Future Olympic Hosts

39 minutes ago, FYI said:

But more importantly, do the Hungarians have a JC, or determined rich emir, or billionaire family/PM up their sleeve?! ;)

They have Putin‘s lapdog as PM (who also loves Xina).

Don’t disagree with any of these about Budapest having SOME or the venues required, but it just doesn’t bode well for the IOC the same way other “new frontiers” like Istanbul and Ahmedabad do. Though undemocratic in their own right, Turkey and Istanbul bode much better for the IOC because of their world status and cultures many people across the world have fell in love with. At a time the IOC is all about image, those two bode far better than Hungary. I’d love to have a Budapest games at some point, I believe the city is beautiful. But it just is not competition with Istanbul or Ahmedabad. If the IOC does go new frontier in 2036, it might have a better but still slim chance. If the IOC goes Europe in 2036, I think it’ll be Madrid’s time. Also if the IOC wants to go Eastern Europe, something much better for its image would be Warsaw or Krakow in Poland.

10 minutes ago, venuedesignlover said:

Don’t disagree with any of these about Budapest having SOME or the venues required, but it just doesn’t bode well for the IOC the same way other “new frontiers” like Istanbul and Ahmedabad do. Though undemocratic in their own right, Turkey and Istanbul bode much better for the IOC because of their world status and cultures many people across the world have fell in love with. At a time the IOC is all about image, those two bode far better than Hungary. I’d love to have a Budapest games at some point, I believe the city is beautiful. But it just is not competition with Istanbul or Ahmedabad. If the IOC does go new frontier in 2036, it might have a better but still slim chance. If the IOC goes Europe in 2036, I think it’ll be Madrid’s time. Also if the IOC wants to go Eastern Europe, something much better for its image would be Warsaw or Krakow in Poland.

@Sir Rols

Poland has already nixed their 2036 plans, citing costs as the reason (don't think they'd be that much of a better option anyway). 

Quite frankly, I also see Hungary as too small as a nation, as well. They're barely 10 million people. I know they have a couple of new stadiums now, but would they actually need everything else that they would have to build for a 21st Century Summer Olympics, without them turning into white elephants post-Games.

Do they also have enough accommodations for such a smallish-city (it's even smaller than Brisbane as a region). I know it's quite a touristy city, but it still doesn't get up there in total numbers like their other major, bigger European tourist cities do.

8 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

I think you’re coming down to personal tastes. Nothing wrong with that, it’s almost impossible for any of us to look at such things without injecting our personal tastes and biases. For myself, I’d find Budapest more appealing than Warsaw or even Madrid. Ahmedabad doesn’t fire my enthusiasm the way a Bombay or Delhi would. Istanbul sure would be exotic, but many people here would say it has the opposite problem of Budapest - TOO crowded and populated. 

There’s nothing bizarre in ranking Budapest in a list of potential or desirable Olympic hosts. Many would consider better credentialed than many others.

So far, all I'm hearing is personal tastes & biases on how Budapest would be "cool & great", but still not paying too much attention on how feasible, logistically speaking, it would be. The Olympics are a HUGE challenge even for the best of prepared, larger cities.

They have their new National Athletics center, which has already been scaled back to 16K capacity after their World Athletics championships last year (way too small for the Olympics, unless they build it back out extensively). And could the ceremonies be held at Puskas arena, which would still be on the smallish side for a Summer Olympics, but still "servicable" :D, I suppose. But what about all the other stuff that they would need to build, & would they really need it all post-Games for such a small country.

For myself, I'd find Budapest more appealing than Warsaw or even Madrid.

Them would be fightin' words to those pesky Castellanos!! :lol:

9 minutes ago, FYI said:

So far, all I'm hearing is personal tastes & biases on how Budapest would be "cool & great", but still not paying too much attention on how feasible, logistically speaking, it would be. The Olympics are a HUGE challenge even for the best of prepared, larger cities.

They have their new National Athletics center, which has already been scaled back to 16K capacity after their World Athletics championships last year (way too small for the Olympics, unless they build it back out extensively). And could the ceremonies be held at Puskas arena, which would still be on the smallish side for a Summer Olympics, but still "servicable" :D, I suppose. But what about all the other stuff that they would need to build, & would they really need it all post-Games for such a small country.

I’m not one to meticulously scrutinise venue plans, but they’ve made it through in the past to the late stages under the Old Norm with more rigorously documented and approved bid plans, so I’d have no reason to think they couldn’t come up with a viable plan again.

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I’m not one to meticulously scrutinise venue plans, 

I've never been one before, either (always remember on how we'd always poke fun of Lord David having orgasms over the bid books in the past). But after the "new-norm", & all this stuff with Brisbane going on, I've been starting to pay much closer attention to them (still not Lord David high over them, though).

