Future Olympic Hosts

On 5/15/2024 at 5:54 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Istanbul will be a stretch (w/ more like an Istanbul-Ankara spread).  Ahmenabad is stupid.  Delhi would be their best bet.  2036 will go to Seoul and 2040 to Germany.  

All the sports investment is going into Ahmedabad. Especially with that new olympic park. Delhi/Mumbai would be great locations, but Modi is not giving those cities the investments they need to do well in the new norm era, or any era for that matter. Delhi and Mumbai just do not have that many suitable existing facilities.

I'm liking the Seoul-Germany-Istanbul transition. Very nice.

3 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

All the sports investment is going into Ahmedabad. Especially with that new olympic park. Delhi/Mumbai would be great locations, but Modi is not giving those cities the investments they need to do well in the new norm era, or any era for that matter. Delhi and Mumbai just do not have that many suitable existing facilities.

Delhi was building a new subway/monorail / new fly-overs when I was there.  That will count for something.  The hotels and embassies are there.  There is NOTHING in Ahmenabad.  Modi is sorely mistaken if he thinks his hick town will attract the majority of the IOC voters.  

30 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Modi is sorely mistaken if he thinks his hick town will attract the majority of the IOC voters.  

Where have I heard that one before! :lol:

But just a reminder, that the majority of IOC voters NO longer get a vote under the "new-norm" these days. They just merely rubber-stamp whatever the BNC whims are.

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Delhi was building a new subway/monorail / new fly-overs when I was there.  That will count for something.  The hotels and embassies are there.  There is NOTHING in Ahmenabad.  Modi is sorely mistaken if he thinks his hick town will attract the majority of the IOC voters.  

They voted for Brisbane, so...

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Where have I heard that one before! :lol:

But just a reminder, that the majority of IOC voters NO longer get a vote under the "new-norm" these days. They just merely rubber-stamp whatever the BNC whims are.

True.  But I hope the BNC at least listens to the technical experts they hire.  From London, Paris, Rio, Tokyo, LA, even Brisbane, they will give their most prized commodity to "Ahmenabad"??  R u kidding me??

And maybe if there's going to be an "Indian" host city in the future, perhaps Durban, RSA, will finally step up to the plate?  First in Africa?  Or "first" in the most populous but HIGHLY INCOMPETENT country on the planet??  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

http:// Olympic bid: Gujarat govt plans to acquire 750 acres Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com › city › articleshow

https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/ahmedabad/india-dream-host-2036-olympics-ahmedabad-plan-9130571/

spacer.pngr/indiansports - Conceptual image of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Sports Enclave in Ahmedabad.r/indiansports - Conceptual image of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Sports Enclave in Ahmedabad.r/indiansports - Conceptual image of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Sports Enclave in Ahmedabad.Trust me, I'm not too happy about this either. In an ideal world, the IOC would either tell India that if they want to win, they need to bid Mumbai or Delhi, or this sports investment would be going to those cities. Ahmedabad should not be the sight of India's first Olympics. The Olympics, and India, need one of those internationally recognized cities in India for these Indian games to really live up to their potential. But whether we like it or not, Ahmedabad is happening. Populous just designed a beautiful master plan for Ahmedabad (shown above). Ahmedabad is also bidding for the 2030 youth olympic games (Modi mistook it as the 2029 YOGs), and there is official confirmation that the 2036 bid is happening.

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

True.  But I hope the BNC at least listens to the technical experts they hire.  From London, Paris, Rio, Tokyo, LA, even Brisbane, they will give their most prized commodity to "Ahmenabad"??  R u kidding me??

If they didn't listen to them the last time, doubtful they'll listen to them the next time. But those experts will probably tell them anyway, that Ahmedabad "fits into the new-norm" mold (with all the building they're doing now).

That said, everyone here is an agreement that it shouldn't be Ahmeda-Bad for India's first Games. But as long as BNC (or succeeding leaders like them) are at the helm, then it is what it is.

The one thing that can be said about Ahmedabad, though, is that the space is easily there to build all the facilities. And they already have that new big a$s stadium. But other than that, there is no further appeal there. But who knows. Maybe BNC are just into underwhelming river cities lately. lol

Got it.  Didn't realize India is that serious.  But they'll need more than just that Park; hotels galore for example.  Could it be a Ahmedabad-Delhi-Mumbai shared event? I think Equestrian, Shooting, Modern P. will probably go to Delhi.  Yachting and other maritime events go to nearby Mumbai.  

I can see the Torch Relay lasting for 700 days --just to make it the MOST EXHAUSTIVE in history!!  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I agree in the concern in the accommodations dept. But the same can also be said of Brisbane, which is even smaller than Ahmedabad, even after including the Gold & Sunshine coasts.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Could it be a Ahmedabad-Delhi-Mumbai shared event? I think Equestrian, Shooting, Modern P. will probably go to Delhi.  Yachting and other maritime events go to nearby Mumbai.  

