of them, though. Security would be a huge issue right in the middle of such a volatile region. Infrastructure-wise, they pale in comparison to any other recent bid cities. And political stability wouldn’t be a strong-point in Turkey’s case ATM. I’d dare say now that if Almaty was in the mix again, that this would probably be theirs if everyone else bailed out. Perhaps they shouldn’t have refrained this time around. But Erzurum skates on very, very thin ice even with no one else to contend with.

To be fair it was for the best. Japan is also doing the 2026 Asian Games. After the RWC and the 2020 Olympics I wouldn't risk myself biting more than I could chew, unless you wanna end up like Brazil. 

However, though, this just complicates things to the IOC more than they already are.

Well, the Euro 2026 candidates can still squeeze by.  Right now, my betting is:

1.  I think Sion and the Austrian bids are neck-in-neck

2.  Stockholm is struggling; and

3.  the Italians are watching how the Swiss and Austrian bids play out.  

The IOC should up their contribution to $1.5 billion.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 5/13/2018 at 12:43 AM, FYI said:

Would the USOC really not care about 2030 bcuz of L.A. 2028? Since I would say that it’s the USOC angling for a double award, since they’re the ones who have let those 2030 intentions known to the IOC already. And they are also the ones who brought up the idea of a double-allocation to the IOC in the first place for 24/28 (& not some bias L.A. ‘journalist’ that claims he did). So the USOC is trying to go Olympic fishing again. The Japanese look like they’re simply trying to follow suit at this point, cuz they don’t want to be left out in the cold (pun intended).

If the USOC really didn’t care about 2030, then they would’ve ignored it all together (like they did with 2026) instead of making a declaration that 2030 is their “preferred” target. It’s not like having Games too close together has been a rough patch for the USOC before anyway. See 80/84 & 96/02. If they really didn’t care about 2030 bcuz they would be too busy with L.A. 2028 anyway, then they simply would’ve waited to make a move for 2034 instead.

A lot can happen between now and then. It was a hypothetical statement.  If Calgary gets 2026 then the USOC will more likely than not hold out until 2034.  If Europe somehow gets a city across the line for 2026 then I am sure Sapporo will reconsider further.  If the IOC says they are doing a double awarding then the USOC can't suddenly throw a hat in the ring.  A lot of variables.  Sapporo is positioning themselves as an easy choice to secure back to back Games awarding come vote time next year.