5 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

but they’ve made it through in the past to the late stages under the Old Norm with more rigorously documented and approved bid plans, so I’d have no reason to think they couldn’t come up with a viable plan again.

And yet Budapest still withdrew from contention for 2024. And that was basically their only recent time too, which lets also not read too much into that either. Budapest wouldn't have stood a chance against Paris & L.A. anyway. And it's been noted before, that had L.A. not been in the picture for a 'double-award' back in 2017, that the IOC more than likely wouldn't have done that if it was only Paris & Budapest left. I'd also be very curious to see what the 2024 IOC evaluation report said in the accommodations category when it came to Budapest. I also wonder how far into "continuous dialog" they are currently with the BNC. Something tells me not that far along like perhaps some of the others.

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

I've never been one before, either (always remember on how we'd always poke fun of Lord David having orgasms over the bid books in the past). But after the "new-norm", & all this stuff with Brisbane going on, I've been starting to pay much closer attention to them (still not Lord David high over them, though).

And yet Budapest still withdrew from contention for 2024. And that was basically their only recent time too, which lets also not read too much into that either. Budapest wouldn't have stood a chance against Paris & L.A. anyway. And it's been noted before, that had L.A. not been in the picture for a 'double-award' back in 2017, that the IOC more than likely wouldn't have done that if it was only Paris & Budapest left. I'd also be very curious to see what the 2024 IOC evaluation report said in the accommodations category when it came to Budapest. I also wonder how far into "continuous dialog" they are currently with the BNC. Something tells me not that far along like perhaps some of the others.

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that they’re going to get picked or host imminently. Just their suitability on one of these silly fantasy “100 years of hosts” lists. And on that basis, rather than being a bizarre addition, I’d say they’re Eastern Europe’s undoubted prime pick and possibility.

Well, this is GB's after all. And whenever somebody is advocating any city around here, is because they actually think it has a chance (silly 100 years lists or not). 2036 seems far in the distant future, but yet that is the next slot available for the next Olympic host to be chosen. The funny thing is, I didn't even mention Budapest 2036 (that was somebody else), which then someone else on here came along & misquoted me on it.

I have always thought that Budapest is an eternal underdog. But a lot of planets would have to be aligned for them to get the Games, and I don't think they are aligned.

This has already been raised, but I think the real problem that could scare the IOC is that Hungary is a country of only 10 million inhabitants. Because obviously, the smaller a country is, the smaller its economy is (with some exceptions), but today to organize the Summer Olympics it is a minimum of 10 billion. Even Paris, which reuses 90% of infrastructure and builds very few new things, will not be below this bar (we will end up around 10-11 billion euros; knowing that the final results will be known in 2025) .

And is the Hungarian economy capable of supporting the Olympics at 10 billion when their GDP is only 175 billion? I very much doubt it, and I think the IOC does too.

Its something that I think only Putin's Lap Dog could conjure.  It is the perfect corruption opportunity for his cabal to skim things off the top.  Great way for Orban to pay his people through "honest" means for their loyalty.  Also, that city has tons of hotels, not unlike Prague.  They would be set up well from that angle I think.  Its the "everything else", which while daunting, where there is a will (......to pay your boys), there's a way.

My purely own selfish choices, I feel Istanbul is my number one.  I feel it is finally their shot.  Then Budapest.  Then Seoul (while Seoul is probably logisitically and schematically the better fit, I would like to see budapest purely personally).  Then the whole second tear "All of Germany", the Gulf states, India, Indonesia.  I dont hate a Germany bid, but it seems so haphazard right now and all over the place.  

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

but they’ve made it through in the past to the late stages under the Old Norm with more rigorously documented and approved bid plans

Ironic right? How the new norm claims to be an extreme and right solution to the previous backlash of the games, but ends up being something Bach can use to his own corrupt advantage. I truly do agree with much of the backlash of the “old norm”, but the “new norm” is so unclear about so many things. While prioritizing only temporary venues and existing venues, it has awarded games to Brisbane and Nice which need not as extreme but still serious work to be done for venue preparation. It’s these contradictions which make me really dislike it and I don’t think it solves a lot of the bad press issues the IOC is suffering from now. It also doesn’t work in line with regional development goals (i.e Brisbane). Though I know the new norm isn’t the new selection process, both work off of each other to give bids to cities that don’t fit the new norm and won’t follow it (Nice’s insistence on development of speed skating inside Nice and it’s development of an ice cluster).

32 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

All of Germany

Is this confirmed? Is it like Rhine Ruhr?

Also side note: I would personally love an Eastern European games of some sort (maybe not from Russia atm but alas), but I think the time for Eastern Europe can come in another 20 years or so. Somewhere in the 2040s where economic growth can really take Eastern Europe to new places. Excited for a coming out party like Seoul 1988 and Tokyo 1964. But for now I really do think that big name cities and countries and hosts for SOGs can be one of the most important things needed for good press for the IOC and to keep the Olympics relevant and culturally significant.