I actually think this is ideal. I'm not for regional bids at all, but if these specific sports to go Delhi and Mumbai, I'm all for that. Mumbai is perfect for the yachting and sailing disciplines, and surfing (?) maybe. Those facilities in Delhi can definitely come to good use, and I think equestrian, MP, and Shooting are the perfect low-key Olympic sports to hold there. Both Mumbai and Delhi can also be used for football venues. They need to be included someway other than football though so the world is not confined to seeing the first Indian games in Ahmedabad only.

@FYI was speaking about some European NOCs being notified that they should bid for 2040, rather than 2036. Do we really think Ahmedabad is 2036? Maybe Istanbul or Seoul? If they're still interested, two of those three, are going to have to wait for 2044 since 2040 is most definitely going to Europe if new frontier is chosen for 2036.

1 hour ago, venuedesignlover said:

I actually think this is ideal. I'm not for regional bids at all, but if these specific sports to go Delhi and Mumbai, I'm all for that. Mumbai is perfect for the yachting and sailing disciplines, and surfing (?) maybe. Those facilities in Delhi can definitely come to good use, and I think equestrian, Both Mumbai and Delhi can also be used for football venues. 

That happens now as it is. Sailing for Atlanta 1996 took place in Savannah. And for Paris this year, sailing will be held in Marseille. Equestrian for Beijing 2008 took place all the way down in Hong Kong. And soccer always gets farmed out anyway. So sailing in Mumbai & equestrian in Dehli for Ahmedabad 2036 wouldn't be that unusual.

1 hour ago, venuedesignlover said:

@FYI was speaking about some European NOCs being notified that they should bid for 2040, rather than 2036. 

I didn't say that they were "notified" (please don't misconstrue what I actually said). 

sorry @FYI, here it is. Not necessarily notified, but a general consensus of 2036 being promised elsewhere. It does seem a bit early for that, but who knows these days…

13 minutes ago, FYI said:

Sailing for Atlanta 1996 took place in Savannah. And for Paris this year, sailing will be held in Marseille. Equestrian for Beijing 2008 took place all the way down in Hong Kong.

Yes! This makes Delhi/Mumbai much more realistic. But the sports in those cities really have to be limited to shooting, equestrian, Modern Pent, yachting and sailing, surfing, football. The core sports should stay in the main Ahmedabad zone. Otherwise we’ll be seeing a national type venue plan, which in my opinion is not the point of the Olympics at all  (Switzerland 2038 works well though bc of its small size) 

With the grandeur of last year IOC Session in Mumbai, the decision made to include Cricket on LA 28 programme, rumours of potential India-based top partnerships (with Toyota, Panasonic, Bridgestone all leaving after Paris, there will be space for new partners…), the signals are not subtile and here for all to see.

India is currently to the Olympic Movement what China was in the late 90s: the next frontier.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

sorry @FYI, here it is. Not necessarily notified, but a general consensus of 2036 being promised elsewhere. It does seem a bit early for that, but who knows these days…

It's called reading the tea leaves, VDL. And a bit early for that? The "new-norm" allows for hosts to be selected at any given time. There's no set timetable for that anymore. So all bets are off now when it comes to the BNC's "new-norm" these days. Brisbane 2032 would've been "elected" as early as 2020 at the Tokyo session then, if it hadn't been for the pandemic.

And speaking of the tea leaves, here are some of them laid out for you..

1 hour ago, cfm Jeremie said:

With the grandeur of last year IOC Session in Mumbai, the decision made to include Cricket on LA 28 programme, rumours of potential India-based top partnerships (with Toyota, Panasonic, Bridgestone all leaving after Paris, there will be space for new partners…), the signals are not subtile and here for all to see.

India is currently to the Olympic Movement what China was in the late 90s: the next frontier.

I'd also add to this, all the investment going on in Ahmedabad these days, & the billionaire Ambani family which play footsie with Bach, which one of them also happens to be an IOC member from India as well.

Oh, & forgot to add the recent biggie!! The comment from Bach lately about possibly switching up the dates of the Summer Games from the summer to fall to accommodate for "climate change". But who would that benefit the most right off the bat, though?! India (& Qatar)!!

9 hours ago, FYI said:

Oh, & forgot to add the recent biggie!! The comment from Bach lately about possibly switching up the dates of the Summer Games from the summer to fall to accommodate for "climate change". But who would that benefit the most right off the bat, though?! India (& Qatar)!!

