Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

New Poll Shows Sion 2026 Olympic Bid Gaining Support Ahead Of Referendum, Now At Almost 50 Percent

A poll released Friday has revealed that residents across Valais Canton in Switzerland are warming to the idea of a 2026 Olympic Winter Games bid in Sion. The survey conducted by M.I.S Trend Institute showed that 46 percent of voters would vote ‘yes’ to supporting an Olympic bid when a canton-wide referendum is held on June 10.  […]

The post New Poll Shows Sion 2026 Olympic Bid Gaining Support Ahead Of Referendum, Now At Almost 50 Percent appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

That's very interesting & encouraging - if a European bid passes a referendum that's transformative for the process :)

Let’s keep in mind though, that Oslo 2022 did indeed pass a referendum. Only to pull out well into the process. So I’m still not too convinced. It’s still shaky Swiss numbers.

Still enough time for the IOC to whisper sweet nothings to the Swiss voters.  And then give the Games to Italy!!!!!  YASS KWEEN!!!!! 2006 AGAIN!!!!!

If the Swiss, Swedes, Austrians or Norwegians get to the finish line, the IOC would be stupid to not give them the games. To finally get one of them to the day of voting and hand the Games back to Canada or Italy would be worse than giving the World Cup to Qatar.

Even if they can muster the 50 plus percent I would imagine that this would then have to go to a full nationwide referendum which is much shakier. If I recall correctly wasn't Innsbruck gaining in the polls for a yes vote only to fall apart?