17 minutes ago, venuedesignlover said:

Ironic right? How the new norm claims to be an extreme and right solution to the previous backlash of the games, but ends up being something Bach can use to his own corrupt advantage. I truly do agree with much of the backlash of the “old norm”, but the “new norm” is so unclear about so many things. While prioritizing only temporary venues and existing venues, it has awarded games to Brisbane and Nice which need not as extreme but still serious work to be done for venue preparation. It’s these contradictions which make me really dislike it and I don’t think it solves a lot of the bad press issues the IOC is suffering from now. It also doesn’t work in line with regional development goals (i.e Brisbane). Though I know the new norm isn’t the new selection process, both work off of each other to give bids to cities that don’t fit the new norm and won’t follow it (Nice’s insistence on development of speed skating inside Nice and it’s development of an ice cluster).

No not confirmed.  Attempting to read tea leaves.  Theres spread out, and then theres spread freakin out.

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that they’re going to get picked or host imminently. Just their suitability on one of these silly fantasy "100 years of hosts" list.

You were saying? Cause this sounds like way more than citing a city's suitability in one of these silly lists..

54 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Its something that I think only Putin's Lap Dog could conjure.  It is the perfect corruption opportunity for his cabal to skim things off the top.  Great way for Orban to pay his people through "honest" means for their loyalty.  Also, that city has tons of hotels, not unlike Prague.  They would be set up well from that angle I think.  Its the "everything else", which while daunting, where there is a will (......to pay your boys), there's a way.

1 hour ago, sebastien1214 said:

And is the Hungarian economy capable of supporting the Olympics at 10 billion when their GDP is only 175 billion? I very much doubt it, and I think the IOC does too.

It was a stretch even for Greece back in 2004. And the only reason they mainly got them was because it was the "birthplace of the Olympics" after their 2nd attempt. And now with inflation making everything so much more expensive, I doubt even Greece could pull it off (again) these days.

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

I dont hate a Germany bid, but it seems so haphazard right now and all over the place.  

10 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

No not confirmed.  Attempting to read tea leaves.  Theres spread out, and then theres spread freakin out.

What tea leaves are those? And have you not noticed how 'freakin' spread out Brisbane 2032 would be? Rhine Ruhr would be totally compact in comparison. But alas, it's too bad for them that they're unlikely to get it anyway (if Bachy-poo has anything to say, or not, about it).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

Nothing confirmed in Germany yet. Decision by end of the year probably.

17 hours ago, FYI said:

But alas, it's too bad for them that they're unlikely to get it anyway

Germany or Rhine Ruhr specifically? Could Berlin 2036 happen in any world? How about Frankfurt 2036? What do you think would help the Olympic movement more: a new frontier like Istanbul or India (hopefully not Ahmedabad. I want to see Mumbai or Delhi). Or a safe option in Europe? If safe option is what the IOC wants go to with in 2036 then it looks like it’s Europes bid to lose.

10 minutes ago, venuedesignlover said:

Germany or Rhine Ruhr specifically? Could Berlin 2036 happen in any world? How about Frankfurt 2036? What do you think would help the Olympic movement more: a new frontier like Istanbul or India (hopefully not Ahmedabad. I want to see Mumbai or Delhi). Or a safe option in Europe? If safe option is what the IOC wants go to with in 2036 then it looks like it’s Europes bid to lose.

The IOC will come out of 3 safe Olympic Games with Paris, Los Angeles and Brisbane; yes, I feel the mockery coming to Brisbane, I know, but I remain cautiously optimistic about the fact that the Australians will ultimately succeed in doing something good, you still have great expertise in organizing major events for a “small” country (in population).

2036 could be an opportunity for the IOC to try new things, explore new territories; It even seems written in advance to me.

36 minutes ago, venuedesignlover said:

Germany or Rhine Ruhr specifically? If safe option is what the IOC wants go to with in 2036 then it looks like it’s Europes bid to lose.

More like Europe as a whole. If you would've asked this even a few months ago, I would've said 2036 is Europe's to lose (the IOC has never gone more than two Summer Olympic cycles outside of Europe). But now that the IOC has changed so much under Bach (& Coates), with the "new-norm", all bets are off these days. If it really was about the "Olympic Movement", then the rest of the membership never would've been stripped of their voting powers. Now, the ultimate decision is made by just a very small few (who mostly have something at stake in it), which really doesn't "help" the Olympic Movement at all IMO.

34 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

2036 could be an opportunity for the IOC to try new things, explore new territories; It even seems written in advance to me.

It sure does. If one is "attempting to read the tea leaves", then they can see that 2036 is heading off to somewhere in West/South Asia. But IDK if I would entirely call it to try new things, explore new territories (but of course that's what the entities over at the BNC would sell it as).