I don't know if it's that easy to change it for NBC (or Fox if Fox outbids NBC in the next round) or the Japanese and European networks?  The July-August window works best for their yearly programming.  

LA was picked 11 years early (2017); same as Brisbane (2021).  So, going by that -- if the IOC will appoint a "New Frontiers" '36 host (Ahmedabad, Istanbul or Doha), then it will have to be next year!  But even if India will have SOME of the stadia in Ahmedabad ready (I mean, they can't host just Field Hockey and Cricket), they have been such INCOMPETENT organizers in the past (esp. w/ the CWG 2010 -- and an IOC Meeting is TOTALLY different)--only half a dozen EXPERTLY-run World Championships would convince me to give the SOG to India.  (And I think the IOC should have Seoul ready as a 2036 back-up if it's stupid enough to give 2036 to India.)  But then again, why should I care --I probably won't be around by then anyway!  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 5/19/2024 at 1:10 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

What are you saying?  Delhi did not put itself up against Brisbane in the last round.  

My point is that if you are implying that Ahmedabad is somehow too obscure, I am doubtful that will be enough to turn off the IOC (especially if it has the appreciation of Modi/Bach). 

Sydney and Melbourne could easily be seen as the Mumbai/Delhi to Ahmedabad's Brisbane.

4 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

My point is that if you are implying that Ahmedabad is somehow too obscure, I am doubtful that will be enough to turn off the IOC (especially if it has the appreciation of Modi/Bach). 

Sydney and Melbourne could easily be seen as the Mumbai/Delhi to Ahmedabad's Brisbane.

The world knows more of Brisbane since 1982 when it hosted the CWG then.  And the world also knows it as Oz's 3rd or 4th city depending on how one ranks Canberra.  I mean after Kolkotta, Mumbai, Delhi -- India has other better known cities -- Madras, Agra, Jaipur, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Simla, Lucknow, even sleepy Ponidcherry, etc..  Even Bin Ladin's last hideout in Abbottabad is better known that Ahmedabad.  

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't know if it's that easy to change it for NBC (or Fox if Fox outbids NBC in the next round) or the Japanese and European networks?  The July-August window works best for their yearly programming.  

With the way content consumption has changed so much over the years, does the traditional way of doing things even matter anymore? Especially when Bach mentioned it because of "climate change" as the reason. Plus, surely it'd just be a one-off here-&-there anyway.

26 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The world knows more of Brisbane since 1982 when it hosted the CWG then. 

Oh, come on now. Rol's just said the other day said, that most of the world probably doesn't even know that Paris, PARIS, is hosting this year's creme-de-la-creme Olympic Games! And you expect the world now to know more about Brisbane hosting the lesser-tier event of the CWG's (which are practically extinct now as it is) which they hosted more than 40 years ago?? :blink:

31 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And the world also knows it as Oz's 3rd or 4th city depending on how one ranks Canberra.  

Right, that's why a Frenchy here thought that Brisbane was in "western" Australia! :lol:

^And at least Ahmedabad is larger than Brisbane. Plus, the world doesn’t appear to know as much as you think it does about world geography if this clip has anything to say about it! :lol:

1 hour ago, FYI said:

^And at least Ahmedabad is larger than Brisbane. Plus, the world doesn’t appear to know as much as you think it does about world geography if this clip has anything to say about it! :lol:

What is this STUPID stance you are taking -- defending the world's ignorance?  That's NOT my problem if the world doesn't know (MY) world the way I know it.  Pas de mon problem!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
x

Thing is, these aren’t the days any more where it’s driven by where the IOC members’ wives would like to go shopping.  The members are just there to rubber stamp what Bach wants for himself and his close mates - and he’s really bending over backwards to get chummy with the Indians.

On their side, Ahmedabad is where they’re focussing all their sports investment and development - it’s their sporting showpiece, and I think it already pretty “New Norm” ready (or not far off). It’s just looking likely that Bach’s and Modi’s wishes are coinciding.                                                                                         

• Thanks 1

And for the all the talk this past week on how the Olympic Games can or has "transform/ed" a city, & how the Games don't need to be staged behind or near famous landmarks in order for them to be successful, cause the main focus will be on the sports anyway, then I can actually see that being more the case with Ahmedabad the more I think about it. I'm sure Seoul & even Barcelona raised many eyebrows at the time of their elections. And whether anyone likes it or not, that's where Bach & Co. seem to be focusing their attention lately.

At the end of the day, Ahmedabad would be more about India (since it would be their first Games) than it would be about the city itself. Just like how when Durban was part of the discussion in the past, especially right when they were awarded the 2022 CWG's (& not Cape Town or Jo'burg), how it would've been more about (South) Africa than it would've been just about the city itself. It's the out-of-the-box thinking, & this could actually start to get intriguing in that sense.